Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Access to back garden for micro digger

• 20-03-2021 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

We are planning some work to our garden (have a design) which would involve digging up and replacing an existing patio, digging a couple of flower beds, bringing in some sleepers. We have designed it to work with what we already have as much as possible to keep costs down.

The big issue is access for micro digger and bringing in materials as no side access (and neither neighbour has side access). Options seem to be (a) through the house.... though we have a suspended timber floor and I am extremely nervous about the weight of a micro digger on it. (B) crane one over (two storey house though there is a single storey garage extension) I assume this is crazy money. Would love to be corrected! (C) a lot of manpower and no microdigger.

Based in Dublin. We have a drive to the front so good access on that side. Total rear garden size is approx 110m.

One landscaper came to take a look (pre lockdown) and said unless he could get a machine in he wouldn't take the job.

Just wondering what other people have done in similar situations of if you know about this kind of thing! If you used a crane what was the cost? Could a jackhammer or some other hand held machine be used to break up the old patio as opposed to a digger? Could we use some sort of board to protect the floors in the house to bring in a micro digger that way?

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

A. Add Protection to the floor to spread the load, maybe overlapped ply sheets.
    B. Maybe ~700€ x 2 crane hire.
    C. Speaking As someone who paid 700 for pumping cement over the house for extension base. Just build the crane cost into your budget and save your back.. cheaper that physio in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Owlet

Thanks so much. That crane cost (appreciate it's a rough guess) isn't as outrageous as I was expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

how big of a job is it. it must be huge if spending 1400 on a crane and a few hundred to hire the microdigger are worth it.
    you would do a lot of work with a jackhammer in a day.
    you will still have to carry the debri out manually either way

what kind of patio is it, usually put down very loosly with very little structure under them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I had a job like this done in my old house - not as big as yours by the sound of it, but half concrete and half soil taken up and the whole thing paved.

All equipment in through the front door, and all the rubble and soil out through the house in wheelbarrows. A monumental PITA for all concerned, but the only way it could be done, and it was worth it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

It's quiet possible when the crane lands to remove the mini digger ,
    Load all debri in to skip bags for removal also and crane in all pallets of material to be used during the same visit.
    A bit of logistical organisation needed but can be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It's quiet possible when the crane lands to remove the mini digger ,
    Load all debri in to skip bags for removal also and crane in all pallets of material to be used during the same visit.
    A bit of logistical organisation needed but can be done

who takes on the liability in that case. skip bags can break or drop a rock etc.
    i have seen hiab drivers delivering stuff on site and pallets break and skatter bricks even 3 velux windows on the ground. i saw a guy tear open a tonne bag of stone and flatten a nice hedge.
    luckely noone was hurted but i wouldnt want that to happen 50 feet up in the air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Probably take extra precautions,double up the skip bags and strap the pallets.
    Never had to organise a crane myself but if I did I'd be looking at getting as much use out of it as possible for the time it's there.

Advertisement