Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Are you judging Gray a bit harshly? He is 18 now and has played 14 games in midfield. Not many midfielders every come through at 17 and dominate midfield. It doesnt happen. I think we have over hyped him tbh, same as all the young players we have (Joffy, Cresswell, Perkins, Joseph, Drameh, Greenwood). He is progressing fine for me. I see him as becoming a Declan Rice style player. Wont be doing major damage to teams with assists and goals, wont be a destroyer. But he will be a link man in midfield who progresses the ball.

Jesus is WACCOE still going? Assumed it was gone years ago. It was full of absolute idiots about 10 years ago so can't imagine its any different now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Of the three coming down, only Burnley will have a chance of going straight back up again, IMO. I think the highs of this season will affect Luton next, when its "back" to the usual opponents, and maybe teams will enjoy putting them "back in their box". Sheff Utd look well broken at this stage. Dunno if Wilder will stay or go, but, bar Brereton Diaz and McAtee (both loan signings), they have looked extremely ordinary.

Re the play-offs: here are the finishing positions and number of promoted teams (since 1988)

3rd place - 14 (last 2023 Luton), 4th place - 8 (Forest 2022), 5th place - 9 (Villa 2019), 6th place - 5 (Blackpool 2010)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Probably, but we need to have a player that can play there. You can see the ability will be there, but whether it's a bit early for him, I don't know. We do seem to get overrun more through the midfield when he plays there.

I think a lot of our problems stemmed from Struijk being injured. I think good as Ampadu was in defence, he is better in midfield, Gruev really grew into his role, and I think Kamara is back up to Ampadu. Its a pity injuries and illlness seemed to affect Kamara and Gruev at just the wrong times. Same with Roberts, just when we needed him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The EFL will close the loophole in the close season for PSR anyway. Depends on what the relegated clubs need to move out to stay within PSR. Forest's spending will surely catch up. Sheff U will probably be ready for another attempt with a different manager. If Luton hold the squad together they may be a tough proposition.

Yeah the Roberts signing wasnt great at all in the end. I know he got a goal or two but didnt play enough games. And yes, we are missing Struijk big time.

I wonder if Ampadu and Gruev will gel well in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Why are we assuming failure at the play-offs. Our record is appalling but under different managers at different times. Farke knows how to get teams up and the opposition ain’t in good form nor that impressive when firing on all cylinders. We’ll almost certainly make the final and then let’s see.

I don’t want to think anbout the dissolution of this very capable team until there’s no other option.

Burnley the one to watch for me. I think Sheffield wont do much and Luton will challenge but Burnleys owners know what they are at, plus they kept faith with Kompany

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Delighted for him, fair play.

Dan James out as expected, Roberts doubtful, as is Bamford. No harm to get some rest in, try Joseph up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Just a reminder if anyone does hear of a single ticket for Southampton game going I'll be in Leeds was supposed to have a ticket but was let down! I'll pay a reasonable price and sit with anyone, buy them pints all afternoon whatever it takes! I'm a Leeds fan obvs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

I knew the minute I saw your handle, well, er, hang on!!

I know :D I'm also a pats fan but it hasn't helped in this particular quest!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Been checking exchange all week for a mate. Nothing coming up at all.

I'm going to go up the ground on the morning and mooch and scrounge and beg.... All I have left to do!

For some reason I thought the games were on Sunday. So weekend ruined a day earlier

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm not even going to watch, I'm heading out to do something else. I've accepted that we're in the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Gonna keep eye on ipswich score until they go 1nil up, wont bother with our game, picking stones from recently removed ditch seems more fun.

Same here. In-laws over and lots of entertaining of kids to do. I couldn’t cope watching if we went ahead and Ipswich went behind. The agony would just be prolonged, and worsened.

• Advertisement

Probably until 12:32pm then! Huddersfield players will be anxious to get to the pub or golf course early.

And when your manager makes such glowing comments before the game, why would you bother

"I decided to sign for Huddersfield, but when I have known about all the things and problems in the team, maybe I would have decided in another way," said Breitenreiter.

Going with zero hope to be honest. No way Ipswich don't beat Huddersfield well. They will score as they always do and there's no way Huddersfield score two.

I detest the Play Offs and have been saying all along that I won't go. However, I do want to be there for Cooper's last game so we may have to revisit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Granite Head

Interested to find out how you get on. Have flights for tomorrow but no match ticket. Tried members, ballot, exchange and "usually" good contacts - not a sniff of a ticket. At this stage I don't think I will travel.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, Godspeed You, Black Emperor, Melts,The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Elaine Mai, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

So much fawning over Ipswich by Sky at the moment.

As Kevin Keegan once said....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It's always the hope……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Going to the playoffs with a whimper.

In truth it was all over when Blackburn and QPR gave them a good spanking.

Also in truth, I don't see Leeds beating anybody in the playoffs when they are in this form.

Anyway I don't see us doing anything in the Prem if we win the playoffs with the financial constraints that will be on us next season.

This ref is a disgrace tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

Glad we didn't just need a point here today

Wasn't it against Derby that we dealt them Home and Away during spygate, and they had the last laugh in the playoffs ? We'd hope for that against the Saints - provided we get past the Baggies

It hasn't been mentioned much. But Rodon has absolutely dropped off a cliff recently. Passing isn't like it was, he's slower to close people down and missing simple tackles at times

Provided we get past Norwich you mean. We're really struggling to create chances of late but this game is a non event tbh.

We really need James and Bamford back.

Comhghairdeas to Ipswich, deserved promotion for defying the odds. Given the way the PL went this year you would fear for them or any team without significant funding. The way our season went you might think the same for us.

I think the Wales defeat really affected our Welsh contingent, combined with a few other dropping performances. Need to play ourselves in to a bit of form in these next two games, will be very tough.

• Advertisement

Yep, can’t begrudge their success this year. Given their funds they have no real competition for the team and manager of the season. I just hope they’ve enough to survive in the EPL next year.

So two immediate cup finals. Glader to have Canaries over Baggies.

Who knows what the Baggies could do to the Saints 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

I watched the Blues match earlier today and it was an appalling and borderline disgraceful performance by Norwich if that’s what they offer you’ll beat them comfortably. Unfortunately they’ll probably raise their game but all things being equal based on the season it should be you and Southampton in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

50/50 on playoffs, definitely think we are the best team there but Southampton will give anyone a run for the money. I would be shocked if we lose to Norwich over 2 games but I also would be not one bit shocked….feel like the team just needs to snap out of whatever they are in now, lost a bit of confidence and got worn out towards the end of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Ye know what, I let frustration and disappointment cloud my judgment. It was so close but was the club as a whole ready for premiership? Probably not.

Automatic promotion was always going to be a massive unprecedented bonus and lets face it, it would have been a very rough season in the prem next year. Definitely would have no where near the wins we had this season or the performances. Away to established teams that control a game, 37% possession chasing shadows for 90 minutes, dreading every set piece because of the expectation of conceding.

I am happy.... I am a happy person....

• Advertisement

That's what I was alluding to yesterday as well. Ipswich will struggle next season and if we go up (despite our last month we're probably still favourites) I think we will really struggle as well. The PL really isn't an enjoyable place for teams who don't have major backing. Of course given a choice I'm sure we'll all take that place but I don't actually mind another season in the championship, or at least that's what I'm telling myself!

As an aside did anyone else see the reaction of Cree after Piroe scored yesterday? Hopefully it's not a sign of an issue in the camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Only saw it when someone pointed it out on twitter. Body language looked really bad.

The chants to SHOOT yesterday were interesting.

In the earlier part of the season, players appeared selfish to go it alone for goal. Now we almost want to walk it in, passing right into someone in the 6 yard box.

The only potential disappointment of not going up for me is the loss of the few players - the ones who have made the difference.

But yet, there will be others to replace them - the next unknown to become the next saviour

Our wingers and midfield shoud be pounding the box with the ball, and instead they choose to pass it back, allowing the opposing defence to regroup.

Lads, be under no illusion. If we somehow get past Norwich in the Semi Final and meet Southampton in the final, based on what I saw on Saturday,I think they'll hammer us.

We've no one who could keep up with Smallbone. Downes and himself ran the game from start to finish. Smallbone scored one,could have had another and between them they dictated the proceedings all day.

We've no attacking plan, if Rutter can't beat the first four defenders,or Jimmy can't cut in past three and get a shot away we've nothing. Our goal was the result of a very poor defensive clearance. We can't get the first contact on any corners,we go back and across all the time hoping to get either Summerville or Gnonto one on one with a defender, which in fairness we managed a few times in the second half, but to no avail. Our midfield gives nothing in an attaching sense so we're relying on the much lauded front four who have now just hit the wall.

On a slightly positive note, we were more aggressive in the tackle,the ref can't possibly be as bad again, see the blatant jersey pull that he didn't punish with a card,or the three tackles from Manning that all should have been second yellows.

On an even more positive note, the reception that the players got from the half empty stadium as they walked around after the game was incredible. If that can't inspire them,nothing will.

Looking forward to going back to Derby and down to Portsmouth next season.

Its why I think its essential we get Bamford and James back for the play off final. Bamford allows us to play a lot higher, he properly stretches the opposition defence.

If we cant beat Norwich over 2 legs, its pretty poor

Oh, and if we do somehow make it to Wembley, won't be much fun trying to get home on the Sunday night.

FA Cup Final and the Heino Cup finals both on the Saturday. Flights out on Sunday night are either sold out or an exorbitant price.

Good job I swore I wouldn't go to any of the Play Offs *

*to be reviewed.

The last Derby County playoff was a $hitshow. When Bamford gets slapped by an invisible man, you know it's not going to end well.

At least Sky get their moneys worth when Leeds are in the playoffs.

No Bamford for the semi finals (both legs) and James is unlikely to start. Not quite sure how Paddy's latest injury went undiagnosed until now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That's a big loss, especially of Farke insists on starting Piroe instead of Joseph.

• Advertisement
Advertisement