Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am looking for a new drink

• 23-03-2021 2:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Currently, my drinks are rum and cider. An old list of rums I drink are here, and I've since had more of different rums. I mix them, so less than others, but the stomach doesn't take them straight.

Ciderwise, not Bulmers, but Koppaberg and some of Westons products, such as Old Rosie, Henry Weston Vintage, etc. If I can get flat cider, I'd prefer it at room temp.

But unfortuantely, cider causes gas and can cause heart burn. Thus, I'm looking at other drinks. Have tried stouts, milk stouts, etc, but find them too bitter. Likewise with IPAs. Have tried some cold, some at room temp. Not for me. Have tried Guiness & blackcurrant, but unfortuanely not for me.

I forget why I don't drink gin, but am fairly certain it had a very bad effect on me in the past. Vodka (even mixed) I can't drink without nearly vomiting, due to stupiditty of youth.

Whiskeies, from the usual Jameson to some of the pricey treble & single malts & a few japanese whiskeies have found myself shuddering and/or gagging if I drink them. So, not whiskey. Likewise with brandies, cognac, and martinis.

Have found wine to be bitter. Found one bottle that was okay'ish, a bit frity, but was about €80 a bottle. And wasn't all that enjoyable.

Find all beer tastes the same, and I dislike that taste. Also dislike the texture; cider beer feels like beer, and thus I dislike it, if that makes any sense.

Saké; have tried it, got very drunk, but only drank it warm in some Karoke Bar on Capel Street; thus I assume it was the cheap stuff. Perhaps a recommondation to get the good stuff so I can drink it chilled?

So, am wondering what else can I drink, which has alcohol in it? Am trying to broaden my alcoholic horizons. Once I can try it or buy it in Dublin or nearby, I'll try it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭con747

Start on A and work through list of liqueurs.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

con747 wrote: »
    Start on A and work through list of liqueurs.

Am trying to find liqueurs that I didn't know existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A for apple schnapps? Maybe too sweet.

Red vermouth \ vermouth rosso with ice. It's about 15 - 20%.
    A lot of cocktails use rum and vermouth as a base so even if you don't like it with ice you might use it up that way.

Make your own liqueur with say baileys and brandy and ice, vary the ratio to see if one works for you.

Calvados - if you are a cider fan, this is French apple brandy approx 40% so you might want to add some chilled spring water or hot water to bring it down a bit.

If you're willing to give red wine one more try, Apothic Red (Tesco 10-15e) is a little off dry so you might not find it as bitter.
    Some Californian red blends have more residual sugar than typical European wines.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Have you ever tried Amaretto mixed with coke ?

Very easy to drink ,too easy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

the_syco wrote: »

I forget why I don't drink gin, but am fairly certain it had a very bad effect on me in the past. Vodka (even mixed) I can't drink without nearly vomiting, due to stupiditty of youth.

So, am wondering what else can I drink, which has alcohol in it? Am trying to broaden my alcoholic horizons. Once I can try it or buy it in Dublin or nearby, I'll try it.

Give gin another chance. I had bad experiences with it in my youth, in particular Cork Dry, back when the only gin you could order was Cork Dry or Gordon's. But I think gin has come a long way since, and they is more variety, flavours and strengths available now. There is a lovely gin in Aldi called Boyle's Gin, could be worth a shot at the price point of that. Try different mixers, tonic is traditional but people often don't like it. Try soda water with some lime, bitter lemon, etc.

Martini Extra Dry Vermouth (the green bottle you often see, not a proper cocktail style martini) is quote nice, but low strength. I have drank this with lemon and it's very refreshing.

Wine has a broad variety of flavours also - I have tried bitter ones, but I have also tried some gorgeous ones. Sauvignon blanc is quite light and easy to drink, try something from the supermarket shelf like Oyster Bay or even Graham Norton. They are popular as they are quite easy drinking and an easy entry to wine drinking.

What about tequila? A nice margarita or other tequila cocktails can be quite tasty, but can be a bit of faff to make at home sometimes. You can buy premade bottles though which are good.

In relation to beers, an all day session ale can be kinda fruity if you wanted to give that a try. However, I often don't think you will like beers or ales first time... You almost have to keep drinking "to develop a taste".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Don’t know what wine you were drinking at €80!!

A nice flurie will set you back 20

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd suggest raising your cider game away from the sugar-filled fizzy industrial ones. Cockagee might suit you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Doesn't sound like you really enjoy drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Try ginger beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭recyclops

MacDanger wrote: »
    Try ginger beer

this a lovely bottle of ginger beer over ice with lime and a dash or two of bitters.

then move it on and make a few dark and stormys later in the evening :pac::pac:

just in terms of cider im a big fan of stonewells find it better than most ciders

• Advertisement

You don't seem to hate Bourbon yet, maybe give that a go? Woodford Reserve is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You don't seem to hate Bourbon yet, maybe give that a go? Woodford Reserve is lovely.

OP already said that whiskey makes them gag.

OP already said that whiskey makes them gag.

In general, American whiskey is more palatable and sweeter than typical Irish or Scottish labels so it might not be so off-putting for the OP.

I have never tried it myself, but I notice Tesco have this on offer at €28

Jack Daniels Tennessee Apple Liqueur 35%, 70Cl
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=305734539

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

baileys

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd suggest raising your cider game away from the sugar-filled fizzy industrial ones. Cockagee might suit you better.
    Used to grab some of the non-fizzy ciders in Sweeneys, but haven't found another offlicense quite like it since they left Finglas Road. Supervalu sometimes sells Henry Westons, but often only a few bottles.
    In general, American whiskey is more palatable and sweeter than typical Irish or Scottish labels so it might not be so off-putting for the OP.
    Shall check it out.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    I have never tried it myself, but I notice Tesco have this on offer at €28

Jack Daniels Tennessee Apple Liqueur 35%, 70Cl
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=305734539
    Another one to add to the list I'll be trying, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Used to grab some of the non-fizzy ciders in Sweeneys, but haven't found another offlicense quite like it since they left Finglas Road. Supervalu sometimes sells Henry Westons, but often only a few bottles.

Shall check it out.

Another one to add to the list I'll be trying, thanks.

If you're on the Northside head along Griffith Avenue and down to Martins, they'll have plenty of different ciders to try. Would also suggest ginger beer like Hollows, Crabbies etc

CiaranMT wrote: »
    If you're on the Northside head along Griffith Avenue and down to Martins, they'll have plenty of different ciders to try. Would also suggest ginger beer like Hollows, Crabbies etc
    Martins on Marion Mart? Buy 90% of my rum there! Shall ask about their ciders.

Yeah, Martin's will definitely have Cockagee, and probably the Perry too. Cider choice in Ireland is abysmal, though. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for anything good so even the reputable producers make stuff to compete with Bulmers, and Bulmers shouldn't be legally allowed call itself cider :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭con747

Give Southern Comfort a go as well.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You need to try Port.

Its generally around 20% so has a decent kick without being as severe as whiskey. It has a very intense flavour, so you don't need to drink a bottle of it to feel satisfied. You can get red or white, or tawny which can be excellent. It can work as a nice evening drink, a nightcap or to complement food. Depending on the type it can be a nice winter warmer (red) or a chilled drink on the veranda (white).

Basically I like port and think everybody else should too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Stones ginger wine. You can buy it on amazon uk. I first tried it in Australia. Its very popular over there. I think its actually an English brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Stones ginger wine. You can buy it on amazon uk. I first tried it in Australia. Its very popular over there. I think its actually an English brand.

World Wide Wines in Waterford sell it too but delivery outside Waterford is €10.

con747 wrote: »
    Give Southern Comfort a go as well.
    Ah, it's so-so. Find when mixing, I need 1 part SC, to 4 parts mix, same with the normal Captain Morgans. Whereas most other rums is 1 part to 3 parts mix, down to 1:2 parts or less for the likes of Black Magic. But Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum is an entrire different kettle of fish.

And I keep finding new dark rums to try from various outlets and airports. But am trying to find out other rum or cider drinks to try.
    Basically I like port and think everybody else should too
    I'm the same with run :D
    Any brands that you recommend? Not Buckfast, though.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah, Martin's will definitely have Cockagee, and probably the Perry too. Cider choice in Ireland is abysmal, though. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for anything good so even the reputable producers make stuff to compete with Bulmers, and Bulmers shouldn't be legally allowed call itself cider :mad:
    Can you recommend any uncarbonated cider, that's sold in Ireland, preferably near Dublin?

Can you recommend any uncarbonated cider, that's sold in Ireland, preferably near Dublin?
    No, I don't think there are any. It's very easy to make, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

If you're a rum fan I'd have to give Bundaberg a shout. Ozzie dark rum made from sugar cane. An acquired taste, sweet and quite acrid but delicious with coke and loads of ice.

It is jet fuel though. They have the saying in Australia: "If you can't fight on the bundies, you can't fight..".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'm the same with run :D
    Any brands that you recommend? Not Buckfast, though.

Im not a connoisseur by any stretch, and I haven't tasted a wide range, but this is a personal favourite:

https://baggotstreetwines.com/kopke-10-year-old-tawny-port

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

Have you tried Buckfast?

Just be careful though as "A diet of four bottles a day has been described as 'not conducive to a long life' in a Scottish Court"

Any brands that you recommend?

For Port brands, Niepoort are a favourite of my OH.
    They also do a dry white port which can served over ice or with tonic.

• Advertisement

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    Have you tried Buckfast?

Just be careful though as "A diet of four bottles a day has been described as 'not conducive to a long life' in a Scottish Court"
    Have tried the stuff down here, and up north(meant to be nicer?). Both revolting.

Advertisement