Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cow holding cleaning

• 21-03-2021 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Have a cow holding cleaning for two days I give her alflamox today ( they were getting dry cow mineral licks) is it difficult to remove without tearing are you better to leave 10 days before removing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If she's not sick leave her alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Out of interest how do you know she is holding?

We have cows that regularly eat it with no trace. Watching for illness is the only way then.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

893bet wrote: »
    Out of interest how do you know she is holding?

We have cows that regularly eat it with no trace. Watching for illness is the only way then.

There’s a fair bit hanging from her when do most people remove ? Never had much bother with it before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

There’s a fair bit hanging from her when do most people remove ? Never had much bother with it before

Very appropriate handle!

4 ish days, after that you won't be able to get your hand in, wash out 10 days after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wouldn't go physically removing it. Cut what is hanging just to keep it away from the udder to keep the teats clean but if it's still there after three days a course of antibiotics is prob required. She would be one to note for a washout in a months time as well

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Wouldn't go physically removing it. Cut what is hanging just to keep it away from the udder to keep the teats clean but if it's still there after three days a course of antibiotics is prob required. She would be one to note for a washout in a months time as well

Would you just leave it even if she takes a week or two to clean ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

If it's still there after a week i'd get a vet to check her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

My vet has a general rule of leaving them a week before taking the clearing. I always get him to do it and he gives a wash out after removing the clearing. They can sometimes be tough enough removed and I'm happier leaving him do the job. Here anyway, about half of cows with twins won't clear, also ones with a difficult calving can be vulnerable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My vet has a general rule of leaving them a week before taking the clearing. I always get him to do it and he gives a wash out after removing the clearing. They can sometimes be tough enough removed and I'm happier leaving him do the job. Here anyway, about half of cows with twins won't clear, also ones with a difficult calving can be vulnerable

The very odd time it happens here, after about 7-10 days removes it. Some smell when it comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I wouldn't be cutting that much off. Vet said the weight of what's hanging will help what's inside come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I wouldn't be cutting that much off. Vet said the weight of what's hanging will help what's inside come out.

Yes and to never tie a weight onto it or try and pull them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

JeffKenna wrote: »

Yeah that's why I said enough to keep the teats clean. Don't want her to get mastitis either when the immune system could be weaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

Has anyone ever heard that feeding ivy to a cow that hasn't cleaned helps? I've heard it from several older generation farmers around here, but never tried it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭148multi

Have a cow holding cleaning for two days I give her alflamox today ( they were getting dry cow mineral licks) is it difficult to remove without tearing are you better to leave 10 days before removing?

The old treatment was half a dozen eggs a day, the idea is to steam up the cow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

hopeso wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard that feeding ivy to a cow that hasn't cleaned helps? I've heard it from several older generation farmers around here, but never tried it....

The ivy is meant to contain substances similar to oxytocin, the natural uterus contracting hormone.
    I think you need a lot of it, a bucket full. Ivy can be toxic, in theory at least.

The uterine oxytocin receptors are gone by about six hours post calving so I'm not sure how it should work but I'm told it can. Of course, the cleaning could be coming away naturally too.

Practice here is attempting removal at five days. If it won't come easily the cow is washed out (injectible antibiotics if needed) and left for two more days. Often its easier removed at 7-10 days when the vet isn't called earlier. That risks a sick cow but injectible antibiotics can control that.

The two approaches are remove manually at ~ 5 days or leave to rot out with antibiotics if needed.

Cows that calve prematurely or have twins might be better left to seven days before trying manual removal as I often have to go back to them.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    The ivy is meant to contain substances similar to oxytocin, the natural uterus contracting hormone.
    I think you need a lot of it, a bucket full. Ivy can be toxic, in theory at least.

The uterine oxytocin receptors are gone by about six hours post calving so I'm not sure how it should work but I'm told it can. Of course, the cleaning could be coming away naturally too.

Practice here is attempting removal at five days. If it won't come easily the cow is washed out (injectible antibiotics if needed) and left for two more days. Often its easier removed at 7-10 days when the vet isn't called earlier. That risks a sick cow but injectible antibiotics can control that.

The two approaches are remove manually at ~ 5 days or leave to rot out with antibiotics if needed.

Cows that calve prematurely or have twins might be better left to seven days before trying manual removal as I often have to go back to them.

Thanks greyside do you think would a bucketful of ivy cause the cow any problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

Yeah that's why I said enough to keep the teats clean. Don't want her to get mastitis either when the immune system could be weaker

Tie a knot on itself a few times, this will keep its natural weight and keep the teats clean

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Thanks greyside do you think would a bucketful of ivy cause the cow any problems?

Probably not. But I was trying to avoid saying that!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Give her a shot of oxytocin 5ml

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Give her a shot of oxytocin 5ml

Does it still work a few days later?

• Advertisement

Does it still work a few days later?

No. Needs injection of oestrogen to bring back oxytocin receptors.... and that's not done.

Adam Grant

Advertisement