Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different prices for new builds?

Options
  • 20-03-2021 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Moved into new build about 2.5 years ago. Had a conversation with neighbour recently, and it emerged they paid about 15k less than we did at the time. When I looked at proper.ie I see all different price ranges for the road we are on.

Exact same type of house, right next door. Moved in within days of each other.

I was a taken aback - I had thought all houses in that particular phase would have the same price? As in, generally there is no negotiation and the price is the price with the developers?

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Were they the exact same house?
    If one is end of terrace and one mid terrace the end of terrace will generally be cheaper.
    Could they have been released as parts of different phases?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Aspect and size of the garden can make a big difference. We paid a premium for south west - could have had an identical house for 10k less but with an east facing garden. Have spent many evenings sitting on the patio enjoying the sun, worth every penny in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Exact same house, 3 bed semi d, side by side.

I’m flummoxed - I know there were big price differences between phase 1 and phase 2 (when we both bought), but we bought at the same time.

There is obviously an explanation, but I can’t figure it out. I distinctly remember going to check the houses out, all the 3 bed semi d’s were a particular price. There was never a mention of different prices for the same type of house.

Perhaps there is something on the transaction side of things, but neighbour is adamant that that is what they paid (inclusive of HTB, which we both availed of)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Number 13? I've seen number 13s sell for 20k less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Show house, smaller garden, lower kitchen or bathroom spec. There are a 100 reasons why the same house may have been sold at different prices. At the end of the day it makes no difference. You own it. If and when you come to sell the price will be what ever the market prices it at then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

We are in a new build and the most common is the 4 bed semi, numerous different prices.

On the original site map were the houses colour coded?

The difference can be tiny. In our development the houses have 8sqm and less in the difference of size, some are gable entry, others have a slightly larger garden, larger driveway, better facing garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

Were they the exact same house?
    If one is end of terrace and one mid terrace the end of terrace will generally be cheaper.
    Could they have been released as parts of different phases?

Would an end terrace not be more expensive than a mid terrace?

billyhead wrote: »
    Would an end terrace not be more expensive than a mid terrace?

It would. I assume they made a mistake when typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Any alterations?

My neighbour bought a few months after me by which time the price had increased €5K but because I made a few alterations according to the PPR I paid more than my neighbour.

I never bought a new house, but I know someone who did, about 4 years ago. They were given a house price. Then they were given options. All rooms one colour, or you could pay extra for a different colour per room. Option of having more tiles in the bathrooms if you wished. Different finish or design to the standard kitchen would cost more, more plug sockets would cost more, etc.

Lots of things can make differences. It's perfectly plausible that every house on your row had the same asking price, but the buyers paid different amounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

chases0102 wrote: »
    Exact same house, 3 bed semi d, side by side.

I’m flummoxed - I know there were big price differences between phase 1 and phase 2 (when we both bought), but we bought at the same time.

There is obviously an explanation, but I can’t figure it out. I distinctly remember going to check the houses out, all the 3 bed semi d’s were a particular price. There was never a mention of different prices for the same type of house.

Perhaps there is something on the transaction side of things, but neighbour is adamant that that is what they paid (inclusive of HTB, which we both availed of)

Are they adjoining ? Is one casting a shadow in the others garden. Did one ask for extras ? Better bathroom, kitchen or floor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I never bought a new house, but I know someone who did, about 4 years ago. They were given a house price. Then they were given options. All rooms one colour, or you could pay extra for a different colour per room. Option of having more tiles in the bathrooms if you wished. Different finish or design to the standard kitchen would cost more, more plug sockets would cost more, etc.

Lots of things can make differences. It's perfectly plausible that every house on your row had the same asking price, but the buyers paid different amounts.

Yeah its this, you can get the builder to do things for you different to standard, no kitchen, higher spec kitchen, same for bathroom, get a whirlpool tub, full tiles, porcelain vs ceramic, different painting, doors etc. Then aspect and size of garden will also come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Buying a house is not the same as buying a packet of biscuits in lidl.
    Identical houses go at different prices...just like ..ahh..cars at a dealership. Or silage bales.

I know you can get discounts in lidl..like when things are out of date but I've never got cheaper biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

All down to additions.

Better kitchen - that's extra
    Outside tap - that's extra
    Floored attic - that's extra
    Built in wardrobes - that's extra
    More electrical points - that's extra

And many many more

Thanks for the replies everyone.

There is no difference in the houses. Imagine a row of approx 15 3 bed semi d’s in a row, with a southerly facing garden, built to spec. All sold as per plan and brochure. Any changes were “extras” and sorted out locally with the supplies, eg kitchen, storage, electric, etc. All these outside of the price of the house which was listed as a certain price in the brochure when we bought it.

The only explanation I can come up with is our neighbours (and others) may have put deposit down a few weeks earlier than we did, at a different price - but even then that confuses me as we had been monitoring the houses -phase 1 had a price, as did phase 2, etc. All seemed to be the same.

All houses on the street seem to fluctuate in price -neighbours others side, on further research, listed as 60k cheaper! Less dramatic differences on the road as i looked down through the list, but again I go back to....why? Up until this morning I thought we all had the same price for the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Thanks for the replies everyone.

There is no difference in the houses. Imagine a row of approx 15 3 bed semi d’s in a row, with a southerly facing garden, built to spec. All sold as per plan and brochure. Any changes were “extras” and sorted out locally with the supplies, eg kitchen, storage, electric, etc. All these outside of the price of the house which was listed as a certain price in the brochure when we bought it.

The only explanation I can come up with is our neighbours (and others) may have put deposit down a few weeks earlier than we did, at a different price - but even then that confuses me as we had been monitoring the houses -phase 1 had a price, as did phase 2, etc. All seemed to be the same.

All houses on the street seem to fluctuate in price -neighbours others side, on further research, listed as 60k cheaper! Less dramatic differences on the road as i looked down through the list, but again I go back to....why? Up until this morning I thought we all had the same price for the house!

Any possible VAT differences?

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Any possible VAT differences?

Maybe, I wouldn’t know how that would manifest itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

You could ask the estate agent if you’re curious to see if they could shed some light on it...

In my opinion and I’m just throwing this out there being a cynic, I have my suspicions that your neighbour might not be telling the whole truth. Everyone likes to think they have a bargain, so if you said your number first they may have undercut you for some reason. If there’s no reason for the price difference, then there probably wasn’t. If they were new builds it’s highly unlikely they managed to negotiate down.

Edit: I just remembered you looked at proper.ie. So my suspicions could be wrong. Also, I paid €1 less than my neighbour 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

The price of a new build on the register should be the price minus the VAT. Is the difference in price 13.5%?

Could be a mistake on the register

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I was a taken aback - I had thought all houses in that particular phase would have the same price? As in, generally there is no negotiation and the price is the price with the developers?

Am I missing something?

Perhaps your neighbour didn’t assume there was no negotiating on price, you don’t ask, you don’t get.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Perhaps your neighbour didn’t assume there was no negotiating on price, you don’t ask, you don’t get.

Possibly - never entered my head, nor was it in any discussion I’ve had with others who have bought new builds, that you could negotiate on price of new build.

bilbot79 wrote: »
    The price of a new build on the register should be the price minus the VAT. Is the difference in price 13.5%?

Could be a mistake on the register

Price difference is 15k, which is a less than the 13.5% I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Could they simply have not asked for turnkey finish. Asked not to have kitchen installed as they wanted to pick their own. Same for bathroom?
    If i was ever buying a new build id never take the kitchen that comes with it. Its very rarely what I'd want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Op, seems the purchase is from 2 years ago and you asked the same question back then.

Why is it such an issue for you?

Mostly the differences are due to different finishes. Builders prefer you to settle these things directly, but if making several changes, they will add it to the price.

Plot size and location will also make small differences in many developments.

And sometimes a buyer just needs a small incentive to buy and that can see a discount on the less attractive locations within the development.

For your own sake, forget it and move on. You've a decent house, affordable mortgage and most likely have seen the value increase in the past two years

Darc19 wrote: »
    Op, seems the purchase is from 2 years ago and you asked the same question back then.

Why is it such an issue for you?

Mostly the differences are due to different finishes. Builders prefer you to settle these things directly, but if making several changes, they will add it to the price.

Plot size and location will also make small differences in many developments.

And sometimes a buyer just needs a small incentive to buy and that can see a discount on the less attractive locations within the development.

For your own sake, forget it and move on. You've a decent house, affordable mortgage and most likely have seen the value increase in the past two years

Just curious, is all. You’re right, happy with the house.

Neighbours house was exactly the same. No difference whatsoever. We didn’t get any extras at all, nor did they remove anything from their finish - price advertised was the price we paid. And this is the price on proper.ie, which is higher than most of the other houses on that website for our road. So, as I said, curious if it was a timing thing, vat, etc.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Darc19 wrote: »
    All down to additions.

Better kitchen - that's extra
    Outside tap - that's extra
    Floored attic - that's extra
    Built in wardrobes - that's extra
    More electrical points - that's extra

And many many more

Generally these things are not added into the price of the house itself.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Possibly - never entered my head, nor was it in any discussion I’ve had with others who have bought new builds, that you could negotiate on price of new build.

It is far more likely that there is a difference in their house that makes it worth less than yours, than it is that they negotiated a discount in 2018 when things were at their absolute peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Didn't realise you could negotiate the price of a new build. Thought the price you got was what it was and if you didn't like it, the next person in line would pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Didn't realise you could negotiate the price of a new build. Thought the price you got was what it was and if you didn't like it, the next person in line would pay it.

You can of course, but if there is a demand then its unlikely you will get anywhere. As you said if you dont buy it someone will. But if sales are slow or they are struggling to shift the last couple you might be lucky.

Advertisement