Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf TB test

• 23-03-2021 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭

Is the 4month of age (or is it 120 days?) limit going to stay in place for allowing a calf be sold in the mart without a TV test.

Have a suckler cow we want to cull in the summer and prob sell the calf at 3/4 months of age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

As far as I know the 120 test is only while we are operating under Covid restrictions, I think last year when it went back to level 3 then the test exemption went back to 42 days. If I was you and if at all possible I would test the animal before I would sell it. I find a fresh test on an animal is always worth a few euro more when selling. Have often bought cattle with the test nearly expired a bit cheaper as dealer / agents don't be on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

893bet wrote: »
    Is the 4month of age (or is it 120 days?) limit going to stay in place for allowing a calf be sold in the mart without a TV test.

Have a suckler cow we want to cull in the summer and prob sell the calf at 3/4 months of age.
    The current exemption is only until the first of April, after that calves will have to be tested over 42 days old unless the Dept extends the deadline. I agree with Anto to get it tested closer to the sale date which also means that it's eligible for export if within 30 days of sale. Northern Irish buyers are still very active around the rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭irishguy19772

Good to know. Was planning on selling a suckler cow from our herd and calf was just born Saturday. Thought i might chance selling then both together but interesting to hear a fresh tb test would make more money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Good to know. Was planning on selling a suckler cow from our herd and calf was just born Saturday. Thought i might chance selling then both together but interesting to hear a fresh tb test would make more money.

I doubt if a recent Tb test would make much difference in that situation. It might be a bonus if the team was export eligible (30 day test) but most marts that double as export clearance centre's will organise testing for Northern buyer's as needed. I know plenty of northern customers that buy stock every week and get them tested and subsequently exported via the mart. If there's a while left on there current Tb test I'd sell off that, it's a different story if they were within a week or two of being out of test.

The biggest problem is stock that have been tested inside the previous 60 day's (30 day test expired) or from dealer herds/multiple recent residencies as they aren't eligible for export for 30 day's. On the system the export status is either Y (ready for export), R (eligible for test and subsequent export) or N (not currently eligible for testing or export).

Advertisement