Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I think it was over 15 years ago when I started the first Leeds thread on boards, what a rollercoaster it has been
    MOT

I really can’t get enough of Bamfords assist on Friday, you feel that if it was a higher profile player it would get more attention, Iam obviously extremely biased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I see Bamford's choice of England has been flagged as a further blow to Kenny's squad. Doubt he was ever near opting for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

This is why I hate when England qualify for a major tournament. Endless and endless nonsense debates about which players will get into the team. Spotting Southgate in the stands, leads to more debate. Debate after the match on Sky, BBC and BT. Goes on and on. Its as if they were the only team in the tournament. Nothing said about how Tyler Roberts may do with the Welsh team or should he start for Wales. All revolves around England.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I really can’t get enough of Bamfords assist on Friday, you feel that if it was a higher profile player it would get more attention, Iam obviously extremely biased

I agree, it was an inch perfect pass and every bit as good as the finish it led to.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

That was a good win on Friday. While Fulham haven't won many games,they have been very hard to beat recently and are horrible to play against. Contrast that with Newcastle who look like they have given up. We really matched them for intensity and physicality which was great to see.

Just before our second goal,Roberts tracked Lookman right to the edge of our 6 yard box and prevented him getting a clean strike on what was a great ball across. Serious effort from a lad trying to guarantee his place in next season's squad. 25 seconds later it's in their net.

I hope we keep Roberts,he's done well in the last few games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I think it was over 15 years ago when I started the first Leeds thread on boards, what a rollercoaster it has been
    MOT

Fully agree. A nice swerve past their defender and perfectly weighted for Raphinha who still had much to do. 14 goals, 6 assists and at least three disallowed goals alongside all the other work he does. Should be in the England squad but better for us that he isn't. The fortnight's rest is coming at exactly the right time for him and some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Just before our second goal,Roberts tracked Lookman right to the edge of our 6 yard box and prevented him getting a clean strike on what was a great ball across. Serious effort from a lad trying to guarantee his place in next season's squad. 25 seconds later it's in their net.

I hope we keep Roberts,he's done well in the last few games.

Agreed, I was equally impressed with that effort prior to the goal. He has done well in fairness and has proved that he has something to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

At the start of this season I felt in a couple of games we would annihilate the other team. Didnt know who it would be, but it would be the day everything would click. Villa, Newcastle, West Brom so far. And I think Sheffield United will be another. They are atrocious. I know their 'manager' has two weeks with them now but so has MB. Hopefully anyway

One other thing I really liked in the second half on Friday was where Meslier came to grab a corner, up against one the big lads for Fulham. You could almost see him grow from this, as if starting to believe that he is able to compete physically. Or maybe I was reading too much into it and was just relieved after the first half defending from corners! :P

Yeah, he did well.

Im not too worried about his size, I remember DDG when he signed for Man U and he was tiny. Got absolutely battered around and he turned out ok :) Will take him a while to beef up, he's only a kid. Been one of our best players this year.

In fact I'd find it very hard to pick a 'worst' player this season tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Was it in the first half where he came out and flattened one of the Fulham CBs? I did hold my breath for a bit, waiting for VAR. It was great to see him assert himself, though, because he's a big lad and should do it more often. Hard for a keeper playing behind a constantly changing back 4. Especially when Llorente and Struijk started a "ladies excuse me" in the first half...."after you"...."No, after you....". They became quite frail from that point on. I do have a feeling that Struijk can go on to become a seriously good player if he gets the right coaching.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Was it in the first half where he came out and flattened one of the Fulham CBs? I did hold my breath for a bit, waiting for VAR. It was great to see him assert himself, though, because he's a big lad and should do it more often. Hard for a keeper playing behind a constantly changing back 4. Especially when Llorente and Struijk started a "ladies excuse me" in the first half...."after you"...."No, after you....". They became quite frail from that point on. I do have a feeling that Struijk can go on to become a seriously good player if he gets the right coaching.

Yep. He got back to the line then and made an outstanding save, clawed it back it seemed.

Thats true on the second point and why I do like Cooper, he talks a lot more. Llorente seems to have that about him as well. But Struijk and Koch barely open their mouths at times

event wrote: »
    At the start of this season I felt in a couple of games we would annihilate the other team. Didnt know who it would be, but it would be the day everything would click. Villa, Newcastle, West Brom so far. And I think Sheffield United will be another. They are atrocious. I know their 'manager' has two weeks with them now but so has MB. Hopefully anyway

Could very well do that. We're due a big win and an early goal draws them out. We need some momentum also heading into three big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I see after the Fulham goal, Raphinha took command of the goal line duties for some of the set pieces. Complete player.

U23s currently 3-0 up away to West Brom. Gelhardt has scored a hat-trick, including two penalties. Assuming they go on to win, that puts them one win away from promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Agreed, I was equally impressed with that effort prior to the goal. He has done well in fairness and has proved that he has something to offer.

He was still defending from the front and closing down the fulham CB at 88 minutes. That's onviously what Bielsa sees, effort and heart. If he could sort out his decision making it would be great, few times he has opted to shoot when a pass would have been better.

Meslier, should get keeper of the season if there is one. A frail back four more most of the season and he has pulled off the saves to keep us in games and in winning positions.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Meslier, should get keeper of the season if there is one. A frail back four more most of the season and he has pulled off the saves to keep us in games and in winning positions.

The Premier League do give the Golden Glove award to the keeper who has had most clean sheets over the course of the season. Don't think there's a specific award for Keeper of the Season.

Zaph wrote: »
    The Premier League do give the Golden Glove award to the keeper who has had most clean sheets over the course of the season. Don't think there's a specific award for Keeper of the Season.

PFA Team of the Season is pretty objective so he has a good chance. Nick Pope was their choice last year.

Plus plenty of critics' awards.

U23s currently 3-0 up away to West Brom. Gelhardt has scored a hat-trick, including two penalties. Assuming they go on to win, that puts them one win away from promotion.
    Ended 5-0 but need to wait until at least April 12 for next Stoke U23s game or April 16 for next Leeds game.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ended 5-0 but need to wait until at least April 12 for next Stoke U23s game or April 16 for next Leeds game.

Greenwood scored a screamer of a free kick for the fifth. Well worth checking out on Twitter if you haven't seen it yet.

• Advertisement

Greenwood scored a screamer of a free kick for the fifth. Well worth checking out on Twitter if you haven't seen it yet.

Superb, and hard to see any PL keeper saving that. Let's hope him and Gelhardt get first-team time before the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Superb, and hard to see any PL keeper saving that. Let's hope him and Gelhardt get first-team time before the end of the season.

Little Jimmy Summerville looks like a serious prospect too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Little Jimmy Summerville looks like a serious prospect too.

In Fairness he runs away from most of them!

He only played one season at Leeds, but he got plenty of goals and was a real character on and off the pitch in the George Best/Stan Bowles mould. RIP Frank Worthington.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

I see Bamford's choice of England has been flagged as a further blow to Kenny's squad. Doubt he was ever near opting for Ireland.

With a no-name like Kenny as manager, we were never going to convince him to sign up, especially with us also having little or no chance of reaching a finals any time soon (due to our seeding)

It has nothing to do with Kenny. He wasn't interested when Mick was in charge either. He obviously doesn't seem himself as Irish which is perfectly fair. I'd rather that than others who see it simply as an opportunity of playing international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

championc wrote: »
    With a no-name like Kenny as manager, we were never going to convince him to sign up, especially with us also having little or no chance of reaching a finals any time soon (due to our seeding)

He effectively ended his tentative and short lived interest in Ireland back in 2018 when Mick approached him, after MON had also not had any luck.

Ship had loooong since sailed by the time Kenny came in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

He seemed to see himself as Irish when he was younger. England will do their usual and play him once to make sure he can't declare for someone else. It's very hard to get players now, any that were born in the UK of Irish parents have the choice, and there's nothing to draw them to Ireland. We really need 3/4 players of PL standard, then players like Bamford might think more about declaring for Ireland.

Seems to be a bit of a storm brewing on some Supporters Social Media groups around the possibility of Alioski signing for Galatasaray when his contract runs out with us at the end of the season.

Interested to hear what people think.

Don't have an issue with it myself but obviously not from Leeds and probably don't have the same depth of feeling that some supporters do about this particular issue.Having said that I would have been extremely critical of Kewell when he signed for them,given that was with us at the time it happened,played in the games and would have been under no illusions as to what making that move would mean.

Anyone else got a view ?

• Advertisement

Kewell moving was unforgivable, he is forever tainted in my eyes. It is different now but I still think Alioski would be aware of the history and the depth of feeling around it.
    I'm kinda like you on it Jimmy, it's not something I'm living with or around. However I can understand if people are getting worked up over it. Ultimately there are family, friends, neighbours who will forever see Galatasaray as a reminder of what happened and can't understand how a Leeds player, especially one in the club and as much of a fans favourite as Alioski has been, could contemplate a move there.

I suppose it's a different situation from Kewell and to be fair Alioski will just be looking for the best deal he can get for himself, regardless of where it is. However I do hope that he's at least aware of the history and will have been made aware that his standing will diminish with a portion of the Leeds fans. Not that that should necessarily make him change his mind, but personally I'd view any player going there with a least a bit of disappointment, rather than hatred. But on the plus side at least it's not Man Utd.

Seems to be a bit of a storm brewing on some Supporters Social Media groups around the possibility of Alioski signing for Galatasaray when his contract runs out with us at the end of the season.

Don't have an issue with it myself but obviously not from Leeds and probably don't have the same depth of feeling that some supporters do about this particular issue.Having said that I would have been extremely critical of Kewell when he signed for them,given that was with us at the time it happened,played in the games and would have been under no illusions as to what making that move would mean.

Anyone else got a view ?

I'd go along with all that you say. Alioski had done the club great service and is entitled to move where he wishes.

Our club has historically also been involved in much bad behaviour by our fans and the events in Istanbul were preceded by pretty awful stuff. I've seen the English fans at games in continental Europe (last time was Madrid 2001) and it ain't pretty. No other nationality would visit another country and behave so despicably. Can you imagine half-naked Turkish fans in the centre of Leeds urinating into fountains, hassling women, breaking glasses, littering and puking on the street. All the while taunting locals. What happened in Istanbul was truly horrific, I'm just surprised there's not been more events like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I'd go along with all that you say. Alioski had done the club great service and is entitled to move where he wishes.

Our club has historically also been involved in much bad behaviour by our fans and the events in Istanbul were preceded by pretty awful stuff. I've seen the English fans at games in continental Europe (last time was Madrid 2001) and it ain't pretty. No other nationality would visit another country and behave so despicably. Can you imagine half-naked Turkish fans in the centre of Leeds urinating into fountains, hassling women, breaking glasses, littering and puking on the street. All the while taunting locals. What happened in Istanbul was truly horrific, I'm just surprised there's not been more events like that.

I couldn't begrudge him for going there. He had nothing to do with what happened. As a professional footballer without a club this summer he has a chance to get 1st team starts with a club that can challenge for some silverware domestically at least.

So, in the wise words of Marie Antoinette "let him eat saksuka".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Hijpo wrote: »
    I couldn't begrudge him for going there. He had nothing to do with what happened. As a professional footballer without a club this summer he has a chance to get 1st team starts with a club that can challenge for some silverware domestically at least.

So, in the wise words of Marie Antoinette "let him eat saksuka".

This. It's not like he has 3 years left on his contract! If he has no other offers on the table then why not? I would admit though that I'm in the forgive Alan Smith camp as I thought he had the clubs best interest at heart!

Klich has tested positive while on international duty with Poland.

• Advertisement

Klich has tested positive while on international duty with Poland.
    That could be the end of his season in the 1st team.

That could be the end of his season in the 1st team.

Potentially, although apparently he's asymptomatic for now

Anyone else got a view ?

Kewell unforgiveable. That coupled with the way he forced the move to liverpool has him as worse than Smith in my eyes. He was the only player I ever had on a back of a jersey.

Nothing wrong with Alioski tbh

Though the fact itis coming close to the 21st annniversary doesnt help either

I'd prefer Alioski didn't go there, but he has to look after his own future. I presume the club have told him that his chances will be limited next season, so he goes with my best wishes. I still think he'd be a better backup left winger to Harrison than Poveda and Costa.

We better be getting a LB so

• Advertisement

adaminho wrote: »
    This. It's not like he has 3 years left on his contract! If he has no other offers on the table then why not? I would admit though that I'm in the forgive Alan Smith camp as I thought he had the clubs best interest at heart!

Enough time has passed to entirely forget that. Though I'd really hate to see Raphinha go there of all places. And maybe I'm being naive but I don't expect him to leave this Summer.

adaminho wrote: »

Yeah I've forgiven Smith. Kewell can p!ss off though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Enough time has passed to entirely forget that. Though I'd really hate to see Raphinha go there of all places. And maybe I'm being naive but I don't expect him to leave this Summer.

Hopefully not, I think it would suit both him and Leeds to stay another season at least, if he keeps on going the way he is going then I don’t see any reason he wouldn’t get interest off the big clubs in Europe $$$$

Not this year. There isnt going to be loads of money this year with he impact of COVID still. But if he has the same form next year and ends up goin to the World Cup next year, that could be it. We should offer him a new contract in the summer at least to reflect his performances so that we will get it back in transfer fee if he were to go

We aren't going to keep anyone interested in him playing at LB. He looks really poor there recently. I can't blame him, though, its not his natural position.

Klich has tested positive for COVID. He is ruled out of the Hungary and Andorra games.

Klich has tested positive for COVID. He is ruled out of the Hungary and Andorra games.

No harm for him to have 2/3 weeks rest, particularly if Covid doesn't have a great effect on him. For us also it fits in well with the international break.

No harm for him to have 2/3 weeks rest, particularly if Covid doesn't have a great effect on him. For us also it fits in well with the international break.

To be honest, he looked jaded for the last few months. He needs a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I thought his second test came back negative.

I thought his second test came back negative.

Defo read that somewhere too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement