Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants subletting

Options
  • 23-03-2021 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

I have excellent tenants There 7 years rent paid every month. It’s a house with 4 bedrooms. In rpz so very reasonable rent for the location.

Tenant texted me today that one guy left suddenly. So they can only afford to pay 3/4 rent this month but offered to make it up once let. I said no prob, hard to find flatemate with covid.

So I checked the ad this evening. It’s for house share of 5 not 4. They are advertising the dinning room at just over 25% of rent paid to me.

Obviously others are benefiting from paying less. Not sure if I’ll say anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I have excellent tenants There 7 years rent paid every month. It’s a house with 4 bedrooms. In rpz so very reasonable rent for the location.

Tenant texted me today that one guy left suddenly. So they can only afford to pay 3/4 rent this month but offered to make it up once let. I said no prob, hard to find flatemate with covid.

So I checked the ad this evening. It’s for house share of 5 not 4. They are advertising the dinning room at just over 25% of rent paid to me.

Obviously others are benefiting from paying less. Not sure if I’ll say anything.

Have you been doing yearly inspections? If the house is kept well and it’s not affecting your money I’d nearly let it slide- hard to find decent tenants and with people on pup being put on a lower dole now they’ll be quite a few who’ll struggle to pay rent

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Looks like the lead tenant had a 25 /25 /25/ 25 /0. 0 % thing going, and doesn't want to fill the short term gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Is there a question here to be answered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Esse85 wrote: »
    Is there a question here to be answered?

No question but it’s a discussion forum...people have opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s your call really. If however the lead tenant is making a profit then I wouldn’t let it go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Does your lease with the tenants specify the number of bed spaces and number of tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Gael23 wrote: »
    It’s your call really. If however the lead tenant is making a profit then I wouldn’t let it go

Why? Everybody is happy:
    # op is getting as much as he is asking.
    # lead tenant gets cheap roof
    # subtenants get reasonable conditions for reasonable money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭enricoh

It's fairly petty from the lead tenant, god forbid he may have to dip into his pocket for a month!
    I'd let it slide though n tell him 75% for a month, after that full whack.

Advertisement