Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weightloss

Options
  • 20-03-2021 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

How does everyone calculate their calories burned through exercise. I'm running and walking regularly and wear a fitbit but i think t gives too high of a value for calories burned.
    I'm thinking of ether starting from a low base ie..about 800 calories deficit and just adding the calories burned to my daily allowance ..
    or starting with a lower deficit and maybe caculating 1/2 or 3/4 of fitbit calories burned into allowance ..
    How do u d it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I track my activities but don't add in the calories burnt to my daily allowance. It's too inaccurate. I also try to view exercise as a hobby/health/mindset thing as opposed to seeing it as a way to just burn calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I track my activities but don't add in the calories burnt to my daily allowance. It's too inaccurate. I also try to view exercise as a hobby/health/mindset thing as opposed to seeing it as a way to just burn calories.

I would agree with above, i exercise because i enjoy it and good for my mental health and wellbeing. I just try to cut out certain things from my diet.

I assume the smart watches and apps are only an estimate of calories burned? Hard to know how to get an exact measurement.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Hi yes i have myfitness pal set up ..my regular maintenance calories would be 2000 and to lose a .5 kg a week its 1750..
    My issue is i run every day nearly and this is full mental.health and well being ..but will find it hard to maintain this on just 1750 a day ..i suppose i will.just have to find a optimum calorie amount

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hi yes i have myfitness pal set up ..my regular maintenance calories would be 2000 and to lose a .5 kg a week its 1750..
    My issue is i run every day nearly and this is full mental.health and well being ..but will find it hard to maintain this on just 1750 a day ..i suppose i will.just have to find a optimum calorie amount

I would be more inclined to underestimate burned by exercise and work off a low amount. See how it goes based off that. If nothing changes over a few weeks (or it goes up), chances are you might have overestimated calories burned. On the flip side, you might see level of loss that allows for a modest increase in calories but still being in a deficit.

All of the above is based on accurate tracking in MFP, which isn't always the case.

Advertisement