Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Houses

Options
  • 20-03-2021 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Why does nobody build in Ireland wooden houses? In Swedish, Norwegian, or Canadian style. Some of them are better quality than most old houses, which cost 250k and more. I heard they are not popular because insurance companies have some problem here to insure them. However, the same insurance companies do that in Scandinavia. To build such a home include buying land; it would be triple cheaper. Everything depends on the location.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I think I've seen it mentioned in these sort of threads that those countries have a different type of climate to us - yes it's cold, but it's usually snowy as opposed to the regular rainfall we have here. Basically, Ireland is a lot damper than Scandinavia/Canada and wooden houses don't do so well in damp climates, as opposed to very cold, snowy places.

Am I remembering that right?...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I think I've seen it mentioned in these sort of threads that those countries have a different type of climate to us - yes it's cold, but it's usually snowy as opposed to the regular rainfall we have here. Basically, Ireland is a lot damper than Scandinavia/Canada and wooden houses don't do so well in damp climates, as opposed to very cold, snowy places.

Yup.

Another reason is simply that our tradesmen are experienced in what we currently build, and there is no demand for much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

I imagine it’s because the Irish climate is too wet which would lead to damp and rot down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Is this the type of house your talking about....
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-ard-aoibhinn-glengar/2943969
    I actually really like this .... but with the three beds only I think it will be too small

Also I've no idea what the maintenance on this would be like. Spoke with the auctioneer re the BER and he advised due to underfloor heating if this makes sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

This has been asked so many times before and it's always the same answer.
    If you are to build a wooden house to Irish housing regulations and BER standards, it won't look much like a Scandinavian or Canadian house anymore & won't be any cheaper to build.

If it was possible and cheaper you would see plenty of them built all over the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

As above, regs, plus the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

My brother in law is a carpenter who moved to Canada a few years ago during the recession. He’s happy enough working over there but is constantly commenting on the quality of the houses he works on. Basically held together with staple guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As kids We were read the 3 little pigs, wooden houses get blown down , brick houses don’t.

My brother in law is a carpenter who moved to Canada a few years ago during the recession. He’s happy enough working over there but is constantly commenting on the quality of the houses he works on. Basically held together with staple guns.

US/Canadian houses are designed for a short life span compared to European ones with 30 years being the typical lifespan before needing to be gutted or knocked.
    As such they are built quickly & what we would consider poor standards.
    Wood (soft) is plentiful & cheap & roofs are made from asphalt shingles rather than slate or tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm pretty sure that the houses in Barnhall Meadows, Leixlip, are prefabricated houses, as I didn't see them being built from brick, as the houses in Rinawade, Leixlip, were made.

Not sure how different prefabricated houses in the likes of Barnhall Meadows are from wooden houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Melzea

Look up passive houses they can ship them from germany or sweden
    Starts from 100,000 some places don't let you build wood I think carlow is one

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the houses in Barnhall Meadows, Leixlip, are prefabricated houses, as I didn't see them being built from brick, as the houses in Rinawade, Leixlip, were made.

Not sure how different prefabricated houses in the likes of Barnhall Meadows are from wooden houses.

The development, Kellett's Grove in Dunshaughlin was one of the first type of these houses in Ireland.
    They are pre-manufactured in Cavan by MHI.
    The are then pieced together with all internal fittings already installed if spec'd by developer/builder.

https://mhi.ie/our-process/

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jamon_serrano

https://mhi.ie/our-process/

Although there is no mention on the site, by looking at pictures they seem to be doing/using steel frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Philipmcnill

DoozerT6 wrote: »

Well if we could use those made with moon wood houses. I think much more solid than made with plasterboard on steel or wooden frame

laurah591 wrote: »
    Is this the type of house your talking about....
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-ard-aoibhinn-glengar/2943969
    I actually really like this .... but with the three beds only I think it will be too small

Also I've no idea what the maintenance on this would be like. Spoke with the auctioneer re the BER and he advised due to underfloor heating if this makes sense..

Very close but modern one - made from "moon wood" - thanks for the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

They are rare here, but do exist. I wanted to build one but the war office shot down that dream. I always liked this one in Louth.

IMG-20210322-193417.jpg

Melzea wrote: »
    Look up passive houses they can ship them from germany or sweden
    Starts from 100,000 some places don't let you build wood I think carlow is one

Thank I will have a look

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I dont accept that wooden houses dont suit our climate, however it does take skill and good design and you dont have it here. Same as cob (mud houses). Cob houses are perfectly viable here but there is no critical mass.

Advertisement