Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government won't fund Dublin whitewater rafting attraction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Some idiot on RTÉ radio at the moment saying she is distraught this isn’t happening

She said ppl could go for a swim in it before and after work ...what planet is this one on!

one that realises that some an are that is densely populated and has a high concentration of workers might us an amenity near them?

The opposition to this is purely from those that are perpetually outraged. Why can't we have some nice things in Dublin? The whole bloody news cycle is depressing enough lately without this whataboutery for something you are outraged at. Are we supposed to put everything on hold until the country is perfect like?

Owen Keegan might be an advocate because he's aware that there is a need due to being a kayaker? Might be nice to have some sport amenity that's not a field......and caters to people who aren't into team sports .

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Only in ireland would we try to build a kayaking facility in the middle of the Central Business District of the capital city.

It's like we're trying to set the city centre up as a leisure facility for the local welfare class.

Are the rest of us supposed to bring our equipment on the bus or maybe Eamon Ryan wants us to cycle into town with it?

It is so absurd and laughable and very very Irish.

Only in ireland would we try to build a kayaking facility in the middle of the Central Business District of the capital city.

It's like we're trying to set the city centre up as a leisure facility for the local welfare class.

Are the rest of us supposed to bring our equipment on the bus or maybe Eamon Ryan wants us to cycle into town with it?

It’s also ***** drum roll ***** the centre the city for tourists and, well, everybody.

I presume you could rent kayaks. Just a thought.

What’s very Irish is the opposition to something fun. And the use of that pernicious phrase.

By the way if London introduced something like this, or New York or whatever, the kind of Irish people who oppose something like this would be asking why can’t we do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Good idea but it's totally the wrong location. It should be built on the outskirts of the city as you could have suitable parking etc. and it would cost much less to build there.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Good idea but it's totally the wrong location. It should be built on the outskirts of the city as you could have suitable parking etc. and it would cost much less to build there.

London has one in the outskirts. Not sure I agree though as tourists aren’t going to take a trek out to something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's DCC doing all the crazy, Keegan and the councillors take it in turn to come up with crazy ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,852 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

retalivity wrote: »
    What about the homeless???
    Much like bishops and sci-fi, the Homeless love rafting.

And drifting

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

London has one in the outskirts. Not sure I agree though as tourists aren’t going to take a trek out to something like that
    Not sure tourists are going to trek to Dublin for it full stop. €25m buys a lot of other more urgently needed facilities for the population who live there.

• Good! Sort out the social issues in the area before considering vanity projects like this.

The place would have been an absolute mess. This is a 100% Owen Keegans vanity project. Akin to the Bertie Bowl.

Start approving high rise buildings instead of stupid ideas like this. I bet an outrageous amount of time has been wasted on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

One of the largest wastes of money the city could propose, glad its not being funded

Rubbish. It’ll be great for the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not sure tourists are going to trek to Dublin for it full stop. €25m buys a lot of other more urgently needed facilities for the population who live there.

With that attitude nothing would ever be done to improve the city.

Something like this would be a lot better than the derelict hole in the ground right in the middle of the city.

Dublin suffers from a mix of begrudgery, small time thinking and lack of ambition.

That is why the city has always been a boring, undistinguished, unedifying place and will remain so.

Everything is moaned about, everything is shot down.

It's suppose to be a capital city ffs but look at the state of it.

Having something like that on the outskirts of a city is a good idea, not in the middle of the city. People kyaking usually have vans and trailers for the gear. That's a lot of parking spaces needed in a prime city centre location.

Don't get me wrong, something like this would be a great amenity but it's totally the wrong location.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

ideal location is the network of canals around Galway, fed by corrib, always high flow.

With that attitude nothing would ever be done to improve the city.

Something like this would be a lot better than the derelict hole in the ground right in the middle of the city.

Dublin suffers from a mix of begrudgery, small time thinking and lack of ambition.

That is why the city has always been a boring, undistinguished, unedifying place and will remain so.

Everything is moaned about, everything is shot down.

It's suppose to be a capital city ffs but look at the state of it.

Your reply was to someone else but I'll address the begrudgery aspect.

I want to see Dublin develop and that area could do with some development. But the kayak thing is the wrong development for there. Yes, it's needed but not in that location. Locate it somewhere on the outskirts where there is more space for it.

I'm coming at it from a common sense point of view, not a begrudgery point of view.

I’d cost less as there’s a smaller catchment area. Having it in town by the DART and LUAS Line allows access , they’d have equipment for people who don’t want to bring their own.
    Not everyone drives.

ideal location is the network of canals around Galway, fed by corrib, always high flow.

What’s the population of Galway??

• BattleCorp wrote: »
    Your reply was to someone else but I'll address the begrudgery aspect.

I want to see Dublin develop and that area could do with some development. But the kayak thing is the wrong development for there. Yes, it's needed but not in that location. Locate it somewhere on the outskirts where there is more space for it.

I'm coming at it from a common sense point of view, not a begrudgery point of view.

Agree with this. That land is ideal for a high rise building.

Additionally there are very troublesome issues in the area with youth. I could see a lot of hassle and vandalism which would eventually turn it into a white elephant. The 25 million would be much better spent on local community initiatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Additionally there are very troublesome issues in the area with youth. I could see a lot of hassle and vandalism which would eventually turn it into a white elephant. The 25 million would be much better spent on local community initiatives.

That land is mainly already water. There won’t be a high rise ever built there or even a building on the water part

What about the homeless???

The homeless are an excuse when people don’t want things built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The absolute disgusting sh1tstorm that is College Green especially in front of Trinity and the Old Parliament needs urgent action.
    Maybe pump those funds into the above along with actually having a garda presence in the city centre to flush the open drug dealing/aggressiveness out of the place where tourists actually do go?

• Advertisement

Now if we can only stop the development of 'The Giant', the moving statue/advertising board.

Yes. Stop all the fun stuff.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Simple solution to this, why don't the 5,000 members of Canoeing Ireland donate €5000 of their own money towards this.
    Another thing, there was talk of this being about €50 a go, which is a complete fantasy. The costs of staffing, maintenance and moving tens of thousands of tons of water around will ensure that this facility will always be a loss making money pit.
    KevRossi has the right idea, and while some might argue that this would make it's use seasonal, so what. Lots of sports are seasonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's DCC policy seemingly to ring the center of the city with social housing near the canals.

Common sense tells you all the social problems from those areas converge in the center which is a stones throw away.

It's not that social housing is wrong but from a strategic point of view the sheer amount of it of course you're going to have youth problems, random assaults, petty crime that sort of thing.

There seems to be no over arching vision for the city other than dumping societies ills in there which makes it an unattractive place to visit and eventually people just stay away.

"This is not Dubai" as the locals would say complaining about the next thing.

Indeed it's not.

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Simple solution to this, why don't the 5,000 members of Canoeing Ireland donate €5000 of their own money towards this..

Far from simple , can I choose not to pay taxes that go to providing social houses. Or how about roads outside of Dublin, as for rural broadband make the homeowners pay the €10,000 themselves.

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d cost less as there’s a smaller catchment area. Having it in town by the DART and LUAS Line allows access , they’d have equipment for people who don’t want to bring their own.
    Not everyone drives.

With respect, I have to disagree with you on both points.

It couldn't be cheaper to build it in the city centre than it would on the outskirts of the city. It would cause a lot more hassle and expense building it in the centre of the city than on a greenfield site along the M50 somewhere.

Secondly, the majority of people using it will be regular kayakers, who all have their own gear and it's not the sort of stuff one can bring on the Luas. The reason I think this.........kayaking isn't easy and it can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. It's not like going on a tour of Dublin on a day trip so I think you can rule out a lot of tourists and day trippers as you'd be having to rescue them every few minutes.

I used to be involved in Kayaking years ago. We trained people one-on-one either in a swimming pool or in the river when it was very calm. It will be difficult doing that on a large scale in the city centre so I think that will rule out a lot of people who want to casually try kayaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nonsensical vanity idea that shouldn't have gotten this far in the first place. There's a lot of things that Dublin City Centre needs, but a Kayaking Centre isn't one of them.

More Gardai on the street, less junkies and scumbags, dealing with the litter and general grime would all be a much better thing for tourism (and the locals!) than this.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nonsensical vanity idea that shouldn't have gotten this far in the first place. There's a lot of things that Dublin City Centre needs, but a Kayaking Centre isn't one of them.

More Gardai on the street, less junkies and scumbags, dealing with the litter and general grime would all be a much better thing for tourism (and the locals!) than this.

I'm not against a kayaking center as such, just having it in this location is crazy.

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Simple solution to this, why don't the 5,000 members of Canoeing Ireland donate €5000 of their own money towards this.
    Another thing, there was talk of this being about €50 a go, which is a complete fantasy. The costs of staffing, maintenance and moving tens of thousands of tons of water around will ensure that this facility will always be a loss making money pit.
    KevRossi has the right idea, and while some might argue that this would make it's use seasonal, so what. Lots of sports are seasonal.

Who should they? Should race goers pay for the vast amount of money spent on their sport?

This isn’t just for canoeists anyway.

With respect, I have to disagree with you on both points.

It couldn't be cheaper to build it in the city centre than it would on the outskirts of the city. It would cause a lot more hassle and expense building it in the centre of the city than on a greenfield site along the M50 somewhere.

Secondly, the majority of people using it will be regular kayakers, who all have their own gear and it's not the sort of stuff one can bring on the Luas. The reason I think this.........kayaking isn't easy and it can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. It's not like going on a tour of Dublin on a day trip so I think you can rule out a lot of tourists and day trippers as you'd be having to rescue them every few minutes.

I used to be involved in Kayaking years ago. We trained people one-on-one either in a swimming pool or in the river when it was very calm. It will be difficult doing that on a large scale in the city centre so I think that will rule out a lot of people who want to casually try kayaking.
    And I’ve been involved in water sports for 40 years. The average user will be corporate groups , youth clubs , college clubs etc and will hire equipment.
    They can adjust the flow and have it suitable to all levels. You need to look up similar Centers in various countries.

People who kayak regularly will stuck to rivers etc as it’ll be to costly. To do this on such a regularly basis.

Here’s a place in London. https://www.gowhitewater.co.uk/activities#raftingunleashed

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

The funding for it is from a fund for leisure activities, so regardless of this getting built. None of the things in your list will receive funding

Advertisement