Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government won't fund Dublin whitewater rafting attraction

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What about the homeless???

We could divert the money from the millions already being allocated to the homeless industry. So much is being wasted in duplicated services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What about the homeless???

They can sit in the cold watching their betters have fun.

• Good! Sort out the social issues in the area before considering vanity projects like this.

The place would have been an absolute mess. This is a 100% Owen Keegans vanity project. Akin to the Bertie Bowl.

Start approving high rise buildings instead of stupid ideas like this. I bet an outrageous amount of time has been wasted on it.

Quelle surprise. Another fight amongst youths and stabbing across the road this evening.

https://www.thejournal.ie/youths-clash-dublin-samuel-beckett-bridge-5388699-Mar2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Quelle surprise. Another fight amongst youths and stabbing across the road this evening.

https://www.thejournal.ie/youths-clash-dublin-samuel-beckett-bridge-5388699-Mar2021/

Wrong thread...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

ted1 wrote: »
    1/3 of the population lives within the greater Dublin area.
    The LUAS alone carry’s 50 million people a year.

Outside Dublin simply doesn’t have the numbers to sustain such a project

Fair enough, however the cost of building a facility for canoeists/kayakers/rafters in the canals surrounding Galway city should be orders of magnitude less than plans for Dublin (which will not be built).
    The fall is there, the free constant supply, with a safe finish in the claddagh basin.
    A lot of tourists come to Galway each year, as do a lot of canoestists (strong canoeing group in Galway around university etc), so I was just throwing out an alternative.
    Neither will ever happen.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, however the cost of building a facility for canoeists/kayakers/rafters in the canals surrounding Galway city should be orders of magnitude less than plans for Dublin (which will not be built).
    The fall is there, the free constant supply, with a safe finish in the claddagh basin.
    A lot of tourists come to Galway each year, as do a lot of canoestists (strong canoeing group in Galway around university etc), so I was just throwing out an alternative.

Galway should step up and do it then. Show Dublin up.

Dere is nuttin to do in Dubla cept drink, wha.

Ok. Do you want a white water leisure centre, my good man?

Naw, I don’ wan’ da. Wha about de HONELESS? DA’s in the IFSC, dere yuppies, dem workers.

IT’s close to you? There’s lots of public transport.

I don wan it. I wan a pub dere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Very good points. And to add that if kayakers wanted to use it, then where would they park their vans and trailers? .

Declare kayakers to be a ethnic group, they'll get a free trailer park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I don’t know where your talking about at all so can’t comment on the suitability but the one planned in Dublin finished with a conveyor to bring you back to the top which is quite important. I used the one in Penrith outside Sydney years ago and it was brilliant we could keep going round in the loop. I’d imagine that’s a requirement for this kind of facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭bigroad

They should build a viewing platform at the top of the ESB chimneys and maybe a place to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Galway should step up and do it then. Show Dublin up.

Galway has neither the funding nor the political will to do it.

Fishing rights on the corrib are a big money spinner, and kayaking is frowned upon because old biddys see it as a disgrace given that people drown in the river from time to time, so notbody should be in/on it.

Add to that the fact that GCC is one of the most incompetent LAs going..

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

salmocab wrote: »
    I don’t know where your talking about at all so can’t comment on the suitability but the one planned in Dublin finished with a conveyor to bring you back to the top which is quite important. I used the one in Penrith outside Sydney years ago and it was brilliant we could keep going round in the loop. I’d imagine that’s a requirement for this kind of facility.

in fairness, it would not have that type of conveyor facility, but the run itself would be about 1 to 1.5km.
    Anyway, I haven't canoed in 20 years, so will leave this now, as i am not going to build it!

https://imgur.com/Q4AnMKz

Q4AnMKz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

bigroad wrote: »
    They should build a viewing platform at the top of the ESB chimneys and maybe a place to eat.

Or just knock them into the sea. They look kind cool from a distance, but they are damn ugly really.

Advertisement