Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

98 goals in Leeds games so far (49-49) GD - 0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

Interesting indeed to see who plays instead of Cooper. I think Striujk is more to sticking back unlike Koch and Lloriente who both then to push further forward. So given that the game changer to needing to be stronger defensively, that's why I think that Striujk initially got the nod.

A truely awesome result which was totally deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Not in to statistics, but these are worth looking at
    Saves: Man City 0-6 Leeds
    Goal Kicks: Man City 0-17 Leeds

Probably the most accomplished defensive performance in years

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

championc wrote: »
    Interesting indeed to see who plays instead of Cooper. I think Striujk is more to sticking back unlike Koch and Lloriente who both then to push further forward. So given that the game changer to needing to be stronger defensively, that's why I think that Striujk initially got the nod.

A truely awesome result which was totally deserved.

I think it’s Koch and Llorente going forward most likely from next season. Koch is still coming back from a bad injury. I’m sure he would have come on rather than Struijk if the red card was later in the game but he’s probably on a bit of a minutes restriction at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

whiterebel wrote: »
    Every time i write Alioski off, he comes back like he did today. He had a really daunting task today, and i thought he did really, really well. Great ball at the end for Dallas. I thought Costa did ok today, got a few tackles, nicked a few balls and played some good passes. Raphinha's delivery poor today from set pieces; i didn’t think he was at it today, his one on one near the end was poor. Every game now he goes down like he has been sawed to death for relatively minor stuff. Refs will be watching out for him if he keeps it up. Dallas, Llorente, KP immense. Good tackles and interceptions by Ayling, confident display by Meslier. Well dome to Struijk too. Fantastic performance all around.

Edit. Being a bit harsh on Raph. Thinking back on the first tackle from Sterling probably didn’t help his humour. He probably doesn't feel like he's getting much protection from refs at times. The shocker at the end from Fernandinho wouldn't have helped. Someone said he had aleady been booked? I don't remember the previous one.

I was going to say very harsh on Raph, yeah he wasn't so central to all of our key moments (all 2 of them), but he was targeted to some extent. The two times he stayed down was after Sterling and Fernandinho hatchet jobs.

Fernandinho hadn't been booked prior to the one at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Still buzzing, and it's definitely not just the beers. Another small moment I'm laughing at...2-1 up in injury time, down to 10 men away vs champions elect and they're still attacking and not aiming for the corner (when Fernandinho got booked). Are they insane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ronan.h

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lineker on MOTD..... biggest day for Dallas since who shot JR......classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

45 points, did any of think we'd get that, at the start of the season?

Over the last 5 games, Bielsa has done something to make the side more resilient. That was an awesome defensive display today. Llorente and Philips didn't miss anything. Koch and Struijk were brilliant when they came on too.
    Costa and Roberts have had a good run of form recently which I never expected.
    I feel confident for the next two matches against the Pool and ManU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Appreciating dallas more and more, llorente starting to impress too, him and koch will be next seasons center half pairing. Meslier keeps improving and the more he comes for crosses the better. Only us and Middlesbrough pep has failed to beat in the premier league i think i heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

Winning three in a row, with pretty much the first choice squad and a strong bench too. I think that's been the difference of late. There were games 2 months ago where nearly the whole bench were U23's.

Striujk has been an incredible stand-in. He started the season as an U23 just about knocking on the door but is firmly part of the first team squad. I'm so glad we didn't blow 30m on White

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Helium

IMG-20210410-WA0017.jpg.b44fc44861725d81dd40a237e75e1d53.jpg

:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Its difficult not to get annoyed at the inconsistency.
    Son got a tap on the cheek from McTominay while he was trying to shrug him off earlier and the goal was ruled out, VAR again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah they are two crazy decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Not going to repeat what everyone has already said but just a couple of things.

Can fully appreciate the decision to take Pat off after the sending off. If he stays on and we take off Costa or Roberts we lose pace for the counter. Even if we manage to get the ball up to him,he will be heavily outnumbered,have no support and it will come straight back at us. Also,don't think he's fully recovered from that knock he took at Chelsea,doesn't seem to be pressing as hard as he did earlier in the season.

Strange as it seems,I think Costa proved more of a threat with the way we were forced to play with the 10 men.

What annoyed me most about the sending off was the sequence. Marriner happy to issue a yellow. VAR Ref asks him to have another look, doesn't say its defo a red,just asks him to look again. Easy for him to say,yep I've looked at it and I'm happy there was no intent and it's not a definite red and stick with the yellow. If he had issued red initially,I would have been sort of OK with that too but the fact that he hadn't the balls to stick to his original decision when he was right there,was ridiculous.

I will be sad to see Alioski go if he doesn't sign the contract that has been offered to him. Nothing to do with where he's rumoured to be going just that for all his faults and impetuosity he still brings something to the party that I think is intrinsic to the way we not only play the actual games but how we are as a squad of players.

Finally, I will always remember the Hernandez goal at Swansea as probably the most important we've ever scored in my time as a supporter. I know we've won leagues and cups,were robbed of a European Cup and nearly made the Champions League final etc etc but for the future of the club, the manager,the owners and this squad of players that goal was so,so important.

Stuey's winner on Saturday wasn't far behind that in my view.

Because of the wall to wall TV coverage,the Social Media channels, The Square Ball and other inferior podcasts , Phil at the Athletic, Smyth,Sobot and Urquart at the YEP and Adam Pope at BBC Radio Leeds we're so much closer to what's going on than we would have been in other eras.Maybe this is why I think that in all my time supporting Leeds that this is my favourite group of players and to see us beat that City team with this squad was amazing.

MOT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Think we'll get another year in the Premier League yet, or is it too early to get excited?
    :pac:

EDIT: Funnily enough -this was just published on YEP :
    http://yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/how-leeds-united-could-be-mathematically-safe-on-monday-night-3197299

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I watched Alioski's pass over and over and over. Absolutely belter of a pass with the outside of the boot.

• Advertisement

I watched Alioski's pass over and over and over. Absolutely belter of a pass with the outside of the boot.

Sensational, especially given the shift he'd put in and the pressure we'd been under all game. To have the composure and the energy to play the give and go with Costa and pick out that pass perfectly into Stuey's path.:D:D

Shlippery wrote: »
    Think we'll get another year in the Premier League yet, or is it too early to get excited?
    :pac:

EDIT: Funnily enough -this was just published on YEP :
    http://yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/how-leeds-united-could-be-mathematically-safe-on-monday-night-3197299

Whilst we are already 'safe', nothing is 100% guaranteed when it comes to us. Probably find the head tits at FA deducting us 15 points for daring to bring exciting football to the Premier league and getting peoples hopes up.

Which brings me onto my next point. I have this dread that after a couple of seasons in the Premier league we might get too sterile like rest of them with VAR, over paid and over rated players, and likes taking good out of game.
    I know, like we all know the 'Premiership' is where it's at regarding competitions, big money etc, but I hope we don't miss honesty of a good championship game too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Helium wrote: »
    Which brings me onto my next point. I have this dread that after a couple of seasons in the Premier league we might get too sterile like rest of them with VAR, over paid and over rated players, and likes taking good out of game.
    I know, like we all know the 'Premiership' is where it's at regarding competitions, big money etc, but I hope we don't miss honesty of a good championship game too much.

We've had many, many shocking decisions in that division too. It's just with VAR if you're going to bother forcing it into the game you better make it worthwhile. Having VAR just so they can ignore Baldock's lunge and create different outcomes to similar situations ruins it. It's still human error so why spoil the game with stopping and starting for video checks. I won't miss the stress and madness of the Championship for a long time. There were good/exciting times but so, so many awful times and if we went back anytime soon the **** from opposition fans and park the bus attitude from their teams would be tedious and boring.

As long as Bielsa is here there'll be no big-time Charlies around. We'll worry about that after him.

U23s technically need a point from 3 games for automatic promotion.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

is_that_so wrote: »
    U23s technically need a point from 3 games for automatic promotion.

Their goal difference is 20 better than Stoke's as well, so effectively they're there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I've noticed alot of Leed's jersies popping up around the place. The same one's who fled like rats off a sinking ship years back, who kept up a passing interest, jumping back on the bandwagon

I certainly wouldn’t support Bates or Cellino's regimes by either going to Leeds or buying kit. Happy to do so since Radz took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I've noticed alot of Leed's jersies popping up around the place. The same one's who fled like rats off a sinking ship years back, who kept up a passing interest, jumping back on the bandwagon

I'm happy for the club to take in money from any source, even if some of it will be temporary. Don't underestimate how important visible profile is when trying to recruit top players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Not going to repeat what everyone has already said but just a couple of things.

Can fully appreciate the decision to take Pat off after the sending off. If he stays on and we take off Costa or Roberts we lose pace for the counter. Even if we manage to get the ball up to him,he will be heavily outnumbered,have no support and it will come straight back at us. Also,don't think he's fully recovered from that knock he took at Chelsea,doesn't seem to be pressing as hard as he did earlier in the season.

Strange as it seems,I think Costa proved more of a threat with the way we were forced to play with the 10 men.

What annoyed me most about the sending off was the sequence. Marriner happy to issue a yellow. VAR Ref asks him to have another look, doesn't say its defo a red,just asks him to look again. Easy for him to say,yep I've looked at it and I'm happy there was no intent and it's not a definite red and stick with the yellow. If he had issued red initially,I would have been sort of OK with that too but the fact that he hadn't the balls to stick to his original decision when he was right there,was ridiculous.

I will be sad to see Alioski go if he doesn't sign the contract that has been offered to him. Nothing to do with where he's rumoured to be going just that for all his faults and impetuosity he still brings something to the party that I think is intrinsic to the way we not only play the actual games but how we are as a squad of players.

Finally, I will always remember the Hernandez goal at Swansea as probably the most important we've ever scored in my time as a supporter. I know we've won leagues and cups,were robbed of a European Cup and nearly made the Champions League final etc etc but for the future of the club, the manager,the owners and this squad of players that goal was so,so important.

Stuey's winner on Saturday wasn't far behind that in my view.

Because of the wall to wall TV coverage,the Social Media channels, The Square Ball and other inferior podcasts , Phil at the Athletic, Smyth,Sobot and Urquart at the YEP and Adam Pope at BBC Radio Leeds we're so much closer to what's going on than we would have been in other eras.Maybe this is why I think that in all my time supporting Leeds that this is my favourite group of players and to see us beat that City team with this squad was amazing.

MOT
    Good post Jimmy. On the winner on Saturday, that was my feeling too. This was a statement for the future - we're not in the Premiership simply to survive, we're aiming higher and this result will give the lads great belief in that aim. I know teams can make a big deal immediately after certain results (e.g. Everton beating Liverpool but since then are slipping back down to their usual place in the table) but I do feel that result is something we will use towards next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Yeah, that's going to happen with any big team that's gone through tough times. Hopefully some of them are under 25 as we probably have a tiny support of that age group given that they've never properly seen us in the premier league. Only kids who's parents forced it on them would be Leeds fans. A few more years of Bielsa, Raphina and Roc Nation collaborations and we'll have the streets flooded with Leeds fans. Then we can be the grumpy aul lads talking about trips to Yeovil and watching Steve Morrison!

• Advertisement

I certainly wouldn’t support Bates or Cellino's regimes by either going to Leeds or buying kit. Happy to do so since Radz took over.

I stopped at Cellino tbh. Bates was pretty bad but thought it was a means to an end. Then that end was Cellino :(

----

Any thoughts on summer transfers? Phil Hay said that there is no talk of De Paul (and he doesnt understand why people are constantly on about him). If we could get 3 players in, I'd be pretty happy. A new LB is essential, I wonder would Sessegnon from spurs be an option? I do like Charlie Taylor at Burnley, would do a good job.

We need a midfielder to step in to Kalvins boots when injured/suspended. Who, I dont know. But I see that Forshaw played 60 mins last week and supposedly due to do the same this weekend. Cant rely on him though

I would still like to see us go for Ryan Kent too. I think he'd be attainable.

Im happy with our CB and RB options, our wingers are fine (assuming we get Harrison in permanently) and happy with strikers.

A back up keeper would be good too but thats 4th priority imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I was one of those rats that you mention. I just kind of drfted away in the mid 90s after being a childhood fan since 1970. I always supported Leeds and kept a eye on it all from afar (some grim times), but came back firmly during the Gary Monk era... What a ride since then.

I was one of those rats that you mention. I just kind of drfted away in the mid 90s after being a childhood fan since 1970. I always supported Leeds and kept a eye on it all from afar (some grim times), but came back firmly during the Gary Monk era... What a ride since then.

+1

Some collection of jersies in my wardrobe, Packard Bell,Strongbow,Whyte and McKay, Net Flights, Enterprise Insurance , Top Man, Thistle Hotels etc,etc.

Thankfully never bought the Lion Cabinets version :D

Sign of an extremely tortured existence.

I cleared out my Jersey collection a few years ago and only have the 05/6 Ls Home and the 95/96 home (Yeboah) shorts. Waiting on the 3rd kit to arrive with Raphinha on the back. I think everyone was giving out about it when it was first announced but I think it's grown into a cult classic (results in it helped.)

adaminho wrote: »
    Waiting on the 3rd kit to arrive with Raphinha on the back. I think everyone was giving out about it when it was first announced but I think it's grown into a cult classic (results in it helped.)

A Champions League final win in that shirt wouldn't make me like it, I think it's awful, as is the away kit. I really think Adidas need to up their game to come close to the Kappa kits, particularly the grey and pink one. Although if the leaks of next years third kit prove true, we're in for another shocker.

leeds-united-21-22-third-kit-2.jpg

Personally I'm not a lover of wearing football shirts, this is the only one I've owned as an adult. It was a present, and I think I only ever wore it once.

leeds-united-1992-93-away.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I have two, both very traditional and plain. One is an iconic one already (the early 1970s LUFC one) and the other will I think in time become a classic (the 2015 Kappa one with no sponsor). In my younger days I was a bit madder - the 1992 Keeper and the 93 third kit were my jersey of choice back in the day!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I have two, both very traditional and plain. One is an iconic one already (the early 1970s LUFC one) and the other will I think in time become a classic (the 2015 Kappa one with no sponsor). In my younger days I was a bit madder - the 1992 Keeper and the 93 third kit were my jersey of choice back in the day!

I agree, that 2015 kit will be a classic in years to come. I think it's the sponsor's logo that puts me off more than anything. I like this year's home shirt, but I don't want a big ad across my chest. When I was a kid I had the Admiral kit from around 76/77. Loved that shirt, I always associate it with Tony Currie, who was my favourite player at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I love our 2nd & 3rd kit...

Memories of
    37833299134570_1465813046336.jpg

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I love our 2nd & 3rd kit...

Memories of
    37833299134570_1465813046336.jpg

I loved that shirt, this year's away kit is just too dark for my liking and I don't like the gold trim on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Zaph wrote: »
    I loved that shirt, this year's away kit is just too dark for my liking and I don't like the gold trim on it.

The JD sports Logo on the arm is my only peev

Zaph wrote: »
    I think it's the sponsor's logo that puts me off more than anything. I like this year's home shirt, but I don't want a big ad across my chest.

Can live with the sponsor's logo on the jersey,just wish it wasn't on the training gear too. That navy quarter zip would be magnificent without Clipper splashed across the front.

I've been disappointed with the range of stuff available. Hopefully with a solid foundation in the Prem we get some better gear next season

We won't get any different gear than any other team has with Adidas. Just be in our colours. I have the training top and polo, plus the white 3 stripe tee and casual shorts

event wrote: »
    We won't get any different gear than any other team has with Adidas. Just be in our colours. I have the training top and polo, plus the white 3 stripe tee and casual shorts

Some lovely gear here and not a sponsors logo in sight.

https://shop.fulhamfc.com/training/adult-training/

Sorry I meant design wise. We took the money from the sponsors for it so avoiding it now :(

Looks like Raphinha is out for a while with a thigh injury, Liverpool game for sure, after the scything Fernandinho tackle. Could be up to a month so may be a season ender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Looks like Raphinha is out for a while with a thigh injury, Liverpool game for sure, after the scything Fernandinho tackle. Could be up to a month so may be a season ender.

I am not seeing this on any of the usual spots ... source?

I am not seeing this on any of the usual spots ... source?

https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php

What would people think of Ross Barkley? Always thought he has the making of a decent player, with the right coach. I don't think Klich is the same player he was.

• Advertisement

Agree about Klich but don't think Barkley has the work rate needed to be a Bielsa player. In the first Villa game he didn't seem to have what was needed to compete with the running of Rodrigo,Klich and Shacks.

Maybe Bielsa could change him but I doubt it.

In the second Villa game Smith realised he needed different lads in midfield and went with Ramsey and that Marvellous lad which worked for him.

Advertisement