Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France vs Wales match thread, Sat 20th March 8pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

That missed conversion could be crucial, if I'm not mistaken. France have to beat Scotland by more than 20 points (with a bonus point) to win the championship. Had that gone over, a win by more than 16 would have sufficed.

If France win with a bonus point i don't think points difference comes into it, does the head to head result tonight decide it in France's favour then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The result cannot colour over the mind-numbing stupidity of Ollivon taking a scrum in front of the posts. 3 minutes were wasted. It was insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Clegg wrote: »
    Thought Pearce and Barnes were mostly excellent with their officiating. Not a problem with the sending off as it was a neck roll and eye gouge. Maybe could have binned another Welsh player near the end but apart from that they got the big calls correct.

Only issues I’d really have was the on field decision for Wales’ try which looked held up, and the decision not to check the try France scored that was never checked. Thought the rest was dealt with extremely well. Communication was absolutely excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wales were awarded a try that wasn’t (wasn’t grounded) so......

Allez les bleus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

What an amazing ending!

Now next question can France get a BP and beat Scotland by 21 points next week?

Still seems a hard task no?

Scotland are flaky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Thought Pearce and Barnes were mostly excellent with their officiating. Not a problem with the sending off as it was a neck roll and eye gouge. Maybe could have binned another Welsh player near the end but apart from that they got the big calls correct.

The last Welsh try was clearly held up. No way Pearce should have called it a try on-field - there was far too much doubt as the replays confirmed.

France got no warning for their first yellow - the Welsh got away with several yellows.

Gave a Wales try that doesn't appear to have been grounded and wouldn't look at a French try that might have been? Maybe, maybe could have binned another Wales player? These are decisions that change the results of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

This is Gas. On Virgin they are debating the reffing decisions and questioning the quality of the TMO calls. Over on the BBC it was the greatest example of reffing and TMO working together in the history of sport..

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

clsmooth wrote: »
    On one hand you have to feel for Wales

Incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Man, that must be gutting for the Welsh fans. I mean, we've had disappointments, that France score against Scotland in 2007, NZ 2013, but I think losing the game like that with a slam on the line would be orders of magnitude worse. Genuine sympathy there.

Fair play to France though, to stick in it like that after the red card and the frustration in having a score knocked off when potentially Wales could have seen yellow, great work from them.

Once they settle down it will probably balance out vs the ridiculous good luck they’ve had since week 1. Ignoring the red cards as that’s on other teams, they had a sliced kick, a ref allowing a quick kick, a knock on try, try held up given, try scored against them missed. Never seen anything like it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Wearing of The Green

Incorrect.

When it comes to an individual's feelings there's no correct or incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Delighted with that result. Wales deserved it for being so cynical in the last 20 minutes. Hopefully France go on and finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Shame for the Welsh to get so close and lose it with the last play. Shades of Jack McGrath getting pinged by Nigel Owens in 2013. Also a shame they didn’t back our bid for the 2023 World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

touts wrote: »
    This is Gas. On Virgin they are debating the reffing decisions and questioning the quality of the TMO calls. Over on the BBC it was the greatest example of reffing and TMO working together in the history of sport..

interesting what sam warburton was saying about reffing the breakdowns watching a minimum of 6 players 200 times a game.

touts wrote: »

Warburton is calling it very fair, Inverdale is trying to set up a “we wuz robbed” story but they’re all shooting it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Only issues I’d really have was the on field decision for Wales’ try which looked held up, and the decision not to check the try France scored that was never checked. Thought the rest was dealt with extremely well. Communication was absolutely excellent.

Yeah I agree. It's a very hard game to officiate and they won't catch everything. But they were clear in expressing their reasoning for their decisions and explaining that to the players.

Can't ask for much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

Funnily enough now that I've calmed down a bit I have to agree! They got the decisions mostly right. The Adams try looked to be held up. On field decisions was incorrect and it would have taken big stones by Barnsey to overrule it (correctly). Willemse deserved the red. And Wales should have been shown 1 more YC near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

bilston wrote: »
    Happy Wales didn't win a GS...BUT...I do feel bad for Alun Wyn Jones.

Great ending. A crazy last 15 minutes or so

Nahhh fück him... the fact he gives so much shît to referees about every second decision that goes against his team which is clearly an attempt at intimidation and to influence their performance ... nahhh

It’s kinda funny watching O’Gara squeezed into the corner of his box room in his best suit and a pound of foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

tanko wrote: »
    If France win with a bonus point i don't think points difference comes into it, does the head to head result tonight decide it in France's favour then??
    Head to head doesn't come into it as far as I know. It's points difference first, then tries scored. I think if France score 5 tries on Friday and beat Scotland by exactly 20 points, the championship is shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

eigrod wrote: »
    The last Welsh try was clearly held up. No way Pearce should have called it a try on-field - there was far too much doubt as the replays confirmed.

France got no warning for their first yellow - the Welsh got away with several yellows.

there was hand underneath the ball but it looked like at least some part of the ball was touching grass

Gave a Wales try that doesn't appear to have been grounded and wouldn't look at a French try that might have been? Maybe, maybe could have binned another Wales player? These are decisions that change the results of games.

I thought they did very well bar the Welsh try which looked held up, I don’t think Barnes really wanted to award that one but he couldn’t find the perfect angle to conclusively show it wasn’t grounded.

The french try that could have been looked a double movement and as for the yellows, yeah there could have been another but it if some of the posters here had their way there would have been about 5 Welsh players left on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

John Inverdale " Grand Larceny". What nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

typhoony wrote: »
    there was hand underneath the ball but it looked like at least some part of the ball was touching grass

It did but the question from Pearce was wrong. He felt he saw it in real time but you could sense his discomfort on replay and Barnes clearly had to clarify the question asked i.e. is there a reason the try cannot be awarded because Pearce has seen a grounding.

If Pearce had asked "Try, yes or no?", then I've little doubt Barnes would have said no. It wasn't possible to definitively say if the ball touched grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

With what O'gara is saying the French need to have a look at clashes to the head and eye contact in there league

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cheesey Cheese Hood Cheese

Delighted with that. Wales are a cynical dirty team and France deserved it anyway.

A cynical dirty team? I was happy to see France win, but you really are a poor, poor poster no matter which forum you post in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I thought they did very well bar the Welsh try which looked held up, I don’t think Barnes really wanted to award that one but he couldn’t find the perfect angle to conclusively show it wasn’t grounded.

The french try that could have been looked a double movement and as for the yellows, yeah there could have been another but it if some of the posters here had their way there would have been about 5 Welsh players left on the field.

I thought reffing was grand generally - even very good at times - but that was ludicrous.

Held up all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

A cynical dirty team? You rally are a poor, poor poster no matter which forum you post in.

Dirty no, cynical yes

Just sitting here, basking in the glory that is realising that Liam Williams had a massive hand in throwing away a potential Grand Slam.

“Are we not playing rugby?” Or whatever he said after his red for the high tackle earlier this season. Not when you’re sitting on the side of the pitch in Paris for the last 10 mins of the biggest game of the season.
    Play shît games, win shít prizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cheesey Cheese Hood Cheese

Strumms wrote: »
    Nahhh fück him... the fact he gives so much shît to referees about every second decision that goes against his team which is clearly an attempt at intimidation

Christ some of you people wouldn't know a rugby ball if it bounced off your head.

Conversing to the referee and trying to state your case is "intimidation now? lol

It's called being a captain?

• Advertisement

The result cannot colour over the mind-numbing stupidity of Ollivon taking a scrum in front of the posts. 3 minutes were wasted. It was insane.
    Decision making even at the top level of Rugby is incredibly poor a lot of the time. Kinda classic example is being 8 points behind with maybe 6 minutes left. Teams will use up loads of time with scrums trying to get the try and leave themselves needing a kick. Far better off taking 3 at the first opportunity then having basically infinite time to score a try.
    eigrod wrote: »
    It makes no sense to me how a referee can say Try but also ask about 2 knock-ons and the grounding. If he doesn't think he's seen anything to say No Try then it has to be Try/No Try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Buer wrote: »
    It did but the question from Pearce was wrong. He felt he saw it in real time but you could sense his discomfort on replay and Barnes clearly had to clarify the question asked i.e. is there a reason the try cannot be awarded because Pearce has seen a grounding.

If Pearce had asked "Try, yes or no?", then I've little doubt Barnes would have said no. It wasn't possible to definitively say if the ball touched grass.

More than likely it was a try though.

He should have taken a look when the French players asked about the one near the end. He just dismissed them.
    Apart from that he was very good and dealt with a huge amount of major decisions correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Some absolute headcase just asked Alun Wyn Jones

"When you're playing for all those people at home, how bad do you feel now?"

Fucking hell like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Looking back at the French yellow it really should have been a penalty try as well. Wales were 2 metres out and going like a steam train to the line before the French player just jumped in and tackled him.

I do think I'd like to see Wales win the Championship, but not a Grand Slam. They have had their luck, but that's isn't their fault either. They have been the most consistent team in the Championship and have played to a good standard throughout. I think AWJ deserves it too. Can't fault France's flair but their naivety at times is fairly ridiculous.

Nahhh fück him... the fact he gives so much shît to referees about every second decision that goes against his team which is clearly an attempt at intimidation and to influence their performance ... nahhh

It’s kinda funny watching O’Gara squeezed into the corner of his box room in his best suit and a pound of foundation.

That's what a good captain does on the field. McCaw, Johnson etc.

Alun Wyn has a great rep off it.

I wanted the Welsh to win as it put us in with a great chance of coming second. Would have been a boost to our camp. I've no interest in a young France becoming a superpower and thrashing us in Paris every second year. I do love their style and grew up watching, Blanco, Sella et al. But defeats like 1986 were soul destroying for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Teferi wrote: »
    Some absolute headcase just asked Alun Wyn Jones

"When you're playing for all those people at home, how bad do you feel now?"

Fucking hell like.

It was a stupid question alright, and he repeated it when Jones didn't hear first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bluwave

It’s still a Mystery to me how that Welsh team were contenders for a grand slam tonight and could still win a championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I love soccer but no game on earth comes close to the intensity of rugby matches like that one.

Bluwave wrote: »
    It’s still a Mystery to me how that Welsh team were contenders for a grand slam tonight and could still win a championship.

There's no great mystery. They rode their luck. They also have a habit of hanging in there in games, lots of experienced heads.

Then talent, Zammit Jones, Liam Williams, Tupric, Falteau and such an experienced captain.

People forget we beat Wales with an intercept in 2018, and a drop goal that was miraculous against France.

Also England have been well below par. Scotland are what they've been since 1999, we started low on confidence.

Christ some of you people wouldn't know a rugby ball if it bounced off your head.

Conversing to the referee and trying to state your case is "intimidation now? lol

It's called being a captain?

No it’s called trying to influence and sway his decision making. It’s clear what he is attempting to do..

And it’s conversing ‘with a referee’. So I’d worry about your own head before considering anybody else’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Wales are either heros or zeros. If POM didn't have his moment of madness we would have beaten them quite easy actually and most likely Scotland would have beaten them too and they would be heading to Italy in crisis but instead they got a bit of luck and took full advantage.

Still an average team though where they have no certs to make a lions 15

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I feel sorry for the Welsh, to see it slip away so late in the game. Wait.... nah!

Allez les bleus!

That's what a good captain does on the field. McCaw, Johnson etc.

Alun Wyn has a great rep off it.

I wanted the Welsh to win as it put us in with a great chance of coming second. Would have been a boost to our camp. I've no interest in a young France becoming a superpower and thrashing us in Paris every second year. I do love their style and grew up watching, Blanco, Sella et al. But defeats like 1986 were soul destroying for us.

I see where you are coming from but it’s gets to a point where regardless of who we are up for it’s just a ball ache, he is at the same craic against every team...

France will become a superpower regardless of what we think.. onus is on us to be as good as we can be..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

delighted france won makes friday night extra spicy

but Wales should have took the last kick off long and pinned france in their own 22

fryup wrote: »
    delighted france won makes friday night extra spicy

but Wales should have took the last kick off long and pinned france in their own 22

That’s what they did? France ran it back from pretty much their own 5m line. Then knocked it on at halfway.

Wales then sealed off, when every French player was shouting for it and stated hanging out of rucks.

I see where you are coming from but it’s gets to a point where regardless of who we are up for it’s just a ball ache, he is at the same craic against every team...

France will become a superpower regardless of what we think.. onus is on us to be as good as we can be..

It's well analysed behind the scenes. If it was no benefit to the team he'd soon stop. He's a controlled, intelligent bloke. Like McCaw.

Our captain would be more emotional I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭castor 1

kilns wrote: »
    Wales are either heros or zeros. If POM didn't have his moment of madness we would have beaten them quite easy actually and most likely Scotland would have beaten them too and they would be heading to Italy in crisis but instead they got a bit of luck and took full advantage.

Still an average team though where they have no certs to make a lions 15

With Gatland in charge of the Lions, he will be bringing most of the Welsh team !

No it’s called trying to influence and sway his decision making. It’s clear what he is attempting to do..

And it’s conversing ‘with a referee’. So I’d worry about your own head before considering anybody else’s.

Is that not what a captain meant to do

castor 1 wrote: »
    With Gatland in charge of the Lions, he will be bringing most of the Welsh team !

What teams should he pick the most from

• Advertisement

Is that not what a captain meant to do

It’s not what they should be allowed to do... second or third time if I’m a referee... “ it’s my belief you are coming over to me again with the intention of attempting to influence and impact the manner of which I’m refereeing this game. if I need to talk to YOU, I’ll call you, otherwise, stay out of it.”

Captain can ask for clarification on decisions, can’t try to influence their performance.

Advertisement