Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's about time we had a compulsory military service

Options
  • 19-03-2021 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Finland, Denmark - all countries that Ireland is trying to match/outperform in "progressiveness"; all, unlike Ireland, have a period of compulsory military service.

I can't think of a better solution to the anti-social scumbaggery and hand-out accepting attitude of a lot of young people who leave school (or get a degree) and then have no intention of working. We have to put up with these 'adults' cruising around in their filthy '08, lowered Audis doing burnouts on every junction.

How about we fill the void in these people's lives and physically and psychologically test them for a period to give them a real appreciation for the world. It might just improve their lives and the people who would otherwise have to put up with them for years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Take it from one who had to do it, compulsory military service does absolutely nothing to improve your life ..other than perhaps turn you into an alcoholic.

Pointless orders, stupid chains of command, endless boredom, no sense of self and no sense of the greater good either, waste of time and money, nothing useful ever done.

Pointless ..unless you really want to become a soldier ...but you can do that without it being compulsory.

I'd rather live with the scumbags than die in some Russian field tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Why military? Why not compulsory volunteer service or something that would actually benefit the country a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

From what Colin Fennelly had to say about life in the Defence Forces it doesn’t seem like there’s a whole lot to do.

Maybe we could “address” that before sending in the youth of the nation for mandatory service?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Compulsory fix the roads service. Every single one near me that isn't a motorway has more holes and craters than the moon and the planet of Mars combined.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Why military? Why not compulsory volunteer service or something that would actually benefit the country a bit.

Straightening out delinquent behavior would benefit the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,983 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But would it straighten them out, or would it just be a school creating disciplined thugs for criminal gangs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Most of the young generation of irish men couldn’t hack it they’ve been feminised too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Putting scumbags through military training is just going to make them trained violent scumbags. No army would want them.

The general get out of doing a degree would force plenty of people who end up in gainful employment to do it due to assuming that only a degree makes you valuable. I didn't get a degree until I had a decent job and had bought a house for instance and that's not rare at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Considering the complete joke shop that is the Defence Forces I’d say sending our young thugs in for a year of training would be like finishing school for clown college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It's simply not feasible to mandate military service in the Free State army which many do not recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But would it straighten them out, or would it just be a school creating disciplined thugs for criminal gangs?

With training in use of weapons....

Has the OP really thought this through?

• peasant wrote: »
    Take it from one who had to do it, compulsory military service does absolutely nothing to improve your life ..other than perhaps turn you into an alcoholic.

Pointless orders, stupid chains of command, endless boredom, no sense of self and no sense of the greater good either, waste of time and money, nothing useful ever done.

Pointless ..unless you really want to become a soldier ...but you can do that without it being compulsory.

Yeah fair enough but you probably already had a work ethic. I can think of many reasons why it would be useful for all the scrotes congregating in my local area (North Inner City).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Reminds me of this:

You don't change behaviour by putting them in the army, they simply apply any skills they learn to their anti-social behaviour, after two years you have a scumbag with weapons training. Compulsory military service is a place to lay low if you are wanted by the law, Our resources as not as big as the US military so you can't serve in Germany when wanted in the state of Tennessee.

On the flip-side have you considered all the good men you either corrupt or bully while in the military?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

I don't think we could afford it to be honest. They can't even give the lads they have a fair wage. The public's got no respect for them neither.

Also, I mean you hear about these abuse stories. What would they do to a bunch of young lads eh. Like is it the safest place for them to go.

What about some compulsory community service or something, maybe could be a way to go.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Finland, Denmark - all countries that Ireland is trying to match/outperform in "progressiveness"; all, unlike Ireland, have a period of compulsory military service.

I can't think of a better solution to the anti-social scumbaggery and hand-out accepting attitude of a lot of young people who leave school (or get a degree) and then have no intention of working. We have to put up with these 'adults' cruising around in their filthy '08, lowered Audis doing burnouts on every junction.

How about we fill the void in these people's lives and physically and psychologically test them for a period to give them a real appreciation for the world. It might just improve their lives and the people who would otherwise have to put up with them for years.

First of all have you actually ever served in the defense forces?

Now not alone do I have experience of the Irish defense forces, but I also have had a lot of contact Swiss military authorities as well. And while it is true that Switzerland has compulsory military service, very few actually serve in comparison to the potential number that should. First there is the option to do community service, the number excused on medical, education and training grounds. And the most frequent excuse a letter from your employer stating that you are needed at work. And I have written many of those letters of the past third years and only once has one been rejected.

And of course, as with any militia type army conscripts are not given to the kind of discipline you expect. Nobody ever expects them to become serious soldiers, so it a case of going through the motions in as painless a way as possible.

And given your particular attitude for targeting certain people that you dislike, why in heavens name would you think it would idea to turn then into efficient killers? They might target you!

As for an appreciation of the real world, they will get a certain view of a certain part of the world, which may or may not be helpful.

You post is just a rant, not a serious proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Training scrotes how to use weapons properly, what could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Shur maybe move to one of those countries, and let us know how you get on during your service, while we take it easy here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

**** off. No way in hell any child of mine is being put into mandatory military service.

Less innocent bystanders I guess

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's simply not feasible to mandate military service in the Free State army which many do not recognise.

You are very much in the minority, but say it often enough and you might believe it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yeah fair enough but you probably already had a work ethic. I can think of many reasons why it would be useful for all the scrotes congregating in my local area (North Inner City).

The army has nothing to teach anyone in peacetime. Hard to convey a work ethic when there is no real work to do. Army training for conscripts is just PE with occasional guns .

Yell yes Sir, no Sir loud enough and try not to stick out (positively or negatively, either one earns you extra duty :D).

Scrotes are good at that already, it's just finishing school for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,851 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

buried wrote: »
    Compulsory fix the roads service. Every single one near me that isn't a motorway has more holes and craters than the moon and the planet of Mars combined.

But sure if everyone was fixing the roads, how would we know who to vote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This old gem of a thread again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

America uses it's military recruitment as a way to move people up the social ladder, giving them an education and tangible skills, good in principal but johnny with his 100 previouse convictions is making too much money for lazy lawyers

JJayoo wrote:
    America uses it's military recruitment as a way to move people up the social ladder, giving them an education and tangible skills, good in principal but johnny with his 100 previouse convictions is making too much money for lazy lawyers

Then ejects them when they're of no use to the military, with nothing, lovely country!

• Registered Users Posts: 52,010 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think he means it to be like a Boot Camp to put discipline into the lives of the young criminals who are on our streets creating havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

But sure if everyone was fixing the roads, how would we know who to vote for?

This is why I'm flabbergasted no politician or party has had the notion to do this scheme. They'd be voted in for centuries on end if they brought this in. I'm not talking about just resurfacing the roads. I'm saying get right down to the bedrock as the foundation for all roads. Get them digging right right down there and have the roads pristine for centuries.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I think he means it to be like a Boot Camp to put discipline into the lives of the young criminals who are on our streets creating havoc.

Yup, because discipline resolves all complex social problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

We would not be able to afford it.

Advertisement