Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know the name of this tree/bush?

Options
  • 20-03-2021 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking to plant something to add some privacy for back garden but I don't want it growing too high. Not looking for a hedge or fence, just want something to block maybe 3M wide by 3M max height also.

I've got an image in my head of those thick sort of thick palm style bushes / small trees that have those torch style brushes growing in them. Can't for the life of me describe it better. Anyone know what I'm talking about and what they may be called? They sort of look like Cortaderia selloana Pampas Grass White. That's the nearest I could find but that's too fragile. What I'm thinking of is a lot sturdier, it's a miniature tree, I'm sure

Any other names of miniature tress or cool plants that you'd recommend for me to look up?

thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Do you mean Cordylines?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

It does sound like you're talking about a Cordyline, they take a good while to grow to trees, usually sold as a small plant and once they are mature you'll be forever picking up the long spiky leaves as they fall off, right messy things!

If the budget ran to it a couple of pleached trees might suit, they are expensive but kind of instant coverage. I'd love some but too expensive for the amount I need to cover.

I ended up making what I call my fake tree, I attached a square of trellis to a long post, bolted to wall pillar and am growing a climber up it which will fill in the trellis pretty quick and give a dense covering blocking out the window looking in on me! I need to make a second one to fill another gap, another lockdown job as soon as the weather improves a little.

Advertisement