Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Transfers is the biggest results because of promotion or failed promotion. Fail and you likely lose the players who contributed most to getting you to the brink. You can see how a team was be on the brink of promotion to the PL one season and demotion to L1 the next.

But nobody could call Sunday. It's potentially so tight. The ultimate lottery. Who blinks first. While the first goal is pretty important, the second is possibly the most critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Whether Prem or C'Ship also defines who you play in pre-season friendlies

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭somespud

Five years ago Villa were promoted via the play off final look where they are now, they had a rocky few seasons after going up but hung in(got the right manager in the end). No reason Leeds can't have the same ambition, hopefully Farke and this team can deliver the first step on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Gnonto misses out on the Italian squad.

Post edited by adaminho on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Pals bumped into Will Ferrell in Neachtain’s earlier this evening. He’s here en route to Wembley. Hope he brings us some luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A drum-off will clarify that. But no, it’s Will, he was in Dublin on Wed also. Hope he’s a good luck charm and let him give the team-talk on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Gnonto not in the Italy squad isn’t a big surprise, he had a slow start but did very well overall in my opinion despite not being a lock down starter, oh the main thing, it’s championship, always going to be uphill for him. He probably got in the Italian squad too early, maybe if he stayed in prem, he might of kept on developing but I think he will have a hard time getting into the Italian squad in the future, definitely players ahead of him and more are coming up

Think Iam going to the city at 7am with an American buddy that has no idea what he is getting into 😂😂😂 Now to decide what jersey, might go old school with Thistle

I got two more yanks to come with me, one is going to wear his united jersey 😂😂😂😂, I warned him that it’s going to be 100 Leeds fans going crazy and if we lose then you are an easy target……

Ok, 5 hrs sleep, let’s go !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Best of luck to anyone fortunate enough to go today. Hard to know if the best policy is to seize the day and go for it, or to approach it more conservatively but I trust Farke to have them ready and well prepared.

MOT

Any radio stations that'll have commentary, but is available in Ireland? Or is the tune in app best bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Hopefully the non "bottle-jobbery" version of Leeds will turn up today.

Guev, come-on, you can pass better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Strong enough team to put in a performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Neewollah

Horrific defending

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Defending? Where?

Where was our defence?

Crap.

Our defence has always been our downfall going back to Bielsa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Had more or less checked out after blackburn.This is odd game, no intensity. Our lads trying to do it single handedly, dribbling into saints players and dead ends.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Southampton a bogey team for us. We need the whistle here

• Advertisement

our midfield is horrendous. Dare i say it, we really are missing bamford. Piroe is a lazy git.

Where has our defence gone for the last 10 games?

A long ball over the top and any team can pick us off.

Our defence is still Championship quality.

this is frustrating, need to make some serious changes now, it’s just not working !

Have to bold now - James for Piroe. Make it work

Have we no one better to cross a ball that Jimmy Summerville. Don't think I've seen him take a good set pice all year

Oh to have Pablo again! So much possession in the second half yet still haven't tested the keeper. Need someone with a calm head and a bit of vision. Georginio makes the wrong choice too often.

Farke is going to have to take a risk soon with one of the subs that he hasn't trusted up to now. We have to be brave.

And just as I type that, Roberts and Anthony introduced for Cree and Kamara. I was hoping for Joseph, obviously Farke thinks Piroe still has something to offer here.

Saints are better then us, much better, deserve to go up. Summerville, rutter etc have been beyond terrible.

We would have been the Prem League whipping boys anyway with that team.

Leeds decline since topping the table has to be the biggest "bottle job" since Sheffield United did it 13 years ago.

See you on August 11th.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt say Southampton are the better team. Would say their players are better able for tough situations our lads haven't raised a gallop today. Very disappointing

We would have competed in the PL every bit as well as Southampton or Ipswich, no question about that.

However we didn't perform today. Once again our much vaunted front four disappointed. Why did James not start? He once again did more in twenty minutes than others in the full game. Gutted for all those fans who made the trip and supported the team so well all season.

Premier league is overrated anyway

Lot of years mediocrity ahead giving some of our better lads will be sold. Might not get this chance for long time again. We didn't look like we were fighting for our live at all, leaderless really.

Like we did against Southampton*3, Coventry, QPR, Sunderland and Watford?

Bottom line is our defence is flaky, and attacking wise, we find it very hard to break down any low block.

Any ball over the top is easy pickings against our defence.

If Rutter could shoot, he would be dangerous. Lightweight player.

Southampton are better than us. Much better.

too predictable, out wide always, no thorough balls. Can guarantee what our wingers will do each time. Anyway, thats me done until august.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Too ponderous and predictable. Rodon & Ampadu had poor games, which is rare for them. Piroe is a lazy fecker. Fair result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

James created the best chances.

Thought the ref was s**t by the way. Downes committed 7 fouls and got one yellow. They played on, or over the edge, and he let them go. stupid stuff like punishing our foul throw but letting them take as long as they wanted with theirs. He blew the whistle on them loads of times, but just let it go.

Too many players though had a really bad day. Gray was as bad as I've ever seen him. I would have hauled him, not Gnonto. Gruev was anonymous. Needed the subs earlier. You will rarely see a winning side have to create so little to win a match. Armstrong MOTM for me, a class above everyone else.

No clue what the squad will look like in the first week of August.

This is the big thing. Gnonto, Rutter, Summerville ain't going to hang around, maybe Meslier, Rodon likely gone obviously unless buy him. Let alone the litany of crap returning from loans.

Cree will definitely be gone, Anthony will return . Rodon may return although I hope we can keep him. Gnonto may leave. Coops will leave.

After that it's down to who Farke wants to keep or sell.

We'll all have different views on it but for me we really need someone to provide a threat from midfield. One goal from midfield all year and as many said our attack was all about getting it wide to Cree or Gnonto or James. So a good attacking midfielder and striker please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Sammie Szmodics was that goalscoring player this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Never underestimate a Leeds fan tendency to throw the baby out with the bath water.

According to half ye we need to get rid of half the team.

Actual clowns.

Well financially they will, its not really wanting them to go. Nobody has suggested players who are a bit unlikely to go, only the names that will get funds in.

Not sure if you're aiming that at me but I think it's clear I was expressing what I think will happen, not what I want to happen!

Just to repeat what I said:

"Cree will definitely be gone". There will definitely be offers for him and he's definitely going to want to leave. I don't know anyone who disputes that.

"Anthony will return". I can't see him wanting to extend his loan or make it permanent after how little he featured this season.

"Rodon may return although I hope we can keep him. Gnonto may leave. Coops will leave." I hardly think this warrants criticism!

I have seen that game 12 times this season. Ball over the top and suddenly there is a striker 1:1 on Meslier.

Southamptons goal was a walk into the net.

How come we never get goals like that but always concede them?

We have to try and pass it between players into the net whenever we try to score. We rarely shoot, or if we do, it ends up in the stand (Gray), or a feeble shot into the keepers hands( Gnonto)

It's all this passing back and sideways giving the opposition time to regroup their defence. Nobody tries the brave early ball either because they don't trust the striker or there is literally nobody to pass it to.

…. Or they do it, but the pass is $hit.

Rutter has been in a striking position dozens of times this season. Scored twice.

The last one was against Norwich, where he did everything he could to miss but it went in off the crossbar anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭xlogo

He should have brought on Piroe 😁

well, I’ve been out for maybe 16hrs. Iam absolutely wrecked, ended up at a Brazilian carnival at some point, so it eased the pain 🤦‍♂️

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That really was a feeble effort yesterday. Nobody bar Dan James showed up. Farke's tactics can be infuriating at times, everything is slow and deliberate. It works a lot of the time but when it doesn't he seems incapable of changing it. How Piroe stayed on the pitch for so long yesterday was an absolute mystery to me. He has been a huge disappointment and needs to be replaced or used purely as a squad player.

Who knows what will happen to the squad now, we'll undoubtedly lose quite a few players although some of that will be due to the need to sell players for P & S reasons.

The only silver lining I can think of is that Farke should now have the time to put together a squad of players to properly suit the style of play he wants to use. We need a proper number 10 for starters, a new number 9 and a rethink of our midfield. He didn't get the time last summer to put a proper squad together as everything was so rushed.

Next season is our big opportunity to go back up, we need to be aiming for top 2. The three teams coming down from the Premier League, with the possible exception of Burnley, will be nowhere near as strong as Southampton and Leicester this season. If we don't go up next season we could be in trouble.

Seems to be a continuous cycle of bad choices and bottle jobbery since 2019.

Hopefully the 49'ers will draw a line in the sand, sign players with a bit of a backbone and get rid of the feeble minded players who's feet turn to jelly on the big occasion.

Villa, Brighton, Fulham and Bournemouth did it. Why can't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Genuinely never been so disappointed in a performance. It was all there for us yesterday. Southampton knew how we were going to play, set up to counter it and had a much handier afternoon than they could have dreamt of.

I'm really at a loss why we didn't make the changes earlier. We're 1-0 down at half time. Not looking like getting a shot on target, let alone scoring, you've nothing to lose, why not just go for it ? Get the crowd invested and go for it. Worst that can happen is that you lose 2 or 3 nil instead of 1. Would have preferred that than to meekly capitulate like we did.

When Joseph arrived, it gave us the option to play the ball in behind them, he made one great cut back, but there was no one there. That change needed to happen much earlier.

Did say before hand that I thought they would beat us, did also say that I don't really mind what league we are in but I really wanted us to win that game yesterday. To see their fans celebrating at the end, waving their little red flags was soul destroying. To see Cooper going around every player with words of consolation was heartbreaking.

On the upside, it was good fun around London yesterday in the lead up to the game.

Some amount of Irish supporters around, there must have been 100 on my flight alone.

I'll get over this and start thinking about next season and who we will have and who we might sign in a couple of weeks. For the moment, I'm just glad it's over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement