Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TC Registration - fees?

Options
  • 22-03-2021 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭

Good morning!

I am an English-trained teacher who has now completed induction in a British school. I am looking into teaching back in Ireland. I knew the TC fees were a few hundred, but the link below has a fee of a whopping €5000 for initial teacher training accreditation.

https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/registration/forms-and-fees/fees/

I have already emailed to ask for clarification, but this has really worried me. Is this a new part of the fee? Or is it for institutions who want their degrees added to the list of degrees accepted?

Help much appreciated :eek: Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Canard wrote: »
    Good morning!

I am an English-trained teacher who has now completed induction in a British school. I am looking into teaching back in Ireland. I knew the TC fees were a few hundred, but the link below has a fee of a whopping €5000 for initial teacher training accreditation.

https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/registration/forms-and-fees/fees/

I have already emailed to ask for clarification, but this has really worried me. Is this a new part of the fee? Or is it for institutions who want their degrees added to the list of degrees accepted?

Help much appreciated :eek: Thank you!

From my reading, that is what a new teacher training course would pay the teaching council to be included on the list!

If you are coming from a pretty standard UK teacher training college that's been running for a few years then I would assume they'd fall under the general category along with other colleges, so they'd already be on the list!

Maybe just give them a ring and email.

Best of luck with the Teaching Council... you'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alysiago

Hi, I’m a British secondary school English teacher who moved here two years ago. I’m from Wales and have been teaching for thirteen years. I’m having an absolute nightmare with the Teaching Council here, as I did supply for two years before leaving Wales and the TC don’t accept proof of teaching from teaching agencies. I left my last contracted school in 2017 and am struggling to get them to send the TC the paperwork that says this. I have UK Police Clearance and Garda vetting, but am still not registered here.

Anyway, sorry for stating my woes, but basically I had to pay €390 to start the application process. I don’t think that €5k fee is correct though. It’s bad enough that it’s €390. In Wales I think I used to pay less than £60 a year to be on the Education Workforce database. I hope you get an answer from the TC,but be warned, they are notoriously bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I’ve heard nothing but horror stories :( I know my degree and PGCE can both be recognised and I can get all the module descriptors and hopefully police checks... dare I ask, what else can go wrong?

Alysiago wrote: »
    Hi, I’m a British secondary school English teacher who moved here two years ago. I’m from Wales and have been teaching for thirteen years. I’m having an absolute nightmare with the Teaching Council here, as I did supply for two years before leaving Wales and the TC don’t accept proof of teaching from teaching agencies. I left my last contracted school in 2017 and am struggling to get them to send the TC the paperwork that says this. I have UK Police Clearance and Garda vetting, but am still not registered here.

Is that just to recognise the experience though? Surely once you have proof of completing your NQT you can register, even if pay increments might not be immediately recognised?

I’m in a school atm so I’ll be sure to get the paperwork sorted from them before I leave!

Hi, I wish it were that simple. I completed my NQT year well over a decade ago and even sent a copy of my induction certificate with my application, but it wasn’t enough for the Teaching Council. But speaking to my Irish teacher friends here, they tell me that the TC are notorious for making things difficult for returning teachers to Ireland or non-Irish qualified teachers.

I wish that I had secured my paperwork before leaving the UK. I would have been registered by now and would probably be in work instead of signing on. Do make sure that you get the Section E part of the form signed and stamped by your headteacher. This is what is holding my registration up (along with the bloody global pandemic!)

Hi, I wish it were that simple. I completed my NQT year well over a decade ago and even sent a copy of my induction certificate with my application, but it wasn’t enough for the Teaching Council. But speaking to my Irish teacher friends here, they tell me that the TC are notorious for making things difficult for returning teachers to Ireland or non-Irish qualified teachers.

I wish that I had secured my paperwork before leaving the UK. I would have been registered by now and would probably be in work instead of signing on. Do make sure that you get the Section E part of the form signed and stamped by your headteacher. This is what is holding my registration up (along with the bloody global pandemic!)
    I just took a look at Section E - looks fine, but I have no experience in Ireland to fill in... because I’m not registered there yet :pac: Hope they don’t pick on that.

If you left the UK then tried to register, can I ask how you dealt with UK police checks? Afaik you can only be DBS checked when living in the UK, did you have any problems there?

And why didn’t they accept your NQT cert? Sorry to pester, just mentally preparing myself for all curveballs :o sorry to hear you’re out of work, especially when they seem so in need of teachers.

• Advertisement

My DBS was still valid when I left Wales so that was no problem. I did my last day of agency supply teaching the day before I moved over to Ireland. As for the other bits, I applied for my UK Police check from Ireland. There is a website that the Teaching Council have a link to where you can apply for yours. It cost £55 though. The Garda vetting is also easy enough, again you are able to do that via the TC website and I think it’s €30.

I have no idea why my Induction certificate wasn’t enough for the TC. Like I said, they are notorious for being difficult, so make sure you have everything you need in order to get your application ready to be processed.

What I also find ridiculous is that you pay €390 and then they tell you that it will take up to three months to process your application. I contacted my last school I taught in in the UK today and they have finally sent my Section E form back to Ireland, so fingers crossed my application can finally be processed. I’ve obviously missed any work opportunities for this school year, but I’ll hopefully be registered and ready for work come September. I really hope you don’t have such a hard time as I have at getting yourself registered when you come over. It’s a common problem and my situation is in no way unusual (which I found out when I Googled it.)

My DBS was still valid when I left Wales so that was no problem. I did my last day of agency supply teaching the day before I moved over to Ireland. As for the other bits, I applied for my UK Police check from Ireland. There is a website that the Teaching Council have a link to where you can apply for yours. It cost £55 though. The Garda vetting is also easy enough, again you are able to do that via the TC website and I think it’s €30.

I have no idea why my Induction certificate wasn’t enough for the TC. Like I said, they are notorious for being difficult, so make sure you have everything you need in order to get your application ready to be processed.

What I also find ridiculous is that you pay €390 and then they tell you that it will take up to three months to process your application. I contacted my last school I taught in in the UK today and they have finally sent my Section E form back to Ireland, so fingers crossed my application can finally be processed. I’ve obviously missed any work opportunities for this school year, but I’ll hopefully be registered and ready for work come September. I really hope you don’t have such a hard time as I have at getting yourself registered when you come over. It’s a common problem and my situation is in no way unusual (which I found out when I Googled it.)
    I have to pay for so many police checks :( I just hope it's worth it if I get a job I enjoy back home...

I had heard that some private schools didn't require TC registration but thought I'd do it just to have more options. Beginning to question that decision!

I've also heard jobs don't tend to appear for September until July/August :eek: Really a messy way of doing things, I'm used to UK schools advertising well in advance. Such a headache deciding if this is worth all the hassle.

Best of luck with your applications too, here's hoping we both manage to land something for the coming year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

I have to pay for so many police checks :( I just hope it's worth it if I get a job I enjoy back home...

I had heard that some private schools didn't require TC registration but thought I'd do it just to have more options. Beginning to question that decision!

I've also heard jobs don't tend to appear for September until July/August :eek: Really a messy way of doing things, I'm used to UK schools advertising well in advance. Such a headache deciding if this is worth all the hassle.

Best of luck with your applications too, here's hoping we both manage to land something for the coming year :)

Believe me, sometimes the September jobs aren't advertised until October :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I applied for a DBS check when I was in the UK (May 2020) and put my Irish address on it. It arrived by mail to Ireland in June. I think for an 'enhanced DBS check' only employers can apply, but for the standard one I think it's around £25 and I had no problems sending it to Ireland.

I'm doing a PGCE now but teaching abroad (with little intention of teaching in Ireland with everything I've heard here about the TC!), and I think you would need to be sure that your PGCE has sufficient credits? The PME in Ireland is two years and 120 ECTS credits. As far as I'm aware our PGCE is only 60. I haven't looked into this too much as I don't plan on registering, but it is another potential curveball... Perhaps someone can correct me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

I’ve heard nothing but horror stories :( I know my degree and PGCE can both be recognised and I can get all the module descriptors and hopefully police checks... dare I ask, what else can go wrong?

The TC are the most inept and frustrating quango I’ve had the misfortune to deal with. Make sure that you send everything by registered post as it’s amazing how many times they told me they hadn’t received documents/transcripts etc. It took me over a year for them to finally recognise my PGCE from Bangor and my BSc but fortunately this was before it was mandatory to have TC recognition if you wanted to teach in Ireland. You will also have to sit the utterly pointless History of Education exam if you are to achieve full recognition. As stated before, I’m not sure if you will have to complete more modules as the Dip here has now changed to a 2 year course.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

I applied for a DBS check when I was in the UK (May 2020) and put my Irish address on it. It arrived by mail to Ireland in June. I think for an 'enhanced DBS check' only employers can apply, but for the standard one I think it's around £25 and I had no problems sending it to Ireland.

I'm doing a PGCE now but teaching abroad (with little intention of teaching in Ireland with everything I've heard here about the TC!), and I think you would need to be sure that your PGCE has sufficient credits? The PME in Ireland is two years and 120 ECTS credits. As far as I'm aware our PGCE is only 60. I haven't looked into this too much as I don't plan on registering, but it is another potential curveball... Perhaps someone can correct me though!

Oh that isn’t so bad then! I had a catch 22 with the PGCE because I’d never even lived there and they wanted the police check, but the other one sounds like the right one :)

I know people have registered with the PGCE I did, but you have to do NQT induction (which I have now done!). But I think I read somewhere that they wanted modules to be listed... the PGCE is so hands on that it wasn’t even divided up into that!

Really hoping I can gather up all the documents I need and leave them nothing to pick on
    cmssjone wrote: »
    The TC are the most inept and frustrating quango I’ve had the misfortune to deal with. Make sure that you send everything by registered post as it’s amazing how many times they told me they hadn’t received documents/transcripts etc. It took me over a year for them to finally recognise my PGCE from Bangor and my BSc but fortunately this was before it was mandatory to have TC recognition if you wanted to teach in Ireland. You will also have to sit the utterly pointless History of Education exam if you are to achieve full recognition. As stated before, I’m not sure if you will have to complete more modules as the Dip here has now changed to a 2 year course.

Good luck!
    That’s what really worries me :( I’m moving home to, well, be at home, so I don’t know what I’ll do if I’m not eligible to work (in a shortage subject no less...). You can still teach without being registered, I know people who have very recently, but you get paid less and schools probably prefer to avoid that.

The History exam is currently online... hoping it stays that way til I do it :pac:

Advertisement