Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got new bistro set now worried about bugs

Options
  • 22-03-2021 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Got new bistro set its dark brown faux rattan. Now worried that spiders will climb under the chairs. Is there any way to e.g. thumbtack something underneath to stop them getting in under there or something else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just let them live there. What harm are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Indoors or outdoors, you are never far away from a spider. Insects will use your furniture for shelter.
    Maybe keep a light blanket in the house and throw it over the chair before you sit on it. That should keep anything from popping up and visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

pwurple wrote: »
    Just let them live there. What harm are they doing?
    They give me the heeby jeebies. I think a lot of people have this fear. My mobility is not good so I'm liable to fall over and break something to get away if I spotted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

pleh wrote: »
    They give me the heeby jeebies. I think a lot of people have this fear. My mobility is not good so I'm liable to fall over and break something to get away if I spotted one.

Oh dont fall, then they will live on you! :)

Just kidding, if you are actively using the furniture then 99% of them will be living underneath where you won't see them, they dont really want to be around you either!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would not staple anything to the plastic rattan. And if you did then (beside destroying the rattan) you would not be able to see easily whether your chairs were infested. I'm kinda sorry you mentioned this, I hadn't thought of it. :D

I can only suggest that you turn them over every now and then and put the hose inside them. The blanket is the best idea really. The spiders are not going to wait until you turn up and say 'right lads, lets get her!

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I would not staple anything to the plastic rattan. And if you did then (beside destroying the rattan) you would not be able to see easily whether your chairs were infested. I'm kinda sorry you mentioned this, I hadn't thought of it. :D

I can only suggest that you turn them over every now and then and put the hose inside them. The blanket is the best idea really. The spiders are not going to wait until you turn up and say 'right lads, lets get her!

Right so I hadn't thought of that, if I covered it up I'd be just creating a haven for other little bugs. :eek:
    Good news is, that I did turn a chair over today and it's not as dark underneath as it is on the outside, so if there's something there it should be visible. Unless it's a particular orangey brown colour :D
    I'm going to go with the blanket.

Thanks for your advice

fiacha wrote: »
    Indoors or outdoors, you are never far away from a spider. Insects will use your furniture for shelter.
    Maybe keep a light blanket in the house and throw it over the chair before you sit on it. That should keep anything from popping up and visiting.

Thanks for your advice it's no hardship to bring out a blanket

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭toffeeshel

Unless it's a particular orangey brown colour :D

Google False Widow spider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

toffeeshel wrote: »
    Unless it's a particular orangey brown colour :D

Google False Widow spider

This is pure evil - More so when you consider that OPs actual username spells H E L P backwards!

OP you mentioned how common a fear of spiders is which is 100% true but they thought of you actually hurting yourself while getting away from one is scarier!

Try and rationalise it out in your mind that if you do come in contact with one then take your time and calmly get rid of it as there's no risk in the world to you other than what in your mind through conditioning to be afraid of these harmless little guys.

Advertisement