Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting bamboo in a large container

Options
  • 22-03-2021 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm planning on planting two Yellow groove bamboo at the back of my garden. I've got 2 × 210L plastic barrels (approx 2 foot diameter, 3 foot height). My plan is to cut the top lid of the barrel, dig out a 3 foot hole to place the barrel into and plant the bamboo plant within the barrel, this is to keep it under control.

Only thing is I'm worried about drainage (and restricting possible runners). My plan is to drill a hole or two half way down the barrel, keep a trench of stones either side of the barrel so that I can cut off any runners that shoot through and give drainage.

Would this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 robebocc

Yes. Bamboo have very shallow roots, less than a foot (30 cm). You could put the stones in the bottom of the barrel. You don’t have to sink the barrel unless you think it is unsightly and it would give even better drainage. If you wanted a bigger clump you could buy root barrier from garden.ie

Where did you get the bamboo from? I see it can grow to two inches in diameter. I wouldn’t mind getting some.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 George Cantstandya

robebocc wrote: »
    Yes. Bamboo have very shallow roots, less than a foot (30 cm). You could put the stones in the bottom of the barrel. You don’t have to sink the barrel unless you think it is unsightly and it would give even better drainage. If you wanted a bigger clump you could buy root barrier from garden.ie

Where did you get the bamboo from? I see it can grow to two inches in diameter. I wouldn’t mind getting some.

Hi, as it turns out I've decided to go with the root barrier method as I'm looking for a decent height of 4 - 5m :)

I got my plants in Newlands, plants were 3.5m tall so very happy with the height. Maybe double check what courier will be delivering the plant if you're getting it delivered

Advertisement