Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will boom time estates last?

Options
  • 22-03-2021 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into an estate of maybe 100 houses that were built around 2005/06.
    It's a standard timber frame townhouse, identical to any number of estates that were built up and down the country, cost close to 400k at the height of the boom, maybe 350-400k now.

Taking a look around, nearly all the houses are in some form of disrepair.
    All houses have algae and moss growing on roofs, rendered walls are stained black and pink, gutters are cracked, fascias are faded and starting to rot. Patterned concrete has worn away.

Some of the window seals in my own house are starting to go.
    Several doors are hanging low and scraping the floor. Tiles in the bathroom are starting to come loose.
    I understand that houses need upkeep, but how long will houses like this last without people putting serious money into maintenance? Seems like houses might have to start getting knocked in another 15 or 20 years if this wear keeps up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Some will be gutted and rebuilt from frame out, most will see smaller scale renovations, new windows doors etc. Definitely hard to see them lasting as long as older type housing without needing money put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Wood needs more maintenance than stone or brick, wood has to be painted and sealed every few years ,wood expands,contracts with heat and cold .every house needs maintenance.
    you could get an expert to do a full structural survey
    if someone spends 400k on a house i would presume they could afford to carry out major repairs.
    i,m not an expert but for 300k you could buy an old stone.brick house that will last 100 years with less maintenance than a wood frame house.
    algae moss grows on all roofs , roofs need to be cleaned at least once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It's a standard timber frame townhouse, identical to any number of estates that were built up and down the country, cost close to 400k at the height of the boom, maybe 350-400k now.
    The price for land during the boom years went up to ten times the amount of pre-2000 prices. Two farmers sold their land in Leixlip and no doubt made a pretty penny! Thus I'd wonder how much of the 400k is just the land? A lot of said houses had pyrite issues, but were fixed without cost to the homeowners, and will probably last for many years to come.

Advertisement