Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planning permission question

Options
  • 20-03-2021 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for some advice please if possible. I'm looking to put an antenna in a field on the side of a hill. Is there conditions that if I meet them I do not require planning permission. If I keep it under a certain height etc. I think I could get away with it being 2 or 3 metres in height and it would work OK for me but does that require planning permission?
    Thank you for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Dunno about EI, but in G if it's PORTABLE, you can do what you like.

if your antenna base is a trailer chassis, that technically COULD be hooked on a car and towed away, you're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

if your antenna base is a trailer chassis, that technically COULD be hooked on a car and towed away, you're good.

Thank you, that's hopefully an option if I can't fix a pole in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

There are exemptions allowed for antenna etc but they only apply within the curtilage of a house.
    Getting permission may not be a big deal if the structure is modestly sized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The exemption is *only* for an antenna on the roof of the house, less than 6m above the roof of the house.

There are *no* exemptions for non-dish-type antennas within the curtilage.

There is supposed to be no planning permission required for portable antennas, but apparently it's not that clear cut. I had to go and get an Opinion on the planning laws for this for my situation, and there is enough ambiguity for the Planners to screw you over if they really want to.

Source: https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/Downloads/Exempted%20Development%20-%20General.pdf
    Class 4 section.

Wire antennas, on the roof, under 6m above the roof == no permission required.
    Dish antenna, one of, less than a meter in diameter, not forward of the front wall of the house or on the front slope of the house == no permission required.
    Anything else, requires permission. Technically, if there's no earthworks needed or permanent attachment to the ground, it should be classed as permanent and should not neet permission. But, as it the same with all things Irish, all one needs is an idiot neighbour who is friendly with the planners to screw you over. Ask me how I know :/

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Popoutman wrote:
    Wire antennas, on the roof, under 6m above the roof == no permission required. Dish antenna, one of, less than a meter in diameter, not forward of the front wall of the house or on the front slope of the house == no permission required. Anything else, requires permission. Technically, if there's no earthworks needed or permanent attachment to the ground, it should be classed as permanent and should not neet permission. But, as it the same with all things Irish, all one needs is an idiot neighbour who is friendly with the planners to screw you over. Ask me how I know :/

If I mount everything on a trailer that can be towed away I should be good? It's about 100m away from the nearest house and I doubt they would complain to be honest. I might give it a go and see what happens. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement