Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Garden ideas

Options
  • 20-03-2021 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to help with ideas for how to brighten up our front garden. I’m off work next week so just want to make a plan. I have 3 bags of top soil ready to use but just not sure what plants/flowers to buy and how to organise. Any advice much appreciated. Pics attached.

Comments

newportlad wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to help with ideas for how to brighten up our front garden. I’m off work next week so just want to make a plan. I have 3 bags of top soil ready to use but just not sure what plants/flowers to buy and how to organise. Any advice much appreciated. Pics attached.

Are you digging out more beds or just adding to the raised bed? I'd dig out beds along the front and side wall and go with lots of structured, evergreen planting as your base. Check your orientation and plant accordingly. Then I'd put in some summer bedding in May for colour and loads of bulbs next autumn.

This is my front garden which I started from scratch last year (taken a month ago) and a raised bed I have out the back (taken last summer). I started with structure and am now working from there this year, adding perennials etc.

Happy to help with names of plants if you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Are you digging out more beds or just adding to the raised bed? I'd dig out beds along the front and side wall and go with lots of structured, evergreen planting as your base. Check your orientation and plant accordingly. Then I'd put in some summer bedding in May for colour and loads of bulbs next autumn.

This is my front garden which I started from scratch last year (taken a month ago) and a raised bed I have out the back (taken last summer). I started with structure and am now working from there this year, adding perennials etc.

Happy to help with names of plants if you need them.

Cheers for reply.. We want to replace everything in the raised bed except for the holly bush. And then add new raised beds along the front and side walls. Similiar to how you have your own front garden. it looks really nice btw, very neat!

The only issue with our fron garden is a lot of tree/bush stumps embedded in the ground which are pretty much impossible to remove. So want to plant something that will conceal them.

Could i get the name of the purple colour flowers/plants that you have

Cheers for reply.. We want to replace everything in the raised bed except for the holly bush. And then add new raised beds along the front and side walls. Similiar to how you have your own front garden. it looks really nice btw, very neat!

The only issue with our fron garden is a lot of tree/bush stumps embedded in the ground which are pretty much impossible to remove. So want to plant something that will conceal them.

Could i get the name of the purple colour flowers/plants that you have

Can you get a stump grinder and take out all the stumps? Mine was full of them and I took them all out.

The purple plant at the end is a wall flower called Bowles Mauves. Easiest plant ever to look after and flowers from now to November so ideal for what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Can you get a stump grinder and take out all the stumps? Mine was full of them and I took them all out.

The purple plant at the end is a wall flower called Bowles Mauves. Easiest plant ever to look after and flowers from now to November so ideal for what you are doing.

I had considered a stump grinder but the stumps are all pretty close to the ground, wasnt sure it would work, was going to try dig them out or just try and hide them with plants.
    Does a stump grinder allow you to actually remove the stump fully from the ground? ive attached a pic of one of them, they are all similiar shape/size.

Thanks for that flower recommendation, will try to find that over the weekend. Would you recommend planting it in a corner or does it matter?

I had considered a stump grinder but the stumps are all pretty close to the ground, wasnt sure it would work, was going to try dig them out or just try and hide them with plants.
    Does a stump grinder allow you to actually remove the stump fully from the ground? ive attached a pic of one of them, they are all similiar shape/size.

Thanks for that flower recommendation, will try to find that over the weekend. Would you recommend planting it in a corner or does it matter?

Stump grinder works best when close to the ground. If you had more leverage you could pull them out with a mini digger. Generally, digging them out by hand is a nightmare.

Mauves Bowle would work well in that raised bed near the house as it when it will form a semi-sphere with room on all sides and can look really well. It might only last two years, though but you can take cuttings and go again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement