Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing proof of rent letter

Options
  • 23-03-2021 9:04pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm applying for a mortgage at the moment and to cut a long story short I've been renting cash in hand for 2.5 years and the landlord has flat out refused to give me a letter proving I've been renting there. What are my options here? It's pretty much the only thing left that I need to start the application.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm applying for a mortgage at the moment and to cut a long story short I've been renting cash in hand for 2.5 years and the landlord has flat out refused to give me a letter proving I've been renting there. What are my options here? It's pretty much the only thing left that I need to start the application.

I’d suggest talking to him and explaining your mortgage app is dependent on proof of payment. I’d assume he’s refusing as he is accepting cash and not declaring it for tax. He doesn’t have to provide the letter hence why I’d try talk him around.

Could you prove through cash withdrawals from your bank instead of landlord confirming. If you have lease use that however I assume you have no written lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That’s because he’s not tax compliant most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

He should have been signing a rent book for you as you went along.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/rent_books.html

Let him know you'll have to follow up with the council if he won't comply with his legal obligations...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Remind him that there's an easy way and a hard way.

Give you the letter, it goes to the bank, no more said.

He doesn't, you go to Revenue. They'll love nothing more than to send him a massive bill plus fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

kirving wrote: »
    Remind him that there's an easy way and a hard way.

Give you the letter, it goes to the bank, no more said.

He doesn't, you go to Revenue. They'll love nothing more than to send him a massive bill plus fines.

Of course if he is tax compliant or if Revenue don’t bother taking an interest, the op has a better chance of winning the lottery than getting any assistance from the LL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dav010 wrote: »
    Of course if he is tax compliant or if Revenue don’t bother taking an interest, the op has a better chance of winning the lottery than getting any assistance from the LL.

Well, as it stands, they're not getting any assistance, so nothing to lose.

I'm open to any reasonable suggestions as to why a professional landlord might not provide a simple letter. There's one glaringly obvious one.

My employer has templates that take 30 seconds to fill out for basic information like this, which equally they have no legal obligation to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Ask for up to date rent book, it's their obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Cash used to be a thing where people would treat each other with respect: I give you cash I get a cheaper price no one any the wiser. Nowadays it seems that as soon as there is any issue it's tell revenue this and demand rent book that.
    Why were you paying cash OP? Like in this day and age is it not a thousand times easier to just transfer the money.

No way I'd be paying cash unless I was earning cash and wanted rid without having to lodge or if I was getting a discount.

The man is clearly non tax compliant and will not want either to write a letter stating this or a letter from Revenue saying you did same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was pretty sure they weren't tax compliant when I started. I did sign something for them. I asked for a rent book and they said they couldn't provide one so I asked would they be able to provide a letter if I was going for a mortgage which they agreed to, verbally though.

I've made sure to take out the exact amount as a cash withdrawal at the same time every month so it will appear in my bank statements.

I'd rather avoid the nuclear option as I'd say landlord will have no qualms turfing me out on my ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I was pretty sure they weren't tax compliant when I started. I did sign something for them. I asked for a rent book and they said they couldn't provide one so I asked would they be able to provide a letter if I was going for a mortgage which they agreed to, verbally though.

I've made sure to take out the exact amount as a cash withdrawal at the same time every month so it will appear in my bank statements.

I'd rather avoid the nuclear option as I'd say landlord will have no qualms turfing me out on my ear.

Show the bank people the withdrawals and explain the circumstances it should be obvious what's going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Show the bank people the withdrawals and explain the circumstances it should be obvious what's going on.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see where I can go. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Tbf, the LL can't just turf you out, you have rights as a tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

MacDanger wrote: »

He can, as long as he does so legally.

I've seen them do it through a gentlemans agreement with tenants that caused trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Are you dealing with the bank directly? A good broker may be able to get around it?

Could look at doing up the letter yourself and that way he just needs to sign it? can be harder to turn down a signature rather than a full letter

Broker. I'll see tomorrow if broker has a way around it tomorrow before going through other avenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Vestiapx wrote: »

Happened a friend, bank wouldn't accept cash withdrawals as proof of paying rent. They had to move into a new rental for 6 months and then reapply.

Caranica wrote: »
    Happened a friend, bank wouldn't accept cash withdrawals as proof of paying rent. They had to move into a new rental for 6 months and then reapply.

For the sake of someone refusing to provide a letter or rent book. Crazy. Has to be something untoward going on if they'd prefer someone to move out than provide a receipt, and it's impossible to look past the tax issue.

And Revenue are very very interested in people taking the piss btw.

https://www.ros.ie/online-enquiry-web/goodCitizen

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you cannot provide that you paid your rent, they can claim you are in arrears and start proceedings against you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is the lease registered with the PRTB? are you renting a room or a house/apt?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I've a mortgage with Ulster and never needed to provide any sort of letter. All the payments going out are detailed on your bank statement. Is this a new thing or is your broker just trying to cover all possibilities before submitting any applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I should add, my mortgage application was only about 5months ago and drew down 2 months ago with ulster bank. They didn't need any such landlord letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

This is 100% the logical outcome of your nod-and-a-wink agreement with your landlord, and tbh I'm not sorry that you are suffering at least some negative consequences as a result.

If you cannot provide that you paid your rent, they can claim you are in arrears and start proceedings against you.

The LL could claim that but it doesn't seem like it would work out too great for them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Sesame wrote: »
    I've a mortgage with Ulster and never needed to provide any sort of letter. All the payments going out are detailed on your bank statement. Is this a new thing or is your broker just trying to cover all possibilities before submitting any applications?

The OP is paying in cash though. The bank statement will just show the amount of cash withdrawn.

Talked to the broker. They said they might be able to proceed as I've been making regular savings payments. If that isn't enough I'll have to take the nuclear option and threaten to contact the council. More than likely will get me turfed out but I think they would be stupid to risk an audit from revenue for the sake of a letter.

Talked to the broker. They said they might be able to proceed as I've been making regular savings payments. If that isn't enough I'll have to take the nuclear option and threaten to contact the council. More than likely will get me turfed out but I think they would be stupid to risk an audit from revenue for the sake of a letter.

You can't just be "turfed out" without the LL following the proper procedures. As a tenant of 2.5 years, you're entitled to 120 days notice which doesn't begin until Covid Level 5 ends.

Good luck with it

Once you get sorted, report him to Revenue anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This is 100% the logical outcome of your nod-and-a-wink agreement with your landlord, and tbh I'm not sorry that you are suffering at least some negative consequences as a result.

Not sure where you see the evidence in the thread of the OP benefiting from paying cash? Or are you assuming he/she is getting cheaper rent as they are paying cash? - which may not actually be the case...

• Advertisement

El Tarangu wrote: »

Nice. Explain how the OP is benefitting from this situation as you suggest.

Is there a legal obligation that the OP is not fulfilling here?

Advertisement