Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NARGC request to members

Options
  • 21-03-2021 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

0?ui=2&ik=32e5d2b233&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r5882249409806535479&th=178557d1b7237c4c&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8iglCSfGwon8OIQLIN0u0PgIpMopad8g7E1A36WW7a7XXbGBejAaOmSQJ0RG-R_IQWLbv2Qo5Dx3O2lcnFG9XCEX_D_ANpAGsAZFyZNyJ4NXjKm2eaSd7TBJM&disp=emb&realattid=ii_kmjc9gqp0

RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL TODAY FROM NARGC

Poor Engagement by our members on Social Media
    To NARGC Members,

I Posted a message on Facebook 3 days ago, about Minister Malcolm Noonan ( Who is in charge of the NPWS), declaring on twitter that he is a Lifelong "Animal Rights Activist".

If this man thought he could get away with banning all Field Sports, he would do it tomorrow morning.

If the Alarm Bells did not go off in every one of our members head, and Rural Ireland Generally, we are in big trouble.

After 3 days on Facebook, we have only 2,634 hits, and 10 comments, and only a few forwarding it.

We had over 40,000 hits, and multiple comments when we published the Pigeon Ban last May.

We wrote to the Taoiseach, copied to every TD, that he is not a fit person to hold that Ministerial position, and he should remove him from that position.

I have no doubt, the government Spin doctors, together probably with Facebook are suppressing our message.

However our members are ferociously passive on this, which is being monitored by the same government spin Doctors.

This message is going out to 925 of you signed in members.

Can every one of you go onto the NARGC Facebook page, Like this Post, and forward it to your friends. If you are in groups, or your Club have a Facebook Account, forward it there also to all members.

Get this going please

Dan Curley, Chairman

Copyright © 2020 National Association of Regional Game Councils, All rights reserved.

This email was sent by:
    National Association of Regional Game Councils
    O'Connell House - Unit 1, O'Connell House Studios
    Mountmellick, County Laois, R32 DA36

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

2% rule strikes again.

Its a pity our own apathy will be the cause of our loss of sport.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Considering the NARGC's social media presence is approximately that of a boiled potato, and their activity/responses are similar, it is really not surprising they have zero reach on FB.
    Bearing that in mind their twitter is even worse than that.

Still awaiting their "robust response" to the mag ban & ammunition transport security SI 2 years ago that I was promised. :rolleyes:

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Maybe get the two lads out in their tweeds and baseball cap and vest to play media caricatures of hunters down by the pheasant pen to moan about the Minister on RTE again???
    Worked last time so well...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Or maybe try some Machevillean strategy and diplomacy 101, and instead of calling for the minister's head at the mob armed with torches and pitchforks, try turning this...[well too late now..Again]... to our advantage in saying that
    a well thought out PR statement,with some thought in it like a rough draft of 5 mins
    " We are pleased to see that the current Green minister is not following his Green EU and radical fellow colleagues, [and his own personal belifs and agenda] usual reactionary response to all things hunting and shooting by trying to ban and make life more difficult for the TRUE guardians of the countryside and true conservationists namely the shooting and hunting fraternity, and in this new era is willing to learn and listen from these organisations who do more for conservation on an annual basis than all militant animal rights organisations have in decades.
    Thru both parties listening to each other and taking each other's concerns and opinions aboard thru dialogue,the main beneficiary will be Ireland's wildlife and ecology. We look forward to this new era of cooperation between Min Noon and the shooting organisations!"

BOOM! You just nuked him, game, set and match! Shown ourselves open to dialogue, willing to discuss in a rational manner, shot down theEco Fascists on their own game on national media, highlighted his biases,but have given him an escape to be able to learn and show he is all things to all men and got a message out that doesn't make us sound like a bunch of knuckle draggers.

Leave the door open for us to then critique him if he does get assholey by stating we did want dialogue and detente,but were callously dismissed and ignored.

Someone, please send the NARGC a copy of "Media and PR for your organisation in the 21st century for Dummies!":rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I presume that all the other shooting organisations have also called on their members to make their feelings known on this issue ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    I presume that all the other shooting organisations have also called on their members to make their feelings known on this issue ?

Ah! Do they have to have a mandate to do so from the Irish shooting public,as well as a structured organisation?. ...Asking for a friend.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'll take that as no then - commenting for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭JP22

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Ah! Do they have to have a mandate to do so from the Irish shooting public,as well as a structured organisation?. ...Asking for a friend.

Grizzly,

Mandate or no mandate, our organisations are too small, too fractured, too intent on their own problems (internal & external) and carry no political weight.

As I have said before, we need a National Organisation to represent all aspects of firearms ownership and firearms related sports.

Vizzy wrote: »
    I'll take that as no then - commenting for a friend

Well seeing that the big organised organisations with a mandate dont want any help or don't like competition...And have as usual reacted, bull in china shop mode...I'm sure they have it all under control ....So.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

What's 925 members as a percentage of the overall NARGC membership - sub 5% perhaps?

Then from that 925 members who connected with the NARGC Facebook page, how many actually use Facebook regularly?

Relying on Facebook alone, seems crazy to me.

I do agree with the point that Dan is making, but ffs, why not use better communication methods?

Thanks,

G.

JP22 wrote: »
    Grizzly,

Mandate or no mandate, our organisations are too small, too fractured, too intent on their own problems (internal & external) and carry no political weight.

As I have said before, we need a National Organisation to represent all aspects of firearms ownership and firearms related sports.

I would dread to think of some people here being in charge and representing ALL shooting sports under a national umbrella body. We had a fine example of that with SCOVI and NASRPC peoples dealings to try and gain favours with ministers and footholds, and of course, money from courses, or that Gammon in the IFA willing to throw pistol shooters and SA CF owners to the wolves in 2015... To put the idea of a umbrella body in a big hole and bury it deep here.

What is simply needed here is a pact between the organisations that an attack on one is an attack on all. The unifying common cause is we are GUNOWNERS first. Irrespective of what we shoot...And your disiplines are a distant second...
    No one here is better or worse,because of what or how you shoot.
    That should not be too hard to agree to between all the alaphabet soups of orgs we have here?

That way ,people can get on with their petty internal court intrigues,fiefdom building and acting like prima donnas in their own little clubs and empires,and do little damage on a national level to everyone.

• Advertisement

garrettod wrote: »
    What's 925 members as a percentage of the overall NARGC membership - sub 5% perhaps?

Then from that 925 members who connected with the NARGC Facebook page, how many actually use Facebook regularly?

Relying on Facebook alone, seems crazy to me.

I do agree with the point that Dan is making, but ffs, why not use better communication methods?

Not looking at the age of its members...What's the average majority age of anyone now shooting in Ireland? The early 50s? Painting with a broad brush here,but is everyone in that age bracket going to be on FB or want to be or even computer literate to engage with social media,or want to? Let alone have even acceptable broadband coverage?

Bet they have phones and can read and send texts tho...:)
    Might be a better way of mobilising your grassroots, if they have opted in to receive texts, and with a note to please FWD to two or more hunters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Not looking at the age of its members...What's the average majority age of anyone now shooting in Ireland? The early 50s? Painting with a broad brush here,but is everyone in that age bracket going to be on FB or want to be or even computer literate to engage with social media,or want to? Let alone have even acceptable broadband coverage?

Bet they have phones and can read and send texts tho...:)
    Might be a better way of mobilising your grassroots, if they have opted in to receive texts, and with a note to please FWD to two or more hunters?

So true. We have a whatsapp group for club members. Thats where I saw this first. Pointless though, because I'm not on Facebook, so can do nothing. Frustrating to say the least.

Eddie B wrote: »
    So true. We have a whatsapp group for club members. Thats where I saw this first. Pointless though, because I'm not on Facebook, so can do nothing. Frustrating to say the least.

You could put a comment on Twitter, if you've an account there :)

Thanks,

G.

You could put a comment on Twitter, if you've an account there :)

NOPE! Just WhatsApp, YouTube, and forums lol

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

925 members is the total who signed into their website I believe.
    I also received the email from the Nargc and am not connected to them on Facebook.
    They have a serious problem getting their info down to each individual members.

And a serious problem with members who are in the know not communicating with their clubs.

Everyone here should at least contact their local TD etc.
    I don't do it for the Nargc, I do it for myself as it is my sport I am trying save.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

J.R. wrote: »
    0?ui=2&ik=32e5d2b233&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r5882249409806535479&th=178557d1b7237c4c&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8iglCSfGwon8OIQLIN0u0PgIpMopad8g7E1A36WW7a7XXbGBejAaOmSQJ0RG-R_IQWLbv2Qo5Dx3O2lcnFG9XCEX_D_ANpAGsAZFyZNyJ4NXjKm2eaSd7TBJM&disp=emb&realattid=ii_kmjc9gqp0

RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL TODAY FROM NARGC

Poor Engagement by our members on Social Media
    To NARGC Members,

I Posted a message on Facebook 3 days ago, about Minister Malcolm Noonan ( Who is in charge of the NPWS), declaring on twitter that he is a Lifelong "Animal Rights Activist".

If this man thought he could get away with banning all Field Sports, he would do it tomorrow morning.

If the Alarm Bells did not go off in every one of our members head, and Rural Ireland Generally, we are in big trouble.

After 3 days on Facebook, we have only 2,634 hits, and 10 comments, and only a few forwarding it.

We had over 40,000 hits, and multiple comments when we published the Pigeon Ban last May.

We wrote to the Taoiseach, copied to every TD, that he is not a fit person to hold that Ministerial position, and he should remove him from that position.

I have no doubt, the government Spin doctors, together probably with Facebook are suppressing our message.

However our members are ferociously passive on this, which is being monitored by the same government spin Doctors.

This message is going out to 925 of you signed in members.

Can every one of you go onto the NARGC Facebook page, Like this Post, and forward it to your friends. If you are in groups, or your Club have a Facebook Account, forward it there also to all members.

Get this going please

Dan Curley, Chairman

Copyright © 2020 National Association of Regional Game Councils, All rights reserved.

This email was sent by:
    National Association of Regional Game Councils
    O'Connell House - Unit 1, O'Connell House Studios
    Mountmellick, County Laois, R32 DA36
    Who do NARGC want to replace Malcolm Noonan with?

Who do NARGC want to replace Malcolm Noonan with?

I didn't get the impression that the NARGC want to put a particular person into the role, did you?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

I didn't get the impression that the NARGC want to put a particular person into the role, did you?

Nope I don't get the impression that anybody is linked to it. My feeling is it's anybody except a self proclaimed animal rights activist. It's a conflict of interes. I can't see how an unbiased opinion can be used in any future decisions he has to make

Wouldn't matter who replaced Noonan were such to occur.The trick is to manouvere them into a position as to make them dependent on your cooperation and advice while making them look good...Called machiavellian diplomacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Excavo

JP22 wrote: »
    Grizzly,

Absolutely agree 100% with this.
    As the biggest, the NARGC need to drive this however they badly need an overhaul at the top table.

• Advertisement

Excavo wrote: »
    Absolutely agree 100% with this.
    As the biggest, the NARGC need to drive this however they badly need an overhaul at the top table.

Your last part of your statement that's the exact reason, there should NEVER be an umbrella group dealing with all shooting sports here. Get lads who are too comfortable in their positions and won't be shifted out. Or suffer from Fuddism,and throw a segment they don't like to the wolves as appeasement and expediency, when needed.

Just uploaded this to YouTube so's I could share it here. I'm not affiliated with the NARGC lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Wouldn't matter who replaced Noonan were such to occur.The trick is to manouvere them into a position as to make them dependent on your cooperation and advice while making them look good...Called machiavellian diplomacy.

Aka syrup catches more flies than vinegar....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Woodcock shot

Eddie B wrote: »

I’m the very same as this,

Advertisement