Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a way of/how to expressing interest in an area to auctioneers?

Options
  • 20-03-2021 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I've an interest in a particular street in a particular town. There are say 20 houses on the street. In recent years about 4 of these have sold.
    I'd like to buy one of it came up again.

Is it simply a case of keeping an eye out?

Or..
    Is there any way to put word out to auctioneers that I'm interested if one ever comes up again. (or does that risk leaving me exposed as willing to pay above the odds?)
    If there is a way, what's the best thing for me to do here?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You can always put an alert on websites such as Daft and Myhome.ie.
    As regards asking estate agents it can be hit and miss.
    There is always the option of doing up a circular and posting it in the houses you would consider. You may be lucky and raise interest in an owner selling, perhaps without using an estate agent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

An estate agent might do this for you if you have a relationship with them... but in my experience that takes a few smooth transactions, with no financial problems before you earn that trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I’ve been in this position - spent nearly a decade viewing houses in a particular area and bidding on them unsuccessfully. Depends on the OPs position but suffice it to say if your purchase depends on selling your current residence the estate agent won’t take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Aidan Harney

The letter drop is a good option, easy to do...

It would be an investment, small money so wouldn't be anything to do with my home here...

The letter drop is a good option, easy to do...

It would be an investment, small money so wouldn't be anything to do with my home here...
    A letter drop from yourself. When I see these coming in from an estate agent I just regard it as more shyster rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭derb12

Edgware wrote: »
    A letter drop from yourself. When I see these coming in from an estate agent I just regard it as more shyster rubbish

A friend of mine is dropped a letter into about 60 houses on an estate that she really liked and sure enough someone bit. Be sure to mention in your letter the advantages of a direct sale
    - you can judge fair prices with publicly available selling prices for similar properties
    - they can save the agent’s fee
    - they can avoid people traipsing through the house or having to have photos online ... more privacy.
    If you’ve already narrowed it down to 20 houses you should definitely go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

thejuggler wrote: »
    I’ve been in this position - spent nearly a decade viewing houses in a particular area and bidding on them unsuccessfully. Depends on the OPs position but suffice it to say if your purchase depends on selling your current residence the estate agent won’t take you seriously.

This happened to me a few years ago. Expressed interest in a particular house but mine wasn't on the market yet. EA obviously decided I wasn't interested despite my telling him I was but that I had a few things to look into regarding the house. 2 weeks later, just after I worked out what I could offer, the asking price was dropped by 20k, and so did my offer. Got the house for less than we'd planned and ours sold in 2 weeks.
    This morning I viewed a house, without the current one for sale. Told EA we'd only be selling if we found the right house to buy and he had no problem with that, figured he could sell ours in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Aidan Harney

I have assumed I'd need an estate agent or auctioneer...
    From the advice to date I may need to plan for a letter drop myself, but also to learn whats involved in a sale /purchase transaction and who makes what moves to get it over the line. Ideally I'd include that detail in the letter, to lay out the steps involved (which I need to research!).
    Including that detail would demonstrate that I'm keen for progress.
    Great info so far in any case, thanks all.

I wouldn't let them know something like that, puts you in a very weak negotiating position if they think you are desperate for a house on a particular street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Melzea

Look at death notices or divorces to see what houses
    Will be available soon.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't let them know something like that, puts you in a very weak negotiating position if they think you are desperate for a house on a particular street.
    Not necessarily. If there is something about the property/location that is attractive to you then perhaps it is worth the extra premium. Will you be so content there that you wont waste time and money elsewhere and still not be happy?

Advertisement