Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being asked to be guarantor on a loan?

• 23-03-2021 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

What are the implications of being asked to be a guarantor of a short term (less than 5 years), small value (less than €3k) loan?

I understand it will show on my credit report also.

Would it majorly impact ability to get my own loans if I needed to, as well as mortgages? I have neither at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It means you become liable for the debt if the borrower defaults.

Be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Who is asking you to do this? If they are young I'd say fire ahead but over 25 and needs help raising 3k then nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

For the purpose of your own future borrowing, it’s considered the same as having a loan yourself, they don’t take into account the repayments but do factor it in as a liability.
    As above you are fully liable and if the actual borrower defaults you would be expected to repay in full, not take over the repayments but pay the full balance due via one lump sum.

Advertisement