Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it difficult (and or expensive) to get the designation of a house changed in Dubli

Options
  • 21-03-2021 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I’m considering bidding on a property in Dublin which is currently designated/used as business premise (offices).

Is it problematic to change this to residential only use?

It’s in south Dublin.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You apply for planning permission for change of use. Do a search on your local authority's planning site to see what the success rate of such applications is.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it is on an otherwise residential street, it shouldn't be a problem.

If it is on an otherwise commercial street or is a key service, e.g. GPs office, it may be harder.

Check what the zoning of the area is and if the property is listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

Thanks, I think it’s currently office (legal/financial).
    With a residential beside it.

Victor wrote: »
    If it is on an otherwise residential street, it shouldn't be a problem.

If it is on an otherwise commercial street or is a key service, e.g. GPs office, it may be harder.

Check what the zoning of the area is and if the property is listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the street was formerly primarily residential (e.g. the multiple streets of primarily offices in converted Georgian houses in the south city centre, the council are likely to be very receptive to the change of use.

From a quick research it appears that this house/street is zoned Z1

I’m still confused, despite reading the information on it...would seem to provide a decent chance for certain designated commercial uses yet what about the reverse?
    L1011 wrote: »
    If the street was formerly primarily residential (e.g. the multiple streets of primarily offices in converted Georgian houses in the south city centre, the council are likely to be very receptive to the change of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This the house in Terenure?

That’s the one!
    This the house in Terenure?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

From what I have seen...a commercial property agent who is selling it can look into it for you, and possibly get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That’s the one!

I was interested in this myself. For its size and location, I thought the price wasn't bad at all. Needs a lot of work to return it to residential so that's put me off.

It would make a nice period home though, especially if the features are still there under the suspended ceilings.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, it would likely cost a few thousand euros to do drawings and a planning application.

• Advertisement
Advertisement