Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural WiFi

Options
  • 22-03-2021 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of using rural wifi? https://ruralwifi.ie/ there is no fiber broadband in the area im moving to and Rural wifi have told me i could get speeds of 60-70 mbs but they have to install it first to see about speeds.

I was just wondering about reliability, i will need it for WFH and streaming services etc.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

They use the 3 network. Have you got any 3 sim cards in the family? Do a speedtest at the house with one of them if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭BigProblem

Tzardine wrote: »
    They use the 3 network. Have you got any 3 sim cards in the family? Do a speedtest at the house with one of them if you do.

yeah i am actually with three, i will do a speedtest so. thanks so much.

BigProblem wrote: »
    yeah i am actually with three, i will do a speedtest so. thanks so much.

Have a look at the mobile broadband options from three too.

They may be cheaper than rural wifi. They do a 750gb monthly allowance for about 30 euro.

I use them for my house broadband for the past 4 years and they are rock solid - although this depends on location of course. Support is actually good also.

Big advantage with 3 will be when 5g reaches your area. That will be a game-changer.

Have a look at the mobile broadband options from three too.

They may be cheaper than rural wifi. They do a 750gb monthly allowance for about 30 euro.

I use them for my house broadband for the past 4 years and they are rock solid - although this depends on location of course. Support is actually good also.

Big advantage with 3 will be when 5g reaches your area. That will be a game-changer.

ok thanks so much, what speeds are you getting with the mobile broadband from three?

ok thanks so much, what speeds are you getting with the mobile broadband from three?

Usually its stable at around 30 or so. Occasionally it drops down to about 10, but rarely less that that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its kinda pointless to ask anyone but your neighbour that. I can get 300Mb on 4G but thats only applicable to people 1km in any given direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Speak Now

They also use Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Speak Now wrote: »
    They also use Eir.

You sure? Last I heard only GoMo were an MVNO on MMC.

ED E wrote: »
    Its kinda pointless to ask anyone but your neighbour that. I can get 300Mb on 4G but thats only applicable to people 1km in any given direction.

i have access to the property and was getting 30mbs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ED E wrote: »
    You sure? Last I heard only GoMo were an MVNO on MMC.

Yeah they sent me a replacement sim and it was Eir. Three has a better 4G signal for my location so they changed it again when I queried.

• Advertisement

is 750 GB fair usage cap per month much internet? will be working from home and streaming football, netflix etc...

is 750 GB fair usage cap per month much internet? will be working from home and streaming football, netflix etc...

Depends on how big the family is and how many users.

But I stream a lot, download a lot of on-demand stuff on sky, and watch an awful lot of Youtube. Work at home 3 out of 5 days too.

Just me and the wife in the house, and I average 250-350 gb a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am currently trying to contact Rural Wifi but not having any luck. We have been with them at this address for 18 months and it has been mostly ok-ish, except on weekend evenings. Can't use Zoom and Skype audio only is often iffy. For the last couple of days the service has been dire. By the time I write this it may be gone again so I can't send it.

Their website is desperate with stuff overlaying other stuff, not encouraging for a communications firm. I have tried the message option, the 'ring me back' option and neither worked - though of course that is probably more to do with the lack of wifi than anything. Have phoned them but only got an answering machine, they are supposed to ring me back.

looksee wrote: »
    I am currently trying to contact Rural Wifi but not having any luck. We have been with them at this address for 18 months and it has been mostly ok-ish, except on weekend evenings. Can't use Zoom and Skype audio only is often iffy. For the last couple of days the service has been dire. By the time I write this it may be gone again so I can't send it.

Their website is desperate with stuff overlaying other stuff, not encouraging for a communications firm. I have tried the message option, the 'ring me back' option and neither worked - though of course that is probably more to do with the lack of wifi than anything. Have phoned them but only got an answering machine, they are supposed to ring me back.

Any time i have tried calling them i have gotten through no hassle to them, there sales team were very helpful. i didnt get the service myself as after testing the speeds were very slow and kept dropping. i have email and phone no for them if you require i can pm you.

Advertisement