If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K TV

Options
  • 23-03-2021 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have been told that 4K televisions require a lot of adjustment and time to find the “proper picture settings”.

How does a person know they have the correct settings?

I have only seen 4K TVs in shop displays before the lockdown last year and the picture settings clearly were not the set to the best - I don’t how to describe it but exactly but for the movies playing the colours were bland and when characters or the camera moved everything look unnatural (???).

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hello,

I have been told that 4K televisions require a lot of adjustment and time to find the “proper picture settings”.

How does a person know they have the correct settings?

I have only seen 4K TVs in shop displays before the lockdown last year and the picture settings clearly were not the set to the best - I don’t how to describe it but exactly but for the movies playing the colours were bland and when characters or the camera moved everything look unnatural (???).
    Hi Need A Username,

Thanks for the post!

Some TVs can benefit from adjusting the picture settings however for most TVs the out of box settings will be absolutely fine.

It really comes down to the panel type and the type of content that's playing. The best panels to look at would be the OLEDs as they don't have a conventional backlight which can sometimes wash out the image. Instead each individual pixel will light up and give fantastic colour and contrast as well as near perfect black levels. Playing a lower resolution image as well such as Standard Definition will affect image quality, Full HD and 4K will bring out the best of your TV.

Most TVs have different picture modes though and there is no exact science when it comes to adjusting the settings, I find it comes down really to personal preference.

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Hi Need A Username,

Thanks for the post!

Some TVs can benefit from adjusting the picture settings however for most TVs the out of box settings will be absolutely fine.

It really comes down to the panel type and the type of content that's playing. The best panels to look at would be the OLEDs as they don't have a conventional backlight which can sometimes wash out the image. Instead each individual pixel will light up and give fantastic colour and contrast as well as near perfect black levels. Playing a lower resolution image as well such as Standard Definition will affect image quality, Full HD and 4K will bring out the best of your TV.

Most TVs have different picture modes though and there is no exact science when it comes to adjusting the settings, I find it comes down really to personal preference.

Kind regards

David

Thank you.

What brands are have good default picture settings for 4K out of the box?

Hi Need A Username,

Thanks for the post!

Kind regards

David

Thank you.

What brands are have good default picture settings for 4K out of the box?
    Thanks for getting back to me Need a Username.

It would depend what sort of budget you're looking around but the best would be the LG OLED55CX5:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14028-lg-oled55cx5lb-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play-freesat-hd.aspx?swapstore=1

But any TV by Sony, Philips, LG, Panasonic or Samsung would give a great picture!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

It would depend what sort of budget you're looking around but the best would be the LG OLED55CX5:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14028-lg-oled55cx5lb-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play-freesat-hd.aspx?swapstore=1

But any TV by Sony, Philips, LG, Panasonic or Samsung would give a great picture!

Kind regards

David

Is a sound bar all that is needed to experience Atmos on AppleTV with iTunes, Netflix, etc?

Kind regards

David

Is a sound bar all that is needed to experience Atmos on AppleTV with iTunes, Netflix, etc?
    Hi Need a Username,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you!

You would need an Atmos soundbar that's capable of replicating the height channels in an Atmos soundbar. I would recommend something like the LG SL8YG as a great starter!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204267-lg-sl8yg-3-1-2-ch-high-res-audio-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-and-google-assistant.aspx

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.