Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - No claim bonus question/opinion

• 20-03-2021 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49 ytjeffsy29

Question:
    My partner and I have two cars: we don't really need two cars but we don't want to let the insurance on either car lapse, because if we need the two cars at some point in the future we can only be insured again as new drivers i.e. we need to pay the full amount as if either of us were starting all over again, so we keep the two cars for the sake of not losing our 50% no claims bonus. Both of us have a 50% no claims bonus. (Although getting insurance for an old car with a valid NCT also seems to be impossible nowadays)

Can something be done about this? Not only would it save money for people but it would also take a lot of cars off the roads. Perhaps the 'no claims bonus could be acknowledged for 2,3, or 4 years before it would expire.

Comments

Aviva acknowledge the No Claims Discount for two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Guffy

Question:
    My partner and I have two cars: we don't really need two cars but we don't want to let the insurance on either car lapse, because if we need the two cars at some point in the future we can only be insured again as new drivers i.e. we need to pay the full amount as if either of us were starting all over again, so we keep the two cars for the sake of not losing our 50% no claims bonus. Both of us have a 50% no claims bonus. (Although getting insurance for an old car with a valid NCT also seems to be impossible nowadays)

Can something be done about this? Not only would it save money for people but it would also take a lot of cars off the roads. Perhaps the 'no claims bonus could be acknowledged for 2,3, or 4 years before it would expire.

I believe it is fir two years. Open to correction though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Swap over who is insured on the car each year. You this year your wife the next.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ytjeffsy29

Swap over who is insured on the car each year. You this year your wife the next.

That's a good idea but can you do that if you're not the registered owner of the car?

That's a good idea but can you do that if you're not the registered owner of the car?

Between husband and wife thats not an issue afaik but I don't know if thats the same for all insurance companies.

Liberty for example https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/help-centre/insuring-an-unregistered-vehicle

• Advertisement

btw you don't always loose everything if your NCB expires. Mine did and to get the business I think I was given 50% (had had max 75%) because of something the agent called named driver experience - but they might have been making that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Be careful. A partner is not a spouse. Check the wording as to who can be the registered owner of the vehicle

Be careful. A partner is not a spouse. Check the wording as to who can be the registered owner of the vehicle

But a partner is fine by Liberties definition which is why I quoted it.

Aviva say Is registered in you or your spouse/partner's name

I'm sure there are others

Simply say no but suggest what I was going to suggest and just change the ownership documents. https://www.simplyinsure.ie/can-i-insure-a-car-that-i-dont-own . Maybe you wouldn't want to do that on an new car you want to sell later but on an old family car I'd have no hesitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

But a partner is fine by Liberties definition which is why I quoted it.

Aviva say Is registered in you or your spouse/partner's name

I'm sure there are others

Simply say no but suggest what I was going to suggest and just change the ownership documents. https://www.simplyinsure.ie/can-i-insure-a-car-that-i-dont-own . Maybe you wouldn't want to do that on an new car you want to sell later but on an old family car I'd have no hesitation.

I wasn't referring to you when I posted my accurate comments.

Advertisement