Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless USB adapter

Options
  • 23-03-2021 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Whats the story with wireless USB adapters ? Do they work straight away when you stick it in a usb port like will it give me wireless access straight away or do I have to set it up first ? Will I need a username and password for me wifi The problem I have is, I recently got EIR fibre box installed but, I have not got a UAN from eir to log in to my modem/router and it was installed downstairs in the hall. My computer is upstairs but has no wireless & bluetooth option installed on it, I skipped the option when buying my PC. So, will buying a wireless usb adapter get me around this problem for the time being until I can get get a wireless & bluetooth option installed on me PC ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It should work straight away as long as the USB adaptor is compatible with the PC's operating system (OS). Check before buying that the OS is listed as supported.

The wireless network name and password will be required to access the router's wireless network from the PC, those details should have been provided by Eir when it was installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 STEE91281

Quick question about standard and frequencies I took it from a pcgamer uk best-usb-wi-fi-adapter list I cant post it because Im a new user but, just search pcgamer.uk site type up wireless wifi adapeter and a list of the best ones comes up. Anyway it says Standard: AC1200 IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Frequencies: 2.4GHz + 5GHz on the last one the budget one, was the one I was gonna buy. Ye see the number before the IEEE How do I find out what mine would be from the modem/router and also the frequency. Also what one would you buy from the list pcgamer gave ? Should I just go budget or is the more expensive ones a better option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Ten Pin wrote: »
    A username and password will be required to access the router's wireless network from the PC, those login details should have been provided by Eir when it was installed.

Not entirely accurate, sorry.

To connect to the WiFi, you need the SSID (netowrk name) and the security token (sometimes called WiFi Password).
    Not to be confused with the username and password you need to log in to the router. These are usually labelled as "Settings User" and "Settings Password".

Not sure how it works for Eir, but my VirginMedia box had these on a label at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

STEE91281 wrote: »
    Should I just go budget or is the more expensive ones a better option ?

You'd be wasting your money buying anything fancy. I have an old laptop and the onboard wi-fi stopped working years ago, I have this at the moment and it works fine. It's currently GBP 9.99 on Amazon UK and you should be able to buy it in Harvey Norman or PC World for about €20 ...

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/adapter/archer-t2u-nano/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Not entirely accurate.

Post updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 STEE91281

coylemj wrote: »
    You'd be wasting your money buying anything fancy. I have an old laptop and the onboard wi-fi stopped working years ago, I have this at the moment and it works fine. It's currently GBP 9.99 on Amazon UK and you should be able to buy it in Harvey Norman or PC World for about €20 ...

will that one work with the Eir Fibre box ? The modem/router is called a F5366s here's a link to the manual Im not allowed post links yet because Im a new user but google eir fibre box manual its top of the list on google I cut the http www bit out this should work eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/support/.galleries/pdfs/support-pdfs/user_manual_f3000.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

STEE91281 wrote: »
    will that one work with the Eir Fibre box ?

Yes it will. I looked at the manual and it mentions 802.11 which is the Wi-Fi standard. And it supports 2.4 and 5 Ghz. All of the Wi-Fi USB sticks will work with that router.

Advertisement