Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Licence exemption for vintage bus

Options
  • 21-03-2021 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭

I see on uk licencing site that there are alot of exemptions for driving non commercially, vintage trucks and buses.
    It would appear that in uk, someone with a car licence could drive a bus or truck to vintage shows or the like.
    Is there anything similar here - I couldnt find any info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

mickdw wrote: »
    I see on uk licencing site that there are alot of exemptions for driving non commercially, vintage trucks and buses.
    It would appear that in uk, someone with a car licence could drive a bus or truck to vintage shows or the like.
    Is there anything similar here - I couldnt find any info?

No, there is no provision for this here now, AFAIK there never was.

The only variance here (and rest of EU) is not needing the CPC if not driving commercially.

While it may be handy to allow vintage on car licence it also is a loophole allowing people who should be nowhere near large vehicles drive them with no ability or training.

Considering some of the fruitloops that appear on the bus/truck enthusiast and preservation scene here I don't think making it easier to get behind the wheel is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I thought you could drive a bus on a provisional if used as a camper/RV. That the biggest problem is finding an insurer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I thought you could drive a bus on a provisional if used as a camper/RV. That the biggest problem is finding an insurer?

Im sure you can with qualified driver on board.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    No, there is no provision for this here now, AFAIK there never was.

The only variance here (and rest of EU) is not needing the CPC if not driving commercially.

While it may be handy to allow vintage on car licence it also is a loophole allowing people who should be nowhere near large vehicles drive them with no ability or training.

Considering some of the fruitloops that appear on the bus/truck enthusiast and preservation scene here I don't think making it easier to get behind the wheel is warranted.

No requirement for cpc is a big help anyway if driving privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You won't need a D or D1 license if its modified to have 8 or less passenger seats but you'll need a C1 or C licence if the MAM is >3500kgs, same applies to campers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

mickdw wrote: »
    No requirement for cpc is a big help anyway if driving privately.

The cpc has to be one of the most pointless things ever introduced I don't remember buses and trucks having serious accidents left, right and centre prior to 2008. How many lives has it actually saved? Appears to me that's it only serves the purpose of creating public sector jobs in the like sof the RSA and equivalent bodies in other EU states and acting as a money making racket for private companies to provide "training".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CPC and Safepass are both at best very basic English comprehension tests and a tiny safeguard against someone going insane and not being detected

Plenty of awful hotels would probably just close their conferencing blocks without them though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

L1011 wrote: »
    Plenty of awful hotels would probably just close their conferencing blocks without them though!

True lol

GT89 wrote: »
    True lol

We have all been there

Advertisement