Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hogget With mastitis

• 20-03-2021 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Relatively new to sheep , had a Suffock hogget Carrying a single go into a drain and got her out moved them etc, she was poorly them for a bit so dosed her up with life aid , chanatol etc and after having her in shed for few days I let her out on good grass with lambed ewes.Seemed to be eating away etc

Got her Lastnight and she had ears down and could barely stand.. she had mastitis in one side.. would this acute mastitis sicken her and drop condition so bad ??

She didn’t open right and put our water bag today and I had a job to take fine dead lamb

long acting antibiotic last evening, life aid oral dose, fluke dose , 50 ml mineral .. and milked out that teat and massaged cheno into udder? Anything else I can do for her ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

A few Hail Marys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Keep fluids into her at all cost and chanatol

Keep the teat drawn out. See will she eat a bit of ivy

Antibiotics long term

(not lecturing you but best not to fluke dose a sick animal,)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

orm0nd wrote: »
    Keep fluids into her at all cost and chanatol

Keep the teat drawn out. See will she eat a bit of ivy

Antibiotics long term

(not lecturing you but best not to fluke dose a sick animal,)

Agreed, ironically some fluke doses are hard on the liver, sometimes a ewe bad with fluke gets a fluke dose and it kills her

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I also gave her calcium shot under skin . I massaging it and stripping out the teat and she up and ate some fresh grass I pulled for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If it's calcium you will notice be a huge improvement very rapidly

• Advertisement
Advertisement