Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I said current form, he hasn't been anywhere near the form he had last season. Like for like performance wise, yes I think he can be replaced and now that the pressure of man to man marking isn't there I think the net widens.

Also, if he's stalling and rejecting offers looking for more money or a move then I can't see him being too pushed to improve, where does it leave him if he gets injured putting himself around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Stats would say you're wrong. 9 goals in 27 matches this season, plus three assists, many of those match-winning ones.

6 goals in 30 games last season.

As for not pushing himself he was MOTM against Norwich, twice hit the bar and provided the assist for the winner. And you think he's slacking?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

An will you come off it Seatherun66, you are an unbelievably biased poster. It was clear to absolutely everyone except you apparently that Raphinha had completely lost interest until Marsch came in. He was anonymous in the final few matches of Bielsa's reign and was nowhere near the standard of last season. He has improved considerable since Marsch has come in and is showing his true form again.

Obviously I hope we hold onto him but I don't see him staying considering how much we've regressed this season.

Biased how? All the stats are factual which removes any subjectivity. Stat wise he's by far our best performer this season.

What is current form then? This season? The last 3/4 matches? The last 10/12 matches?

He's had off-days, as has everyone else, but take a look at the personnel missing for his poorer games. Invariably Kalvin and Paddy, and usually several others. We have not had a settled team this season and this has affected performances by every last player we have. Despite that, and with international travel and an intensive fixture list in South America he's still the joint-11th top scorer in the PL. There's a reason Bayern, Liverpool, Barcelona and others are keen. They've seen him carrying the team for much of the season.

How many of those goals are from him lighting it up and making fools out of defenders in open play? 3 maybe?

The way I see it is he still does a job but not as dangerous or troublesome, I don't think "chance" when he gets on the ball.

So, on current form, I think you can get someone in thats on his current level yes.

I know he is better than he is playing right now, so do other clubs and that's why they are in for him.

• Advertisement

Happy for you to go scouting for a Brazilian international winger scouted by the best teams on the planet who scores a goal in every three games.

More focus on Raphinha this year as the threat from Bamford not there and his compatriot Rodrigo missing for many games. He has single-handedly won us several games this season with his work and goals, many of them excellent. This on 31 Oct. The idea he's had a bad season is patently absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Raphinha was our POTY for the first half of the season, I don't think many could possibly dispute that. He carried us at times. There also is very little doubt that his form dipped considerably after he came back from the last international break. Whether that was down to carrying an injury from international duty (it wasn't mentioned as a reason and he did continue to start games), fatigue (doubtful given the poor form lasted a number of weeks) or simply downing tools we will never fully know. But he was showing signs of being back in form recently and he is still our most dangerous attacking threat so to suggest he can easily be replaced is simply not credible. He will be a huge loss but at the same time most of us did and still do expect him to leave in the summer.

I just hope that he leaves a club that remains in the PL as a) we will get a better price for him and b) we will be better placed to recruit a better replacement. It doesn't sound like Barca can afford him, Liverpool have since signed Diaz and Bayern seem to have cooled their interest so not sure who else will be coming in for him. But we should be looking for £50m imho (I would have said £60m+ before January but I think his value has dropped since as some may question his attitude).

I think the pressure on him took its toll in early 2022. Carrying a team on such young shoulders meant something had to give. And who knows what he thought about some team selection. For me the dip wasn't too long though and he's our greatest threat for the next 8 games. He would have been helped had Paddy and Kalvin been around but other players could have chipped in a few goals also, one enormous change from last season where many players had big contributions to the tally. 62 in all for 2020/21, only 34 in 30 games this year. That's poor shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Victor Orta is sticking to the small squad policy next season. He mentioned that he would do that at a seminar this week.

This policy was the single biggest thing that sunk Bielsa.

There is no future for Leeds in doing that.

Surely you have to invest in a deeper squad to remain in the Premier League. This season must have thought Orta that.

If we escape the drop this season, it is by the skin of our teeth. We were on the end of too many hidings for Orta not to notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

I think he will go. I also think we will miss him. While he certainly hasn’t been firing on all cylinders for many of the reasons already noted and since the Hammers game he definitely seems to have seriously regressed for whatever reason.

However,we’ve no one else with the pace,skill and vision to put that ball on a plate for Joffy against Norwich or to create the gilt edge chances we fluffed in the home game with Spurs so I do think he will be difficult to replace. No idea how much we get for him, hoping maybe € 50m but maybe that’s optimistic.

Just hope that he can put everything else out of his head and burst his bo***x for the next few games and helps us over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

If he goes for less than £50m then it's a bad decision. Wait for 6 months until after the World Cup and get the value of a proper Brazilian international then. No harm for him having guaranteed football in the build up to that either. I don't see where he moves this summer if the Barca talk of bidding €28m is true. That's a long way from his value and no other top team is screaming out for a winger apart from maybe PSG if they have a squad shake-up. Orta will have a hell of a job replacing him whenever that time comes.

The 18 man squad plus academy kids quote from Orta is really bugging me. That's 16 senior outfield senior players. We have 16 in Ayling/Firpo/Dallas/Struijk/Llorente/Cooper/Koch/Phillips/Forshaw/Klich/Harrison/Raphinha/James/Rodrigo/Roberts/Bamford. So is there no space to add without selling first? Does he not think we're short at the moment then?

Bate/Hjelde/Cresswell/Summerville/Greenwood/Geldhart/Drameh/Gray as the academy prospects is fine but experienced depth is badly needed and it's been proven this season. Hopefully the quote is taken out of some context or it's a move to get value in the market. If it's what he truly believes then I'm worried. Would be fine in the Championship though so maybe that's what he's planning for....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Or he doesnt want to say publicly that we need 7 players and have the prices pushed up. I never believe a word out of the mouth of any board members we have any had. Not going to start now

Comhghairdeas to Gianni and Daniel, great results last night.

Only seen the Italian result this morning. Astonishing. It's now 16 years since they've made the knockout stages after winning it in 2006. Shall we send Frank Lampard over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Marcelo Bielsa looks set to add a third South American country to his CV.

It looks like Bolivia are after him now, having been beaten in their last three qualifiers and lying second bottom of the group and officially out of the running for that highly fought for 5th place. He'll be doing well to turn them around for the 2026 World Cup, on their 100th anniversary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If he goes for less than £50m then it's a bad decision. Wait for 6 months until after the World Cup and get the value of a proper Brazilian international then. No harm for him having guaranteed football in the build up to that either. I don't see where he moves this summer if the Barca talk of bidding €28m is true. That's a long way from his value and no other top team is screaming out for a winger apart from maybe PSG if they have a squad shake-up. Orta will have a hell of a job replacing him whenever that time comes.

From the way Barca are assembling a new squad it's doubtful they can afford the price tag with the chronic state of their finances. I'd expect it to be around £60m(€72m) or more and it will absolutely be dependent on offloading others to do so. £60m is two quality new players for other positions like CM and LB/RB or a good backup for Bamford.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They are supposedly offering Mingueza for Raphina. If people think Firpo is bad.......

Bamford out for 6 weeks. Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The good news is it seems all others be back for Southampton, but no Bamford is certainly a big blow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

After the long weekend and the Wolves result I was able to relax a little,grateful for the fact that we had no game for two weeks.

Now,here we are on Monday,5 days away from another huge game and the tension starting to ratchet up again. Genuinely can't wait for this horrible season to be over and done with.

Leeds can never catch any breaks this season.

Hopefully Raph will zone out of his Barcelona move and put in a shift against Southampton and Gelhardt will play from the start.

They've just lost to Villa, Watford and Newcastle and we're joint top of the league in form over the last two games. Plus we've got the Yorkshire Pirlo back in action. We might just get to enjoy a game for a change...

Phil Hay did a Q&A on the athletic. Said no release clause in Raphina contract (there is a relegation one) and has gone quiet in his camp since Jan. If him and Phillips haven't signed new deals by July, hard decision will need to be made

Think Raph talks going quiet until relegation fears are sorted is fair enough. Makes no sense to us to tie him down, pay a signing on fee and then he leaves for the relegation release fee (£25m I think). When we're safe it could be looked at, but after the Barca president Laporta name-checking Raphinha as a target I think it's already at the stage of just getting the best deal possible. Can't see Phillips being a problem really unless some team make a huge offer. Seems very happy in his situation and is getting guaranteed football before the World Cup. Think we get one more year and then he heads for Champions League. Phil mentioned that James Garner is liked by Leeds. 21yo ManU midfielder on loan at Forest and doing well. Deep lying playmaker to (hopefully) play alongside Phillips.

Wouldn't normally quote this rag, but its about the first one taking sense. Every other news outlet is going into a frenzy linking Barcelona with every player; Haaland, Lewandowski, Salah, Raphinha. They are waging a campaign to get him on the cheap, hoping he won't sign for someone with money. Spotify money has hardly made a dent in €1.2Bn debt over 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

The only person I ever believe is Phil Hay. He is close to the club and is possibly even used by the club to put some things out there. And I'm sure that if the club ever asked for something to be kept fully hush hush, he would

• Advertisement

Yeah I wouldnt be believing any links with Barca tbh. Paper never refused ink etc

Orta talking to Spanish press:

Leeds United chief Victor Orta has opened up on the major topics surrounding the club’s recent history in a detailed interview.

It has been a turbulent few months at Elland Road with Marcelo Bielsa ultimately paying for a poor start to the season with his job. His sacking sent shockwaves through the city and more could follow if star man Raphinha departs this summer.

The winger has been a sensation for the Whites and has a number of top clubs ready to snap him up – but Orta has offered some hope he will stay.

He told Radio Marca: “Fortunately, Raphinha’s career-management is led by a top-level player – Deco. He knows how to handle it. I have had several conversations with Deco. He helps, Deco. There are others who don’t, Deco has helped.

“Deco knows that the goal of the player is to save the team and stay in the Premier League. Everything that is of the future will come.

“Raphinha has no clause if we stay in the Premier League, by the way. In that sense, the player and I have looked each other in the face and we have now said there is only one goal. That is to save Leeds United.

“The player walked through the door of Leeds United and I said, ‘You will invite me to the World Cup in Qatar, won’t you?’, and he was left with a foolish face, he didn’t believe it.

“And now we have been meeting those objectives. Now he knows that Leeds and the coaching staff have helped his image grow. And he has responded to us with a lot of quality and being a difference-maker in the league.

“He has to remain the same and then when summer arrives, when the time comes, there will be time for everything.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Another rumour emerging, from Spain of course, is that Dembele may decide to stay so the need for a player like Raphinha would probably go.

Yeah they could be leaking these stories to show Dembele they have options etc

Leeds boss Jesse Marsch starts with an update around player availability as his side prepare to host Southampton.

"Raphinha had Covid and then over the break there has been Covid as well with the staff so the timing was good with the break. Everyone is clear now," he says.

On Patrick Bamford's foot injury: "He is disappointed this has happened to him. This is the way it ended up. We felt we were creating a progression that protected him, but this has been tricky for everyone who has had it with getting through.

"Progressing without distressing is a hard balance. He ruptured a small part of it. Hopeful the six weeks [being out] is accurate."

The American goes on to say that Kalvin Phillips is in contention to start for the first time since December but is not fully match fit yet.

Leo Fuhr Hjelde is back in training, Junior Firpo is getting closer to a return nd Jamie Shackleton and Tyler Roberts are also improving.

More from Leeds boss Jesse Marsch on Patrick Bamford: "He is an energetic, positive person. Part of the disappointment is because he was so committed to helping the team.

"It is difficult for him to handle.

"Six weeks means he can make the last two matches. I think he can be available for the last two matches. He is walking better, is pain free which he hasn’t been for the last four months. So we are optimistic."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭newhouse87

With 5 subs next season, more depth is definitely needed. This season should be a warning shot to the board, we all know how hard its to get back up,so board please don't **** this up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

My thoughts exactly, you cannot rely on a small squad when 5 subs can be used. We'll simply be overrun by teams that have bigger squads and can bring in high quality players as subs. We need to bring in more strength in depth this summer.

How will we start tomorrow ?

Meslier,Ayling,Koch,Struijk,Dallas,Phillips,Klich,Raphinha,James,Rodrigo................Forshaw or Joffy for the last spot. If he starts Kalvin he keep Forshaw in reserve to see how Kalvin goes.

I'd rather Forshaw for Klich and

Ayling, Koch, Struijk, Dallas

--------Phillips, Klich---------

--------Raphina, Harrison-----

--------James, Rodrigo-------

Thats what it will be IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Palace away moved to Monday night for TV with just 3 weeks notice. Can we ban Sky from the club again?

Llorente to start for me (if passed fit which appears to be the case). I would like to see Llorente and Koch get a run together. The rest of the team almost picks itself. I don't see Phillips, Joffy or Cooper starting so I think it will be

------------Meslier------------

Ayling, Llorente, Koch, Dallas

--------Forshaw, Klich---------

--------Raphina, Harrison-----

--------James, Rodrigo-------

• Advertisement

Marsch said only one of Cooper and Phillips will start so would expect Phillips to be the one. Then keep Forshaw on bench to replace him early enough if we can. Also expect James up front but would much prefer Gelhardt.

2-0 Rodrigo and Raphinha please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yikes, Cooper starts, great leadership but he will give me multiple heart attacks today, especially with Prowses free kicks

I would take a draw to be honest

Positive start from Leeds.

James really needed to pass that, such poor decision making at times

Get in

22 years since Chris & Kevin killed.

I was just about to complain about Raphinha, hasn’t been in the game but did great to get that cross in.

Rodrigo has been excellent, his movement off the ball, finding space, the quick one touch passes AND you know he cares, his effort is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will take that, good to get a scrappy goal when being the better team. Klich made some effort to get the ball before the simple pass to Raphinha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Great save from Meslier to keep the lead. A second goal early in the second half would be lovely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement