Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a New Bike from Germany

Options
  • 21-03-2021 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello all,

I am looking into importing a bike from Germany,
    I am unsure that if I am paying Vat and Vrt in Ireland when I bring it in, should I be able to buy the bike without Vat in Germany?

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If its <6 months old or <6k km then it's considered new and you'll need to pay VAT and VRT, you can buy VAT free if the dealer can do it or you can reclaim the German VAT once you pay the Irish VAT. The best option for <6k km wss nice road trip home from Germany, COVID fecked that up.

If it's >6 months old and >6k km the you only pay VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Wateryway

That's great, thanks. I was wondering, didn't seem correct to pay double vat.
    That opens up a few options.
    As you say though, tricky to get it back at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Do your sums, and check any additional costs.

German number plates are assigned to the owner, so you may need special dealer plates to get it home.

Light clusters may also need to be changed, LHD vs RHD.

Germans usually maintain their bikes well, so buying 2nd hand can be good, but it would want to be either something special or a bargain to be worth it.

Come on OP, what bike is it?

Nothing special, I see a few nc750x and vstroms, with just a few km, a few grand cheaper than here. Didn't think of the lights tho... Maybe more trouble than it's worth.
    And no way if getting the Vat back from the UK I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

colm_c wrote: »

Light clusters may also need to be changed, LHD vs RHD.

Seriously ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Seriously ?

Yeah, the beam projection can and is different on many bikes and cars for LHD vs RHD.

colm_c wrote: »
    Yeah, the beam projection can and is different on many bikes and cars for LHD vs RHD.

On the BMW GS 1150 you just turn the light a few cms 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

Seriously ?

This is something that can be easily done on modern bikes thankfully, usually just physically moving the light housing in the brackets and then locking them back in.

The VRT won't test this btw, a DR650 i imported last year was German reg, they just check the mileage and that the VIN, engine number and plates match the log book.

We didn't even turn the bike on as it had an analog odometer

I've brought in several from Germany. Never had an issue, sellers just tend to be more honest. Some bought on pictures only and twice I flew over to see the bike.

Any particular place you source them? I've been looking at the mobile.de app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Seriously ?

Yes, seriously. BTDT.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wateryway wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am looking into importing a bike from Germany,
    I am unsure that if I am paying Vat and Vrt in Ireland when I bring it in, should I be able to buy the bike without Vat in Germany?

Thanks..

If you are driving the bike away, it is unlikely you'll be allowed to buy it without German VAT. That may only be possible if you have it shipped/couriered.

It may be that the seller can't/won't sell it without it anyway (if it's too much bother, paperwork-wise), in which case you will get caught for double-VAT. I'm not sure how could reclaim it from the German authorities. If you can find a VAT-qualifying one (MWST ausweisbar) it might be easier, but sometimes they'll only do that if you have an VAT no here.

If you can find a demo or similar one, 6mth old+, 6k kms+ on it, it's far, far more straightforward.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

Wateryway wrote: »
    Any particular place you source them? I've been looking at the mobile.de app.

autoscout24

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you are driving the bike away, it is unlikely you'll be allowed to buy it without German VAT. That may only be possible if you have it shipped/couriered.

It may be that the seller can't/won't sell it without it anyway (if it's too much bother, paperwork-wise), in which case you will get caught for double-VAT. I'm not sure how could reclaim it from the German authorities. If you can find a VAT-qualifying one (MWST ausweisbar) it might be easier, but sometimes they'll only do that if you have an VAT no here.

If you can find a demo or similar one, 6mth old+, 6k kms+ on it, it's far, far more straightforward.

According to this it's the seller who should refund the VAT once you send proof that you paid Irish VAT. If the seller refuses then you need to contact the local tax authorities.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/cars/vat-buying-selling-cars/faq/index_en.htm

The ECC should be able to help

https://www.eccireland.ie/

Advertisement