Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France vs Wales match thread, Sat 20th March 8pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Dupont tackles from the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That's no try, France robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bluwave

Penaud is on the ground.
    If it’s not a try it should be a penalty against him for the tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's nuts. It was held up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tbh I think there's is pretty definitive evidence to say it's been held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

Wales are getting all the luck once again. Seem to be getting all the calls so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Should that not be penalty France for Lloyd Williams playing the ball on the ground?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nothing about the Welsh player pulling back the French player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Is the ref watching the same reply as us? That was held up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

How can the onfield decision be try when none of the official say the ball until it was clearly held up at the end?

Luke Pearce has absolutely gifted them that one.

The luck this tournament is never ending it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Wales are playing pretty well. It has to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

That was defo held up right?

Have to admit Wales are performing admirably with 17 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Another questionable decision for Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Wales look like they can score in every attack.. They so deserve this Grand Slam in fairness

• Advertisement

“No definitive evidence that it was held up”

Other than the flicking video of it being held up......

Wtf, held up surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Wales getting more dodgy decisions. Sure they may as well finish the tournament as they have done throughout it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Terrible decision by the ref there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Pearce didn't want to admit he might have got the onfield call wrong. Think that should have been called as held up.

• Advertisement

To be fair that's a good decision. Once the on field decision was try you can't say definitely it's been held up all the time.

Tbf I think that try was deserved because of the grubber from tupiric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

That is an absolutely shocking decision by Barnes as TMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Garbage officiating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

If that decision was given against Ireland I’d be fuming. Held up all the way.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Wales look like they can score in every attack.. They so deserve this Grand Slam in fairness

I think they look impressive so far today but have not been impressed with them throughout the whole tournament. They are a very weird team and wouldn't worry me if I was in any team playing against them tbh. Weird team but ultimately doing the job

To be fair that's a good decision. Once the on field decision was try you can't say definitely it's been held up all the time.

Especially if you ignore the video of it being held up all the time

Does the ref have the ref have to call it one way or another? Can they say they don't know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Imagine wales were on the receiving end of of all decisions / luck they’ve been given this tournament. I think Welsh Rugby Twitter would melt down entirely.

Bluwave wrote: »
    Tbf I think that try was deserved because of the grubbed from tupiric.

That was class

But so was the actual effort to hold the ball up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ref’s wording was key. If he said “try, yes or no?” TMO probably would have said held up.

Bluwave wrote: »
    Especially if you ignore the video of it being held up all the time

Can you 100% say the back of the ball doesn't touch the ground? You can't see the whole ball.

Does the ref have the ref have to call it one way or another? Can they say they don't know?

Most definitely

razorblunt wrote: »
    Imagine wales were on the receiving end of of all decisions / luck they’ve been given this tournament. I think Welsh Rugby Twitter would melt down entirely.

Steve Jones would have finally entered orbit using his own rage as fuel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

If they don’t know they don’t change the on field decision, which is what happened.

I just think that you can see it being help up throughout the move

I for one think Wales will do very well when they have to play South Africa in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Technically the TMO decision is right. But the on-field call is wrong. You need to be able to see the ball being grounded to call it a try and it's not possible for that to have been the case. They just assumed it was grounded and gave the try. I guess you could argue just the benefit go to the attacking team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

touts wrote: »
    That is an absolutely shocking decision by Barnes as TMO.

Thats not on Barnes. The leg at the end prevents him seeing the whole thing and so he can't overrule the onfield decision. The initial decision was the problem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Zammit played the ball on the ground before the try.
    He was not on his feet and the ball came to him and he picked it up and passed it.
    Seemed like a foul play to me, the ref watched it on the replay and said nothing.
    Is that not a penalty to France for playing the ball while not standing up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Augme wrote: »
    Technically the TMO decision is right. But the on-field call is wrong. You need to be able to see the ball being grounded to call it a try and it's not possible for that to have been the case. They just assumed it was grounded and gave the try. I guess you could argue just the benefit go to the attacking team.
    you arent looking through the refs eyes he was right there and called it a try in real time so as you couldn't see the back of the ball and assume ref did see it. then unless video contradicts what he initially called it's a try.

It's a good decision based on a terrible 9n field decision, very hard to prove a negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

TMO wasn't initially called to check grounding, he was called to look for a knock on.

you arent looking through the refs eyes he was right there and called it a try in real time so as you couldn't see the back of the ball and assume ref did see it. then unless video contradicts what he initially called it's a try.

Unless the ref was lying on the ground he can't have seen any grinding in this scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

molloyjh wrote: »
    Thats not on Barnes. The leg at the end prevents him seeing the whole thing and so he can't overrule the onfield decision. The initial decision was the problem there.

It was clearly held up at all times. Barnes was asked if it was clearly held up at all times and he said No. He got it utterly wrong.

Surely if you're asking about 2 potential knock-ons and grounding the on-field decision can't be try?
    The referee is allowed to ask Try/no try in Union aren't they? Baffling decision.

• Advertisement

Zammit played the ball on the ground before the try.
    He was not on his feet and the ball came to him and he picked it up and passed it.
    Seemed like a foul play to me, the ref watched it on the replay and said nothing.
    Is that not a penalty to France for playing the ball while not standing up?

There also seems to be s trip on the French player by the prone Welsh player as he attempts to fly hack it dead.

A player on the ground without the ball is out of the game and must:
    Allow opponents who are not on the ground to play or gain possession of the ball.
    Not play the ball.
    Not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

molloyjh wrote: »

I think Barnes should probably ask Pearce if he definitely saw it grounded to give him the option to change his initial call.

On an unrelated matter, Wales are the poxiest team ever for crazy favourable refereeing decisions.

touts wrote: »
    It was clearly held up at all times. Barnes was asked if it was clearly held up at all times and he said No. He got it utterly wrong.

If you asked me did it definitely not graze a blade of grass then I couldn't say no.

This lad is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Brilliant finish...

• Advertisement
Advertisement