Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windbreak without planting

Options
  • 21-03-2021 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

We have a large patio, the width of the house including the side entries, to the rear of our house & then stairs to our upper level.

We’re happy with the patio itself & the planting etc that we’ve done on the upper level but our issue is that the wind that comes though our side entry seems to whirl around the patio & out the other side of the house. It can be cold or annoying or both.

We already have driveway gates so don’t need gates either side of the house from that point of view. But these may be our best option?

We’ve looked at windbreak awnings but they seem quite expensive we’re not sure of their effectiveness or durability.

Any ideas or suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭rje66

A side gate would reduce a lot of wind. Is it an estate type house??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Baybay

The house is the last on a street of houses in town.

On one side is our neighbour with whom we share a head height wooden fence & I suppose this would be on par with estate houses side entry width.

On the other is a a high wall with raised beds. This space would be twice as wide as the the other side of the house.

The garden is enclosed, south facing & in other ways, ideal. But if the wind is in the right direction, it just isn’t as sheltered as I feel it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭rje66

Baybay wrote: »
    The house is the last on a street of houses in town.

On one side is our neighbour with whom we share a head height wooden fence & I suppose this would be on par with estate houses side entry width.

On the other is a a high wall with raised beds. This space would be twice as wide as the the other side of the house.

The garden is enclosed, south facing & in other ways, ideal. But if the wind is in the right direction, it just isn’t as sheltered as I feel it might be.

On the wider side, could you put in 2 separate timber screens with the openings for access offset. Does that make sense?? A pic of area is always helpful in visualisation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Baybay

Looks like gates are the best option.

The smaller one that we’ll need is a standard estate type so that’s ok.
    The other side will be bifold.
    Both will be bolted open, against the house on one side & against the garden wall on the other & will be closed, when needed when we’re using the patio.

Or at least that’s the current favourite option!

Advertisement