Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land

Options
  • 22-03-2021 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here is wiser than me.

The small parcel of land, is that by any chance landlocked within the bigger one? They have different folio numbers. The small one originally formed part of the bigger one, but just can't get my head around how it appears to be surrounded by a thin strip on all sides (except on the right, which is part of a different folio altogether).

Any input, greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,
    MagicEye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

magicEye wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here is wiser than me.

The small parcel of land, is that by any chance landlocked within the bigger one? They have different folio numbers. The small one originally formed part of the bigger one, but just can't get my head around how it appears to be surrounded by a thin strip on all sides (except on the right, which is part of a different folio altogether).

Any input, greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,
    MagicEye
    It is landlocked unless there is a right of way reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The thin strip all around would appear to be the public road - in areas where TII or the local authority have not explicitly bought out the public road, its generally 'owned' by the land owners either side, albeit with no benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

L1011 wrote: »
    The thin strip all around would appear to be the public road - in areas where TII or the local authority have not explicitly bought out the public road, its generally 'owned' by the land owners either side, albeit with no benefits.

It is indeed the public road, so in this case, even though it's not shown on the map, the owners of the small parcel would own the public road as well?

or the owners of the big parcel will still own that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

It is indeed the public road, so in this case, even though it's not shown on the map, the owners of the small parcel would own the public road as well?

or the owners of the big parcel will still own that?

Technically the owners of the big parcel Ken it. However if it is under the care of local council it is fine. If not the second land owner would need a right if way to cross it.

It is landlocked unless there is a right of way reserved.

no right of way shown anywhere and not able to find it specified anywhere either..

could the owners of the big parcel prevent access to the small parcel of land based on the maps? the thin strip is the public road on bottom side of the property, not sure about the other side as it is actually a cul-de-sac approximately 200m up that way, so might not be a public road? how can i find that out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

no right of way shown anywhere and not able to find it specified anywhere either..

could the owners of the big parcel prevent access to the small parcel of land based on the maps? the thin strip is the public road on bottom side of the property, not sure about the other side as it is actually a cul-de-sac approximately 200m up that way, so might not be a public road? how can i find that out?

Don't know what county you're in but should be able to find the equivalent of
    https://corkcoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=7190cee61ec3429a9c778db5488732aa for Cork and can see if its a public road & the designation. Solicitor would/should still ask for confirmation directly from the council, usually by sending them the folio map and asking for them to confirm.

If there is no access to the property from a public road (i.e. the landowner will not grant right of way or the council say they are not responsible for it) then you'd have a serious defect on title that could prevent a bank from granting a mortgage not to mention being at the mercy of the landowner.

Don't know what county you're in but should be able to find the equivalent of
    https://corkcoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=7190cee61ec3429a9c778db5488732aa for Cork and can see if its a public road & the designation. Solicitor would/should still ask for confirmation directly from the council, usually by sending them the folio map and asking for them to confirm.

If there is no access to the property from a public road (i.e. the landowner will not grant right of way or the council say they are not responsible for it) then you'd have a serious defect on title that could prevent a bank from granting a mortgage not to mention being at the mercy of the landowner.

It's county Limerick and thank you so much, I've been looking for that map for Limerick to no avail yet, i'm still looking :)

Advertisement