Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Put a deposit down on a 2022 EV6 this morning. Really looking forward to getting my hands on it. Just wondering how does Kia Connect work? Is there a subscription fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Works great, just download the app to your phone and register with your VIN and it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tommythecat

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Hoping to pick up my EV6 this weekend. Just wondering whether there are any accessories people would recommend? I’ll pick up a boot liner for sure but anything else? Is a dashcam an easy install?

Fitcamx is a great dashcam that looks OEM, it integrates so well. I'm very happy with it.

https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx-dash-cam-for-2022-2023-kia-ev6-kia-ev6-gt?variant=42821376049324

I also got this tray for under the armrest as it's just a giant box otherwise which is kind of useless. You can store stuff underneath but then keep coins/sunglasses etc on top.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09R1DYQ7Z/ref%3Dpe_27063361_487055811_TE_dp_1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭skinnyfries

Just to let all EV6 owners know, there has been a number of thefts in the Dundalk area recently. An EV6 was stolen last night from a driveway in Blackrock. Apparently the thieves can override the remote locking. One also stolen from Bettystown over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So it's moved over here. Big issue in the UK kias impacted include Niro ev5 , hyundais too.

Seems relatively easily nicked overriding systems.

If I had one I'd probably look to install aftermarket system like Ghost for piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Qsaab

Thanks for posting on here re thefts. I’ve an ev6 but bought it used from a non Kia dealership. Would appreciate if any fixes or updates are found that you could post here as I won’t hear them from dealership.

Starline immobiliser is one brand.

I wouldn't trust anything any manufacturer is going they've all shown to be slow or downright incompetent at protecting from this.. the video below was a relay attack so presume it's relaying your key to the car. A simple Faraday box with your keys in it nightly would stop that type but I'm not sure other types of attack including OBD hacks.

See video , stolen recovered then had immobiliser fitted to stop future theft.

• Advertisement

presume for the odb hack they need to physically break into the car first?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭skinnyfries

I’ve started using ‘Valet Mode’ before I turn off the car. Also, when you lock the car with the fob, hold the lock button down for 4 seconds.

Apparently the car stolen in Bettystown was in Newry just before the GPS was disconnected.

Thieves seem to be sophisticated and are removing owners from Kia Connect once they get access to the car. If you get a notification saying your details have changed, be alarmed and check your driveway!

Another great tip is to disable keyless entry. To do this, Press and hold down the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on the fob until the indicators flash four times. This disables the keyless entry so unlock on approach, touching the door handle etc will no longer work until you unlock the car with the unlock button on the fob.

Apparently this is one of the major ways the thefts are occurring so you should do this when you park up for the night. It resets once you unlock the car.

The time you forget will be the time it's gone. I'd price up the immobiliser and be done with it. Pricey loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Raoul

Is there no immobiliser on the car already?

Thanks tommythecat, Great info on turning off keyless entry. Pity it can’t be done permanently. 

Skinnyfries, does using valet mode and holding the lock button for 4 seconds also turn off keyless entry or something different? Thanks. 

has anyone here had an immobiliser fitted? If so, what kind of cost were you looking at?

just wondering if an ODB port lock is the simplest option. Less intrusive than a full immobiliser. Cheaper too. Ultimately it’s all about slowing them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

OBDport lock will not delay them. They can access the canbus by attaching bulldog clips to wires anywhere they can get to them including outside the car as you will see in video below with a Range Rover.

Slowing them down is the most sensible option as you said. What I do is enable valet mode and have also turned off approach unlock so if relay is tried the door handles will not pop out automatically. Also keep my keys in a faraday box and have an AirTag stowed in the car.

It seems our cars have the same vulnerability as Range Rovers so will be targeted more going forward. 3 of top 5 most stolen EV’s in UK last year were Hyundai/Kia with EV6 sitting at number 3.

Anyone who wants to go all out and fit a second immobilzer, the ghost is approx €500 fitted or a steering wheel lock is another option.

• Advertisement

so there’s no real defence against the gameboy attack other than a secondary immobiliser then? Turning off approach unlock will just not tell them that the doors are unlocked, but if they try the handle, presumably they can still open the door? And presumably valet mode is easily bypassed via ODB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

all true, even a secondary immobilizer can be bypassed as the thieves know where they are normally located and will just disconnect them.

My methods are just a mild deterrent that do not inconvenience me too much.

This is a problem with every modern car with keyless entry and ignition, and if a professional thief wants your car (opposed to a joyrider), he is going to take it and if you make it too difficult he could end up paying you a visit.

It’s only a car at the end of the day and insured. I would prefer to have it stolen without my house getting broken into too!

It’s not something to be losing sleep over IMO, last year the most stolen car in UK was a Ford Fiesta with over 5000 thefts opposed to 96 for EV6.

The only stat I can find for Ireland is that over 4000 cars were stolen in total last year.

Just to say the key fob goes to sleep after 30 minutes when not moved so no real need for a faraday box for them.

I have a couple of pouches knocking about. I figure no harm.

Turning off the keyless entry using the method I described above will help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Obviously it’s very concerning how “easy” it appears to be to steal an EV6 but some of the suggestions above may drive determined thieves to go further. Do you really want intruders entering your home to get at the keys of your car in the middle of the night. Theft will be covered by insurance and a car is easily replaced. I’m sure this view won’t sit well with everyone but it’s worth considering.

Officially an EV6 owner now. Wasn’t sure about the white when I saw the pics originally but the pearlescent finish is gorgeous in the flesh. Now to get everything set up.

First question already 😂

Trying to link my account to my profile. It’s stuck on ‘Registering… Please wait’. I’ve tried removing and re-adding but it makes no difference. Shared the car with my wife and she was able to link her account straight away. Anyone else had this issue?

• Advertisement

Beautiful car , May it be lucky for you. Made the same move here few weeks ago and very happy with it. Spoke to the tech department here, who is 13 and does all that for us. Only one profile was set up & myself and my better half use that profile. Not sure if we’ll need to set up separate profiles?

Advertisement