Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Anyone hear Kinnear on the Phil Hay Show saying that we'd yet to see half of what Rodrigo was capable of so far this season ?

If we get more finishes like those two on Saturday we'll be more than happy. Two sensationally worked goals against a normally stingy defence.

Harrison was immense, apart from his goal and two assists,he sent in two more delicious crosses. Don't know how Pat didn't get something on the one in the first half and Tarkowski had to intercept the one in the second half just ahead of Rodrigo right behind him.

It's starting to fall into shape for next season now although picking the team and keeping everyone happy won't be easy,particularly if we bring in the expected reinforcements.

Wonder will there be a rethink and an attempt to play Koch at 4 and Kalvin at 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Wonder will there be a rethink and an attempt to play Koch at 4 and Kalvin at 8.
    Do you think Kalvin has the pace to play 8? I'm not convinced tbh. He reads the game so well at 4 that he doesn't get caught out but I'm not sure he can play the 8 role quite as well.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Do you think Kalvin has the pace to play 8? I'm not convinced tbh. He reads the game so well at 4 that he doesn't get caught out but I'm not sure he can play the 8 role quite as well.

Don't disagree but wondering where that leaves Koch. Hardly be happy with playing back up to Kalvin all season as I think he will struggle to displace any of the centre backs as they are at the moment.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

8 is more or less where Kalvin started at and it's fair to say it didn't suit him. 4 is his natural position, and moving our most gifted player from his best position to fit someone else in could seriously unsettle the player and unbalance the team. While Struijk has done really well alongside Llorente, he's the one I would expect to be moved to make space for Koch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Zaph wrote: »
    8 is more or less where Kalvin started at and it's fair to say it didn't suit him. 4 is his natural position, and moving our most gifted player from his best position to fit someone else in could seriously unsettle the player and unbalance the team. While Struijk has done really well alongside Llorente, he's the one I would expect to be moved to make space for Koch.

And Kalvin to take over the captaincy? Makes sense if Cooper is fourth choice CB as seems to be the way it's heading. Tough for Liam as I can't see him changing position and he may not great a great amount of PL game time next season if we don't have injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Also wondering how much is it goin to cost to sign Harrison permanently. Thats going to be a good bit of our budget this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

event wrote: »
    Also wondering how much is it goin to cost to sign Harrison permanently. Thats going to be a good bit of our budget this summer

Already set at 11m.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    And Kalvin to take over the captaincy?

I think that will go to Ayling. He's currently vice-captain, and his place in the team is secure, so I don't see much need to change there, especially as he's a real leader on the pitch.

I think that will go to Ayling. He's currently vice-captain, and his place in the team is secure, so I don't see much need to change there, especially as he's a real leader on the pitch.

I'd be happy with him as captain but Phillips is effectively the leader and playmaker so I'd expect Ayling to be by-passed. Giving him the captaincy also helps retain him when others come sniffing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭newhouse87

I dont think aylings place is assured as some think, done ok this season but would like to see competition brought in for him.

Mention of Harrison made me think about what players we have who've gone out on loan and whether any of them are likely to feature for Leeds in the next season or two.

Contract ends
    Barry Douglas Blackburn Rovers 30/06/2021
    Bryce Hosannah Bradford City ?
    Alfie McCalmont Oldham Athletic 30/06/2024
    Robbie Gotts Salford City 30/06/2022
    Mateusz Bogusz Logroñés 30/06/2023
    Jordan Stevens Bradford City 30/06/2022
    Matthew Turner Haverfordwest County ?
    Laurens De Bock SV Zulte Waregem 30/06/2022
    Eunan O'Kane Luton Town 30/06/2021
    Ryan Edmondson Northampton Town ?
    Rafa Mújica Las Palmas 30/06/2022
    Kun Temenuzhkov Real Unión ?

Douglas and O'Kane will definitely be released at the end of the season, as I guess will the guys that I couldn't see contract end dates for. None of them have featured hugely for the clubs they're at apart from Edmondson, but for a centre forward his scoring record is abysmal.

Of the rest, De Bock has played almost 90% of possible games for his club, and they have an option to buy, so I guess there's a good chance they might. I saw mention that Legia Warsaw want to take Bogusz on loan next season, so I suppose that's a possibility. I can't imagine Stevens won't be on loan somewhere next season.

That leaves Gotts and McCalmont. Both have had really good seasons on loan, but they're both now 21, which is probably too old to throw them back into the U23s with a full season of first team football under their belts, albeit in League Two. I think they've been overtaken by the current U23s and I could see both being sold, or maybe McCalmont on loan to a Championship club next season if one was interested.

newhouse87 wrote: »
    I dont think aylings place is assured as some think, done ok this season but would like to see competition brought in for him.

Right back isn't a priority position to fill this summer, so I'm not expecting any signings there. Dallas is the obvious replacement, and if we did sign someone like Rodrigo de Paul, who I've seen being mentioned again in the press, then Dallas could move to RB.

De Bock - be glad to see him off the books, God but he was bad for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Right back isn't a priority position to fill this summer, so I'm not expecting any signings there. Dallas is the obvious replacement, and if we did sign someone like Rodrigo de Paul, who I've seen being mentioned again in the press, then Dallas could move to RB.

Yeah i agree not priority but ayling makes me uncomfortable at the back as does struijk who like cooper seems to have an error in him every game. Happy out with llorente koch as our cb pair though.

adaminho wrote: »
    Already set at 11m.

I saw this before but thought it was for last year. Then we took him on loan again so not sure if it changed. But look, even if its that its a bargain but its 11m that has to be accounted for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Looks like Rodrigo is off for the summer too based on his IG

Just watched Saturday's goals again.

The weight and timing of Harrison's two passes and the angle and timing of Rodrigo's runs are just sensational.

As you were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I saw this before but thought it was for last year. Then we took him on loan again so not sure if it changed. But look, even if its that its a bargain but its 11m that has to be accounted for.

We had the option to make him permanent for £8M last year, but renegotiated another year on loan and the price to make permanent was increased to £10M

I'm sure we'll be exercising the option this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Think Harrison would have cost £8m last summer and by pushing it a year the new agreed fee went up to £11m. A steal in fairness.

Angus Kinnear said about Rodrigo de Paul that if it wasn't for the Square Ball podcast constantly going on about the transfer then he probably wouldn't have heard of De Paul. Not a likely transfer so given that he said they've already discussed who they'll be after this year. Said there are a few obvious positions for strengthening and we shouldn't be too surprised by the transfer business over the summer.

Ayling has the most metres in Europe for ball carries this season. A stat Angus Kinnear said they'd discussed at board level (and also Ayling keeps reminding everyone!). Just ahead of Messi. Don't think he's being replaced any time soon. Give Drameh a couple of years to grow into a replacement I think has to be the plan.

If we don't go for the French lad I'd love to see Charlie Taylor back at LB. I know it'd been mentioned here before but he looked very good even in defeat for Burnley.

Yeah Phil Hay said before that the club are surprised at all the talk of De Paul, club aren't really interested.

Yeah I mentioned Taylor before, would like him. But he's 28 in the summer which is a bit old tbh. And some sections of the fans won't be happy to see him back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Rumour that Roberts has rejected a new long term contract, and also one about Newcastle sniffing around. He's been better of late but still a way to go to be a finished product.

Yeah I mentioned Taylor before, would like him. But he's 28 in the summer which is a bit old tbh. And some sections of the fans won't be happy to see him back

Yeah, it was mentioned in the commentary on Saturday that he left on bad terms, but I can't remember the details myself. Anyone know what the story is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Yeah, it was mentioned in the commentary on Saturday that he left on bad terms, but I can't remember the details myself. Anyone know what the story is?

He refused to play the last game of the season because he was in talks with WBA and Burnley... Money hungry little runt, I hope we never go in for him

is_that_so wrote: »
    Rumour that Roberts has rejected a new long term contract, and also one about Newcastle sniffing around. He's been better of late but still a way to go to be a finished product.

I would be amazed if there is any truth in that rumour TBH, probably just lazy journalism filling columns. I mean only a complete idiot would think that would be a progressive move!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I would be amazed if there is any truth in that rumour TBH, probably just lazy journalism filling columns. I mean only a complete idiot would think that would be a progressive move!
    One can never tell what's in the mind of a simple footballer!

He refused to play the last game of the season because he was in talks with WBA and Burnley... Money hungry little runt, I hope we never go in for him

Ah yes, I remember that now. That any player would refuse to play for the club they're contracted to because of a possible transfer is reprehensible. I agree, don't want him back.

Think Harrison would have cost £8m last summer and by pushing it a year the new agreed fee went up to £11m. A steal in fairness.

Angus Kinnear said about Rodrigo de Paul that if it wasn't for the Square Ball podcast constantly going on about the transfer then he probably wouldn't have heard of De Paul. Not a likely transfer so given that he said they've already discussed who they'll be after this year. Said there are a few obvious positions for strengthening and we shouldn't be too surprised by the transfer business over the summer.

Ayling has the most metres in Europe for ball carries this season. A stat Angus Kinnear said they'd discussed at board level (and also Ayling keeps reminding everyone!). Just ahead of Messi. Don't think he's being replaced any time soon. Give Drameh a couple of years to grow into a replacement I think has to be the plan.

If we don't go for the French lad I'd love to see Charlie Taylor back at LB. I know it'd been mentioned here before but he looked very good even in defeat for Burnley.

I'll second that. Thought he was very good in the first game also.

Ah yes, I remember that now. That any player would refuse to play for the club they're contracted to because of a possible transfer is reprehensible. I agree, don't want him back.

To be fair who knows the full truth? Had Monk and others given him hassle over not re-signing for Leeds and problems not of his making? I'm only guessing but I'd not hold that against a 23 year old who may have been badly advised. He's got another 4/5 seasons in him. I'd have him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Looks like Rodrigo is off for the summer too based on his IG

I'd say that's the team flying to Southampton surely

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    To be fair who knows the full truth? Had Monk and others given him hassle over not re-signing for Leeds and problems not of his making? I'm only guessing but I'd not hold that against a 23 year old who may have been badly advised. He's got another 4/5 seasons in him. I'd have him back.
    As effectively a selling club, like all in the lower divisions, it's never going to be easy to hang onto players with their sights set higher. Only last season a current key player was looking at moving to the 11th placed PL team! Taylor had been at the club for 14 years anyway so didn't really owe anyone anything plus he added £6-£7m to the coffers.

• Advertisement

Charlie Taylor from Feb 2020. Personally, I'd forgive and forget:
    The Sunday Mirror reports that he told Massimo Cellino that he would not sign a new contract, and Garry Monk accused him of refusing to play in what would have been his final game for the club before his deal expired.

The left-back – who has now made over 60 Premier League appearances – insisted that he has no regrets over choosing to join Burnley, but admitted to being disappointed with how events played out on his way out of Leeds.

“I loved my time there, but the way it ended was the biggest regret of my career and, if I could go back and change it, I would,” he told the Sunday Mirror.

“I don’t have any regrets about signing for Burnley because I think I was proved right in the way things have worked out for me.

“But I am still a Leeds fan and I’d love to go back there next season to play them in the Premier League, I really would.”

Cellino or Monk judging someone for lack of loyalty or for being a money-grabber would be the ultimate pot/kettle situation!!

Yeah I wouldnt believe a word out of Cellino or Monk tbh. He was probably told by an agent that if you get injured you wont get your move to Burnley so he panicked. The game meant nothing in the end

And looking at the time lines, the game was on the 7th May and Monk said this afterwards "I'm hugely disappointed with Charlie. I think he's been terribly advised all season."

16 days later Cellino was gone and 2 days later Monk walked out on us to join Boro. What a cretin he was

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Charlie Taylor from Feb 2020. Personally, I'd forgive and forget:

Cellino or Monk judging someone for lack of loyalty or for being a money-grabber would be the ultimate pot/kettle situation!!

If he p!ssed of Cellino, get him back and give him big bonus.....:)

Matheus Cunha from Hertha Berlin linked with us, Atalanta, Napoli and Monaco by Sky Sports. He liked a tweet saying he was on the market and linked with these clubs. Looks a savage prospect. Right footed Brazilian attacker on wing or central. £25m approx. I know YouTube can make anyone look good but by God this is some highlight reel....

https://twitter.com/Bundesliga_EN/status/1334926508171943936?s=20

Matheus Cunha from Hertha Berlin linked with us, Atalanta, Napoli and Monaco by Sky Sports. He liked a tweet saying he was on the market and linked with these clubs. Looks a savage prospect. Right footed Brazilian attacker on wing or central. £25m approx. I know YouTube can make anyone look good but by God this is some highlight reel....

Superb. And having two Brazilians at the club may pave the way for him, particularly if they do a little enticement work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Why did Leipzig sell him, I wonder? Only 21, on his 3rd club.....

2017–2018 Sion 29 (10)
    2018–2020 RB Leipzig 35 (2)
    2020– Hertha BSC 37 (12)

2 in 35 for Leipzig. That's that answered. 1 in 3 for Hertha is good, though.

Jaysus that last goal! :eek:

Nice to see Dom looking and sounding so well and so positive.

https://twitter.com/Dominicmatteo21/status/1394581795795001349?s=20

So how do we see tonight? Southampton have come in to a bit of form it looks like, won their last 2. And its their game in front of their fans. I still think we will have too much for them, wonder will we see any changes? Rodrigo will probably come in for Klich

• Advertisement

Cooper and Rodrigo in.

But Casilla as well. Thats an absolute disgrace. One of the only black marks against MB imo

3-1 to us. Raphinha to have a big game. Cooper is in for Struijk. Harsh call but Bielsa knows best.

Didn't even look at full team............Kiko is in for Meslier!!!! WTF!!! 4-2 loss predicted now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

My only guess is we are giving him a bit of air time in the hope he puts in a decent performance and someone gives us a million quid for him in the summer. Pure sunk cost player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Well that's disappointing, sounds like he'll play on Sunday too

https://twitter.com/apopey/status/1394691495232512001?s=19

What's this bullsh*t on Sky, it's all about Man U. Where's the Leeds match?

• Advertisement

What's this bullsh*t on Sky, it's all about Man U. Where's the Leeds match?

Thought my SkyGo app was playing up. No idea. Hopefully just saving on commentary costs and it’ll change venue at 6.

Well that's disappointing, sounds like he'll play on Sunday too

https://twitter.com/apopey/status/1394691495232512001?s=19

Would rather he played Berardi in goal.

Thought my SkyGo app was playing up. No idea. Hopefully just saving on commentary costs and it’ll change venue at 6.

Seems to be ok now

And the bad boy makes a good save!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Dallas could do a job no doubt

• Advertisement
Advertisement