Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Fetal Pole 7 weeks

Options
  • 20-03-2021 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all, I’m currently 7 + 3 according to LMP, this date is also consistent with the positive ovulation tests I got on day 16 of my cycle. I tested positive on the 24th of February.
    I went for an early ultrasound test as recommended by my GP. I was suffering pretty bad anxiety and fear that something wasn’t right. She thought seeing a HB might reassure me.
    Anyways, the sonographer could see a gestational sack and a yolk sac. No fetal pole or HB. She couldn’t get accurate measurements. She said she reckoned no more than 5 weeks, she said to come back in 7-10 days to be rescanned but said the fact I’m so confident about dates means that it’s likely the pregnancy hasn’t progressed.
    I’m absolutely devastated. Turning to google I’ve read some success stories but am trying not to get any hopes up. I don’t know how I’m going to work and carry on ‘normal’ for the next 7 days.
    Has anyone been in a similar situation?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

If you can, take some time off work. There is a lot to process. Everyone is different and every pregnancy is different so no one can give you any insight into your own body. I was about 5.4 weeks pregnant when I had a similar experience but I had had a bleed that landed me in EPU. I miscarried naturally while awaiting the follow up scan, but again, mine was a different situation to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Going through the same thing OP....Well my OH is physically going through it...

It's been a sh!t week, we are due a scan next week, but it's most likely just to confirm that the pregnancy isn't progressing(Have read lots of stories online where the Dr's were proven wrong, and the pregnancy progressed)...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Going through the same thing OP....Well my OH is physically going through it...

It's been a sh!t week, we are due a scan next week, but it's most likely just to confirm that the pregnancy isn't progressing(Have read lots of stories online where the Dr's were proven wrong, and the pregnancy progressed)...

I’m really sorry to hear you and your OH are also experiencing this. It’s awful the wait! I have also read positive stories but I’m trying not to get my hopes up too much.
    I wish you both the best of luck with your next scan.

If you can, take some time off work. There is a lot to process. Everyone is different and every pregnancy is different so no one can give you any insight into your own body. I was about 5.4 weeks pregnant when I had a similar experience but I had had a bleed that landed me in EPU. I miscarried naturally while awaiting the follow up scan, but again, mine was a different situation to yours.

Yes, the reason I was prompted to go for such an early scan was how different this pregnancy is towards my last, I just had a gut feeling. It’s odd I still have all the normal pregnancy symptoms & +ve tests but I guess it’s just a waiting game.
    Thank you for the advice. I’m sorry your pregnancy ended this was. It’s heartbreaking.
    I came to work today. Still unsure if it was the right decision but it’s a distraction. Will call my GP Monday but I know she can’t do much.

YI guess it’s just a waiting game.

It really is. And despite anything you do now, the outcome will be what it is, either a healthy pregnancy or a loss. The powerlessness is horrible. That is why it is so important to rest and look after yourself for you and your mental health. Again I know my situation was different in that I miscarried but one of the biggest regrets I have is just powering on through that time and not looking after myself. Hindsight is a great thing but use supports if you have them x

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It is just a waiting game unfortunately.I have been very positive on my dates, but yet on my first they told me I was out (I wasn't, I had been using ovulation sticks), I was 8 days behind in measurements all along and they changed my due date at the 20 week scan.I had a 6 week scan on that one too, and back in after 10 days.The stress is unreal. It is incredibly hard to know, but here's hoping it works out well for you
    Edit to say my first is a healthy 6 year old now.

shesty wrote: »
    It is just a waiting game unfortunately.I have been very positive on my dates, but yet on my first they told me I was out (I wasn't, I had been using ovulation sticks), I was 8 days behind in measurements all along and they changed my due date at the 20 week scan.I had a 6 week scan on that one too, and back in after 10 days.The stress is unreal. It is incredibly hard to know, but here's hoping it works out well for you
    Edit to say my first is a healthy 6 year old now.

Thank you so much. I’m really pleased to hear that you had a positive outcome.
    I’ve 6 days to wait which feels like an eternity but thankfully my 3 year old will keep me occupied.
    My partner is very positive because at 24 weeks pregnant with our first we went for 2 different opinions because of measurements of the ventricles in our child’s brain. Everything turned out okay and the consultant apologised for the distress caused (old equipment was to blame??) but I feel this is an entirely different scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭uptheduffagain

Nothing to add, but hope everything works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Bambinoonboard

Nothing to add, but hope everything works out for you.

To both Ginny and OP, I am so sorry to hear you're going through this waiting game.

Ginny, I experienced the same in the past. We had to wait 2 weeks to return for a 2nd scan. As shesty said, the stress is real. I really feel for both you and the OP, and partner (s) of course too upon reading this.

I'm now currently 6 weeks pregnant and waiting for our early pregnancy scan this Thursday.

Please, take my one little tuppence worth of advice and take the time off work if at all possible. In the past I didn't. It impacted hugely on my health and day to day for months afterwards in the past. I had just started a new job and was asked would be back in the following day after D&C which I agreed to. The last thing I wish to do is scaremonger, but please think of you. Nows not the time to people please, as we love to do Ireland for thfear of causing offense. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way.

Take care of yourself and best of luck over the coming days. As hard as it may be, try and do whatever it takes to distract. The worst part about it is the continued discomforting symptoms you're experiencing. Please God, your next scans will bring good news.

To both Ginny and OP, I am so sorry to hear you're going through this waiting game.

Ginny, I experienced the same in the past. We had to wait 2 weeks to return for a 2nd scan. As shesty said, the stress is real. I really feel for both you and the OP, and partner (s) of course too upon reading this.

I'm now currently 6 weeks pregnant and waiting for our early pregnancy scan this Thursday.

Please, take my one little tuppence worth of advice and take the time off work if at all possible. In the past I didn't. It impacted hugely on my health and day to day for months afterwards in the past. I had just started a new job and was asked would be back in the following day after D&C which I agreed to. The last thing I wish to do is scaremonger, but please think of you. Nows not the time to people please, as we love to do Ireland for thfear of causing offense. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way.

Take care of yourself and best of luck over the coming days. As hard as it may be, try and do whatever it takes to distract. The worst part about it is the continued discomforting symptoms you're experiencing. Please God, your next scans will bring good news.

Thank you so much for your advice. I appreciate it.
    I’m powering on with work & assignments until the next scan, but I will absolutely take time out should things not work out in our favour. I wouldn’t want to compromise my mental or physical health. Thankfully I work in an place where absence is easily covered and they are fairly considerate.

• Advertisement

Thank you so much for your advice. I appreciate it.
    I’m powering on with work & assignments until the next scan, but I will absolutely take time out should things not work out in our favour. I wouldn’t want to compromise my mental or physical health. Thankfully I work in an place where absence is easily covered and they are fairly considerate.

Good on you Ginny. It helps that you have a considerate Workplace too should you need time off regardless. I'll be thinking of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Just wanted to say that I went through this in October, I went for a follow up scan a week later and there had been very little growth so the pregnancy wasn't viable. It was so difficult as I had morning sickness and everything, felt like my body was tricking me.

My consultant explained that sometimes the cells multiply so quickly that they skip chromosomes and so the baby doesn't develop as it should. I found comfort in the fact that it wasn't something I had done wrong and I would much rather go through the loss at 8 weeks than have a very difficult decision at 20 weeks.

I hope that your dates are just a little off and everything works out for you.

xalot wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that I went through this in October, I went for a follow up scan a week later and there had been very little growth so the pregnancy wasn't viable. It was so difficult as I had morning sickness and everything, felt like my body was tricking me.

My consultant explained that sometimes the cells multiply so quickly that they skip chromosomes and so the baby doesn't develop as it should. I found comfort in the fact that it wasn't something I had done wrong and I would much rather go through the loss at 8 weeks than have a very difficult decision at 20 weeks.

I hope that your dates are just a little off and everything works out for you.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Yes I agree as devastating as any loss is, I do think the earlier the better.
    Thank you for your support and sharing your experience.
    I appreciate it.

Thanks, I got pregnant straight after the D&C and am 17 weeks now so things are looking up.

Keeping everything crossed for you, I know the wait is torture. If you have any specific queries feel free to private message me. I had a friend who'd been through something similar and her advice was invaluable at the time.

xalot wrote: »
    Thanks, I got pregnant straight after the D&C and am 17 weeks now so things are looking up.

Keeping everything crossed for you, I know the wait is torture. If you have any specific queries feel free to private message me. I had a friend who'd been through something similar and her advice was invaluable at the time.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. It’s the loneliest experience because I’ve no friends or family that have experienced it.
    Congratulations, I’m so happy for you 😊 best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

In case anyone in the future reads and is in a similar position.
    I returned today after 8 days and there was a fetal pole and heartbeat of 90bpm. Measuring 5 weeks and 6 days as opposed to 8+4 according to LMP.
    I’m still in limbo for another 2 weeks, because there is a delay in my blood work and it’s impossible to get a GP or nurse appointment. So when I have that and a further scan I was told they could give me a better prognosis.
    According to the new date I’d have gotten pregnant after my positive test.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

This was me last summer. Went for 3 scans in total, embryo died at 6 weeks 6 days when I should have been 11 weeks. Took ten days to grow 3 days between the first and second scan and it had a very slow heart rate. Its such a difficult time esp when its drawn out and you have uncertainty. I got pregnant straight away afterwards though and I'm now 35 weeks pregnant :-) wishing you all the best X

Missed miscarriage confirmed at 10w+4.
    I just said I’d update because when I was Googling & reading threads I found a lot of them had no follow up.
    I wish the outcome was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I just said I’d update because when I was Googling & reading threads I found a lot of them had no follow up.

Really sorry to hear that. Hope you are feeling ok.

I am so sorry to read this but it is very kind of you to update your story to help others in the future. Please mind yourself. Rest and try to not put any pressure on yourself to be or do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Sorry to hear this. Allow yourself to grieve and time to heal. Know it wasn't anything you did or didn't do. These things are very common unfortunately. Take care X

Thank you. I appreciate it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Aw Ginny.So sorry.Take your time, and please don't blame yourself.

I'm so sorry Ginny, having been through the exact same emotional rollercoster all I can say is be kind to yourself. I'm not sure what kind of management you have planned but I had a D&C during COVID restrictions so feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭uptheduffagain

So sorry to hear this, mind yourself Ginny.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. It’s the loneliest feeling in the world. I’m currently waiting on my EPAU to call me back with an appointment. Either way I’m hoping it’ll be medically managed at this point. I’ve exams in 2/3 weeks and I’d like to be somewhat physically recovered, though at this point I’ve no idea how I’m going to face them!
    Thank goodness for forums like these, to have support. Thanks fully I’m the first in my immediate family to experience this and most of my friends haven’t had children yet.

I think you will be medically managed Ginny, they will probably bring you into hospital for a couple of days at this stage of a pregnancy.I have had a D&C (different circumstance) and it was a short procedure with no problems.Fingers crossed you get sorted out soon with a plan and on the mend.

Ginny, I feel so sad for you reading your posts. Yes, you're entirely right, it sure is an awful lonely, empty and ultimately heartbreaking feeling. A loss is a loss, no matter ho big or small and the effect it has can be heartbreaking.

The very best of luck with availing of a D&C as well as your exams. Is there any way they can be resat or repeated in the summer!?

In time, when it feels the right time for you, maybe you can do something something to mark your baby's loss. If you ever need to talk or advice, please PM me. I have experienced at the time when one or two family/ friend members who hadn't yet children. It was very difficult as I felt no one quite understood and one very close friend labelled it "only a missed miscarriage and not a real baby." I've never forgotten it it hence my warrior typing!!! It, along with other awful comments have changed my relationship entirely with the girl to be honest as well. I often wonder was it just being to being misinformed even though it felt like the world was out to get me at my most vulnerable point in life. The point I'm trying to make is, it can be extremely difficult to comprehend somebody's loss if one hasn't personally experienced it, however that does not excuse the impact behaviours or comments about it to you may be delivered. I'm not saying this will happen at all - and I hope it doesn't and that you have supportive and compassionate family and friends - but just a little heads up that you are entitled to feel enraged/angry and peed off at - it's all part of grief - and you're not going mad.

If you ever need to chat please PM me. In time, I hope you can mark your babies loss somehow, should that be something you would like to do. Take care of yourself for now and remember now is the time to think of number one. Don't be a marytr. Look after yourself.

Ginny, I feel so sad for you reading your posts. Yes, you're entirely right, it sure is an awful lonely, empty and ultimately heartbreaking feeling. A loss is a loss, no matter ho big or small and the effect it has can be heartbreaking.

The very best of luck with availing of a D&C as well as your exams. Is there any way they can be resat or repeated in the summer!?

In time, when it feels the right time for you, maybe you can do something something to mark your baby's loss. If you ever need to talk or advice, please PM me. I have experienced at the time when one or two family/ friend members who hadn't yet children. It was very difficult as I felt no one quite understood and one very close friend labelled it "only a missed miscarriage and not a real baby." I've never forgotten it it hence my warrior typing!!! It, along with other awful comments have changed my relationship entirely with the girl to be honest as well. I often wonder was it just being to being misinformed even though it felt like the world was out to get me at my most vulnerable point in life. The point I'm trying to make is, it can be extremely difficult to comprehend somebody's loss if one hasn't personally experienced it, however that does not excuse the impact behaviours or comments about it to you may be delivered. I'm not saying this will happen at all - and I hope it doesn't and that you have supportive and compassionate family and friends - but just a little heads up that you are entitled to feel enraged/angry and peed off at - it's all part of grief - and you're not going mad.

If you ever need to chat please PM me. In time, I hope you can mark your babies loss somehow, should that be something you would like to do. Take care of yourself for now and remember now is the time to think of number one. Don't be a marytr. Look after yourself.
    Thank you so much. I mean that so much.
    My appointment went okay yesterday. The midwives in the EPUs are saints. They want me to wait another week before intervention, she thinks from the scan it could be imminent. Regardless I’ve to return next week. They have assured me the choice will be mine with regards to a D&C or tablets. I’d say I came across as the coldest person they have met. I genuinely feel numb. I can’t cry anymore, and I absolutely feel angry. At myself, at people making comments, at people avoiding me, at my doctor who told me not to worry!! All natural of course!
    I also rang my GP to get signed off work for the week! She’s on leave so they want me to do a phone consultation with a locum doctor which I see as a waste of time. Yes I’ve lots of questions but I’m pretty sure most can’t be answered.

• Advertisement

Thank you so much. I mean that so much.
    My appointment went okay yesterday. The midwives in the EPUs are saints. They want me to wait another week before intervention, she thinks from the scan it could be imminent. Regardless I’ve to return next week. They have assured me the choice will be mine with regards to a D&C or tablets. I’d say I came across as the coldest person they have met. I genuinely feel numb. I can’t cry anymore, and I absolutely feel angry. At myself, at people making comments, at people avoiding me, at my doctor who told me not to worry!! All natural of course!
    I also rang my GP to get signed off work for the week! She’s on leave so they want me to do a phone consultation with a locum doctor which I see as a waste of time. Yes I’ve lots of questions but I’m pretty sure most can’t be answered.

Oh Ginny your poor thing. This is such an unfair and well, horrible situation to be in. Good on you for taking the plunge in taking time off work for the week. A locum doctor, not at all what you need right now. Familiarity and your own doctor who knows you and your history would be far more ideal. Unfortunate.

I'm so glad your experience with the EPU midwives was positive and that you were met by warmth and compassion by the sounds of it. Best of luck with your decision between D&C or tablets. When I had my D&C, from recollection I was given tablets and some time later taken for D&C. Maybe both options have pros and cons from an emotional point of view, however, I'm not sure which is medically the best etc. Are you swaying towards either choice at all?

It's natural to feel angry. Allow it. Vent it. Do what you need. Do not feel guilty and block out/ ignore those who may have nothing good to contribute right now. Your doctor's comment was a little... thoughtless. Wrap yourself up in a blanket with something comforting x

Advertisement