Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Onlyzeone

From talking to people on here and my own research I've come to my own conclusion of what's best for me... hope it helps...

The only "free charger" at the moment seems to be from Energia. This charger is the EVBox Elvi. But the price for this deal is .2249c/kwhr. Whereas you can get. From a rival supplier - 16c/kwhr or less from bord gais for electricity price at the moment. So at average usage of the EV6 being put at 18kw/100km. 10,000km in a year with energia would cost €404, the same with Bord gais is €288.

But you also got to take into account the price hike for home use. My house currently uses 4400kw/year. At energia prices this would cost €989/year,with Bord gais it is €704/year. The difference between the two suppliers taking their cost/kw, car and home, into account is €401.

The rival charger in pricing against is the Zappi. This will cost me €685 to get installed after grant rebate. So what I want against what is free is €284.

€284 and better charger when I get solar is what I'm doing as the zappi has a "solar only" charger option.

Hope that helps, summarised it as much as I could... I think the math is right but...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You can add 10% to your charging cost due to losses during charging process

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Guys, for those of you who are buying these cars brand new do you mind if I ask how you're buying? E.g. PCP?

And also what percentage of annual income do you think is reasonable to spend on a new electric car?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Still undecided between PCP or 50% through bank loan.

I saw recently something saying 15% of take home should be max but not sure if that number was just pulled out of thin air 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

I'm not a financial advisor, however I got PCP for my last car. It worked out OK for us but often people don't fully appreciate the the terms and conditions of PCP nor plan for the balloon payment. If your planning on keeping the car after the 3 years, the cost of credit will be higher than straight HP. You can test this out on Kiacredit.ie.

If you can get a bank load at the same interest rate I'd go with a bank due to the terms and conditions but I wouldn't pay more for it.

When we where on PCP we missed one repayment due to money not being in the right account and all that Ulster bank shite. Under the T and C if we missed two repayments in total at any time over the 3 years the car could be taken and we'd get nothing. It was quiet the shock and worry as sometimes things go wrong and money fails to clear an account on time. Most people just aren't aware of how must power it gives the lender.

The entire business model for PCP is to trap you buying a new car every 3 years.

Regarding income per year, that something you need to work out based on your own budget. Are you currently saving each month the cost of the repayments, if not what will you do to change that behaviour. You don't want to be scrambling to make the repayments. PCP has lower monthly repayments but you need to think about that massive final payment and how you will afford it.

• Advertisement

Hey Mark,

I like the new video.

A couple of things you said I was unsure of...

You said that the power tailgate, V2L andradar cruise control are only on the gt line... I'm 100% sure power tailgate and V2L and power tailgate are standard on earth, also pretty sure radar cruise control is as well. I would like to know if I am incorrect.

Your point that the car has to be plugged in to be able to preheat... that is annoying. I hope that is updatable

Also, you were trying to open the charge port by pressing at the top of the flap. There is a nubbin/rubber extrusion on the interior of the flap that corresponds to the close button you can see when the flap is open. By pressing on this point in the exterior of the flap(that corresponds to the nubbin), and it opens without an issue. Learnt this from messing with it myself.

Otherwise, I love the quality and pace of your videos, enjoy watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

Thanks for the detailed response. I am currently on a day / night tariff with Energia and I have solar and a solar battery. I know on my Energia tariff there is a limit on KWH per month on the night tariff (2000 iirc) but the night rate is 8.7 inc VAT taking into account the recent increases. I have to say I am not a fan of Energia, too much messing about and chasing them on the phone, I'll be moving in January to a new provider.

Making a few enquiries tomorrow regarding home charger, I don't think I will be going with Kia. Garage recommending Wallbox, but I must look into Zappi.

You have other factors to take into account then. At the price you are talking about, the free charger should be worth it as you have a fantastic night rate and you have solar already for daytime charging as well.

There is just no one fits all solution.

The myenergi zappi can communicate with your solar and only charge the car with the excess energy your solar is creating, if you want. Comes highly recommended as well

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

You are correct, Earth includes V2L, Adaptive cruise and power tailgate.

Pre-heating can still be done remotely from the app when not plugged in which is the important thing IMO.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Sounds just like the E niro, regarding pre heating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Hey all - yes Earth has a lot of the spec, I just focused on the GT in the video but will cover an Earth at some point.

The point on the charge port door to hit it is not clear (it’s probably in the manual).

You can pre heat the car via the app I’ve been told since the video went up but it’s a little silly that the car lets you input all the details to pre heat, even let’s you pick the day(s) but doesn’t tell you that you need the app to execute it.

Overall, a fine car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fsniper

Hey All. I have put an order for January/February delivery. I am waiting impatiently for the EV6 now.

Did anyone applied for a charger grant here? I don't see the ev6 in the application form.

I applied and got a confirmation that I could use the e-Niro as the closest model.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Ryano87

Just put a deposit down on a GT line in yacht blue. First electric car and can't wait.

Nice. Any idea of timelines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I sat in one of these today and I must say I was very disappointed. No soft touch plastics at all in a cat for 50k crazy. It is a lovely car do but its no more spacious inside than a Sportage and a Sportage has better quality dash and door plastics too that are soft to the touch and this by the way is the current runout Sportage and its also a 20k cheaper car. Crazy.

I will say this do at least the kia showrooms let you sit in the car unlike Hyundai where the I5 was not open at all. Very disappointing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No. They had a gravity blue earth in the showroom which they offered me for January registration.

Probs be Feb/Mar I think - not stuck for a car (especially if another lock down happens) so decided to wait.

I think for me the GT line is worth the little extra when spending such a large amount of money so decided I'd hold on.

I notice significant variation in price point. This is what I'm paying.

Kia EV6 GT Line in Yacht Blue Metallic paint:

€60,575

Less SEAI Grant €5,000

This include delivery charge of €580 

I notice that some dealerships are adding on as much as €2200 to the base price compared to kia.ie.

• Advertisement

I thought the grant only applied to cars priced under 60k. Are you liable to run into difficulty with a price of 60,575?

That's €575 more than I'm paying with no trade in. I didn't even haggle the price tbh

They seem to be interpreting it as a pre delivery charge ceiling. Found the same to be true for my local Skoda dealership.

I'd double check that with SEAI. What is their definition? A garage is likely to tell you anything to get a sale, but it SEAI says no 5k grant that's it and a costly mistake!

You should call SEAI tomorrow, they are very good over the phone.

Who claims the grant, is it me or the dealership? Implication up to know had been the dealership but certainly from reading the website they seem to be in a bit of bother.

It is the dealership, so perhaps the are telling SEAI the sale price is 59,999 to keep it under 60k, but charging you delivery extra. If it was me I'd want clarity over this from both dealer and SEAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

I'd be inclined to pay the €575 rather than run the risk of losing your €5.000 SEAI grant... Would annoy me too but

I think I'm sorted then. Seal website is pretty clear that what the dealership is doing is wrong, the ceiling is inclusive of delivery but I've an email from the dealership outlining the price and the applied grant. Feels like a them problem. Might shop them in after.

hmmm, that wouldn't be my view. The SEAI is a state body effectively giving grants funded by tax payers and their grant process is cast iron with no quibbles. Either you meet the criteria and get the grant or you don't. To me it doesn't matter what an e-mail from the garage says, your sale price seems to be over 60k in total, so this means you don't qualify in my opinion.

Perhaps a revised quote from the Garage might be they way to go with a separate payment for delivery?

• Advertisement

Again, that all seems like a them problem no? It's not like they'll be getting an extra 5K out of me on collection day? Its the dealership who would be out 5K no? If they raise the issue before collection I'll just ask for my deposit back as I paid for it under the terms outlined in our written agreement.

Tbh I visited multiple dealerships in the Dublin area for differ cars and they where all at this. MSL navan road was tacting on approx 2K delivery charge on a a Skoda prices at 59800 enyaq and claiming the Seai grant would still apply. It appears none of this is in line with the grant conditions.

Advertisement