Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit

Options
  • 21-03-2021 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

So in the last few days a young rabbit has set up residence in my back garden.
    I assume he got in from back fields but unfortunately he can't seem to find his way back out.

Now I have no problem with the rabbit but was planning on putting out my seedlings this week into my raised beds, I assume chicken wire is the best option to keep them safe from Hoppy!!!

Also if anyone could advise a way to encourage him to find a new home??? I have a sheepdog who so far has shown no interest but am worried he may soon and don't really want my 5 and 6 six year olds seeing a massacre!!! (They are convinced he is the Easter Bunnys helper looking for hiding places for their eggs!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have chicken wire on new (small) trees to keep the rabbits off, so I suppose that might be the best solution. We have an enormous rabbit lives in the garden - similarly surrounded by fields - but there are mostly defunct rabbit holes everywhere so I suppose colonies come and go. He has now got himself a missus so I don't doubt the numbers will increase. Apart from digging the occasional test hole here and there they don't seem to be doing much damage - the crows from a neighbouring garden a couple of fields away are a bigger nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

To be honest I'm not that concerned 're any potential damage he can do moreso worried about what my dog could do so would prefer for that reason to try and encourage bunny to move out (he is very small and skittish so I'm assuming very young)

Having said that if I was confident my sheepdog would continue to be disinterested I'm happy for bunny to stay put!

Advertisement