Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tree ferns

Options
  • 21-03-2021 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I love the look of these trees and thinking of getting one. Only problem is the need to wrap hessian around the top half of the trunk for winter, which I think looks terrible. Anyone have these and get away with not doing this in winter or would they definitely die without this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tree ferns are tender in this region. If you live in a sheltered, mild area you might get away with it for a few years but you only need one year with unusual temperatures (and unusual temperatures are becoming not all that unusual) to lose it. Given how expensive they are it is a bit of a risk.

There are a number of large impressive ferns that grow from ground level, Royal Fern Osmunda regalis, and Polystichum setiferum will both make statement pieces and the Polystichum is evergreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cooled

looksee wrote: »
    Tree ferns are tender in this region. If you live in a sheltered, mild area you might get away with it for a few years but you only need one year with unusual temperatures (and unusual temperatures are becoming not all that unusual) to lose it. Given how expensive they are it is a bit of a risk.

There are a number of large impressive ferns that grow from ground level, Royal Fern Osmunda regalis, and Polystichum setiferum will both make statement pieces and the Polystichum is evergreen.

Thanks for the info. Those other ferns look good too but I want something with a bit more height. All the google images of tree ferns show people wrapping them with white coloured hessian or fleece but think if I did it with a brown colour instead it would blend in a lot more with the trunk. Its just strange that everyone seems to use white coloured wraps....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Neighbours of mine wrapped fairy lights over the wrap. Looks beautiful.

We move ours into the greenhouse over winter. Kept at 5c

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah, we have one in a large pot and I wheel it in and out of greenhouse for winter.

Prior to having a greenhouse it was just left in a sheltered spot and it survived through snow etc, however the trunk has shrunk compared to the original diameter (though I think thats more down to drying out than any cold issues)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

I planted mine in the ground, they are about 12 inches high. They don't seem to produce the big luscious fronds that it had when I bought them. I think they are just surviving. I don't cover them in the winter but I might from now on. Any experts on here to guide me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I have one for that last 5 year and I've never wrapped it. (Its not in a very open area I have to say) but I know a few people with them and other than a 2010 winter they never wrap them

Would anyone have a pic of what theirs looks like in winter or even right now? Do the fronds turn brown and fall off each winter?

emo72 wrote: »
    I planted mine in the ground, they are about 12 inches high. They don't seem to produce the big luscious fronds that it had when I bought them. I think they are just surviving. I don't cover them in the winter but I might from now on. Any experts on here to guide me?

From what I have read the smaller the trunk is the more need there is to wrap them in winter.

Cooled wrote: »
    Would anyone have a pic of what theirs looks like in winter or even right now? Do the fronds turn brown and fall off each winter?

They will only do that if the crown dries out (and when they get old, but a year isnt old)

Mine still has bright green fronds since last year.

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »

They are probably too dry, are they in direct sunlight/windy area?

They really want to be damp to be honest, only the crown is alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭secman

We have one thats about 15 yrs old now, about 4 .5 foot tall , it survived -12° in 2010, they are much hardier than you think, they get a fair bit of cold & snow in their native New Zealand. We leave the old fonds on over the winter, tied up and stuff the crown with straw or also have used some fonds cut into smaller pieces stuffed in protect the new fonds forming. We usually get about a dozen fonds varying from 1 to 2 metres long.
    We also have 2 smaller ones and theses are hardy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭rje66

This is my one. New fronds are starting to get active down in the crown.

Advertisement