Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle Trailer Write off

Options
  • 21-03-2021 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    the hitch on my jeep broke trailer came off and flipped into a drain.. insurance came out and assessd the trailer and said it was a damaged repairable. they offered me a price for the trailer and they take it away and they offered me a price for the trailer and i keep it.. if i was to keep it to put it on the road again i need to get an engineers report done on it. does anyone know the cost of this report? or where it can be done.. im based in roscommon/longford.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Not sure who would do that. There was talk on here on another trailer thread of a fella on Done Deal who plates trailers.
    He might be someone who would be a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Hi
    the hitch on my jeep broke trailer came off and flipped into a drain.. insurance came out and assessd the trailer and said it was a damaged repairable. they offered me a price for the trailer and they take it away and they offered me a price for the trailer and i keep it.. if i was to keep it to put it on the road again i need to get an engineers report done on it. does anyone know the cost of this report? or where it can be done.. im based in roscommon/longford.
    thanks

I assume there must be a big price difference between the two, to make you want the hassle of repairing it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭green daries

Jb1989 wrote: »
    I assume there must be a big price difference between the two, to make you want the hassle of repairing it yourself?

There is an engineer in mayo as far as I know pm me if interested and I will find out more

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

I think with say a van it u need report for doe it’s 250 and he has to check it after repairs and that’s 150 , that was before from conor dceasy accesers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 crips kelly

hi all
    thanks for all your replies.
    in regards to price difference there isnt much in it thats why ive thought about taking the option of keeping the trailer and repairing it.
    i have since bought an identical trailer as i use a trailer regularly. i paid 4200 for the trailer. my trailer that came off the jeep is same year manufactured, condition etc. insurance are offering me 3500 for my trailer and they bring the trailer away or 3000 for the trailer and i keep it and repair it. i estimate repairs to be 6-700euro and then the engineers report ontop of that so im thinking its a no brainer and fixing it up and selling it on again. that would mean 3000 minus say roughly 1000 for repairs and report and sell the trailer on again for 3800-4000 roughly that would mean then id be getting roughly 6k for the trailer really. i think im right in my figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

hi all
    thanks for all your replies.
    in regards to price difference there isnt much in it thats why ive thought about taking the option of keeping the trailer and repairing it.
    i have since bought an identical trailer as i use a trailer regularly. i paid 4200 for the trailer. my trailer that came off the jeep is same year manufactured, condition etc. insurance are offering me 3500 for my trailer and they bring the trailer away or 3000 for the trailer and i keep it and repair it. i estimate repairs to be 6-700euro and then the engineers report ontop of that so im thinking its a no brainer and fixing it up and selling it on again. that would mean 3000 minus say roughly 1000 for repairs and report and sell the trailer on again for 3800-4000 roughly that would mean then id be getting roughly 6k for the trailer really. i think im right in my figures

There value on your own trailer is where you start. If the new one cost 4.5k and they are only valuing yours at 3.5k I be fighting on the value of the trailer unless but was in much worse condition than your own. I presume you bought the new one off a dealership.

Any trailer replated and repaired will not come anywhere near a similar age/condition trailer. I think you are optimistic on repairs cost. An engineer's report could cost as much as the repairs. Trailer repaired will be worth 2.5 k only IMO

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

There value on your own trailer is where you start. If the new one cost 4.5k and they are only valuing yours at 3.5k I be fighting on the value of the trailer unless but was in much worse condition than your own. I presume you bought the new one off a dealership.

Any trailer replated and repaired will not come anywhere near a similar age/condition trailer.
    I think you are optimistic on repairs cost. An engineer's report could cost as much as the repairs. Trailer repaired will be worth 2.5 k only IMO

The bold part is key

The repaired trailer wont compete with a non repaired trailer for sale, would only be a viable repair for own use not a repair to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What are the repairs that are needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 finbar82

The engineers report was about €150 the last time I got one done for welding the chassis on a hilux. Ring your local CVRT test centre they usually have a list of local engineers, that are indemnified and on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

surely an engineers report is only needed if the trailer is being modified or the chassis and running gear like axles, brakes damaged and needing repair.

If its only roof and side sheeting then I cant see it needing engineers report as its replacing. If chassis is damaged why would you even consider fixing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

surely an engineers report is only needed if the trailer is being modified or the chassis and running gear like axles, brakes damaged and needing repair.

If its only roof and side sheeting then I cant see it needing engineers report as its replacing. If chassis is damaged why would you even consider fixing it

You will need an engineer's report as insurance company will put it as an economic write-off against its chassis number. If you fix d it and sold it if next user damaged the chassis and continued using it or if brakes failed you would want proof that it was fixed properly before you sold it

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement