Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing proof of rent letter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

MacDanger wrote: »
    Tbf, the LL can't just turf you out, you have rights as a tenant

Like the right to a rent book and receipts....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Cash used to be a thing where people would treat each other with respect: I give you cash I get a cheaper price no one any the wiser. Nowadays it seems that as soon as there is any issue it's tell revenue this and demand rent book that.
    Why were you paying cash OP? Like in this day and age is it not a thousand times easier to just transfer the money.

A few years ago I came out of a long term relationship where I had lived with my ex, and needed to find somewhere to live with a strong preference for not having to go back sharing with others in my 30s.

There was literally nothing affordable - even dumps of studios were priced with a dual salary couple in mind - then I got lucky and found a sub-divided house that was perfect, with one caveat; rent had to be paid weekly, in cash. Right down to the additional €2.50 per week towards the bins, in coins. I'm not even sure if was for tax reasons, because she gave me a receipt each time - she was just old fashioned.

I'm not saying it's the OPs case, but sometimes necessity dictates the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

You can't just be "turfed out" without the LL following the proper procedures. As a tenant of 2.5 years, you're entitled to 120 days notice which doesn't begin until Covid Level 5 ends.

Good luck with it

Once you get sorted, report him to Revenue anyway

Report him why?

There was an agreement between the OP and the landlord that the payments would be cash. This would have benefited both of them at the time or it wouldn't have happened. Whatever about using the threat of reporting him as leverage to an end the idea of "report him anyway" sickens me.

To clarify my issue is not that I deal in cash I don't and I never have but I'm fully aware of what it means. If a person offers you a tenancy only if you pay cash and you don't like it then report away but if you do a deal you should stick by that deal.

OP, if it comes to it try asking the land lord for a letter saying you have been there since six month ago, he wont have done his tax returns for 2020 yet and wont be actively confessing to tax fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Dav010 wrote: »
    He can, as long as he does so legally.

This kind of nonsense needs to be challenged, the poster should stand over their statement how this could be possible under the circumstances described in the OP, because I say slim to not at all and with a very unpleasant come back.

a landlord may be under no obligations to directly assist in the enquiry made, but they cant then go and make something of it and decide to start to move the tenant out.

So poster, how could a scenario you have stated occur??

Maybe something like this;

Tenant: Id like to get a letter confirming how much I have/I am paying as rent.
    Landlord: No (for whatever or no reason), rightyo this tenant is on thin ice, Im going to get rid of them.

They will be given very short shrift at the RTB,
    so what legal avenues do yo think exist

A few years ago I came out of a long term relationship where I had lived with my ex, and needed to find somewhere to live with a strong preference for not having to go back sharing with others in my 30s.

There was literally nothing affordable - even dumps of studios were priced with a dual salary couple in mind - then I got lucky and found a sub-divided house that was perfect, with one caveat; rent had to be paid weekly, in cash. Right down to the additional €2.50 per week towards the bins, in coins. I'm not saying it's the OPs case, but sometimes necessity dictates the situation.

Yes, as per my point, it was cheaper because it was cash, that's a win - win deal and should be treated as such. Changing the terms of the deal after one has had their advantage is not on in my book. ( my book is out of date but the world is not better because we start breaking our word to each other)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This is 100% the logical outcome of your nod-and-a-wink agreement with your landlord, and tbh I'm not sorry that you are suffering at least some negative consequences as a result.

LL's tax obligations are no concern of the OP.

OP do you have any texts or that that show you are regularly meeting the LL to give them rent or to confirm rent received.
    Ideally if you can get bank to approve without needing to go to LL that is best option.
    Next, print the letter and try just get him to sign, explaining it is only for the bank to confirm your outgoings, they don't care who it is going to.
    After that you might have to play hardball and demand rentbook, with threats of reporting to revenue if not.

I'd be inclined to report him anyway once you have your own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Report him why?

There was an agreement between the OP and the landlord that the payments would be cash. This would have benefited both of them at the time or it wouldn't have happened. Whatever about using the threat of reporting him as leverage to an end the idea of "report him anyway" sickens me.

To clarify my issue is not that I deal in cash I don't and I never have but I'm fully aware of what it means. If a person offers you a tenancy only if you pay cash and you don't like it then report away but if you do a deal you should stick by that deal.

OP, if it comes to it try asking the land lord for a letter saying you have been there since six month ago, he wont have done his tax returns for 2020 yet and wont be actively confessing to tax fraud.

The OPs tenancy started in late 2018 so presumably it was pretty difficult to get a tenancy back then, how much leverage do you think the OP had with negotiating a rent reduction for cash? I'd safely say zero

People dodging tax sickens me much more than people reporting those who are dodging tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Yes, as per my point, it was cheaper because it was cash, that's a win - win deal and should be treated as such. Changing the terms of the deal after one has had their advantage is not on in my book. ( my book is out of date but the world is not better because we start breaking our word to each other)

In my experience, there was no agreement, implicit or explicit, that I was getting a cheaper rate because I was paying cash, which could then effect my tenant rights later on. She told me it was just how she managed her properties. The fact that I was getting a receipt probably meant it didn't cross my mind - I thought she was just odd, maybe naively so.

That was the price she asked, it was the price I paid, with no negotiation. It still wasn't cheap (€160 p.w., 7-8 years ago).

I certainly wouldn't purposely try to cause issues for them after the event, but your assumption seems to be if you accept your rent being paid in cash, you have no complaint when the landlord doesn't uphold the obligations expected of a landlord. Can't say I agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

You could just write and sign the letter on behalf of the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Rent book. Simple.
    Either tell the landlord to fill it in and backdate it to when you moved in or
    Fill it in yourself.
    And if it suits you and makes it easier to get a mortgage out down a lower rent every month.
    Then landlord wont know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

OP, to address your original reason for proof of rent. You don't need proof of rent from your landlord to succeed in a mortgage application. I had no proof of rent as I was in the same situation as yours and it was not an issue on my application. Two things you need to do:

1) When the bank ask for proof of rent from your landlord tell them I won't be able to obtain one from the landlord (mention your cash situation, it is very common) and this situation won't change. I can't make one up for you.

2) Start taking out the exact amount of your rent from your bank at the beginning of the month each month. e.g. Your base rent it EUR1000 per month, you take out EUR1000 on the 1st of the month. After 3-4 months this will satisfy the bank, perhaps sooner.

That is it.

I certainly wouldn't purposely try to cause issues for them after the event, but your assumption seems to be if you accept your rent being paid in cash, you have no complaint when the landlord doesn't uphold the obligations expected of a landlord. Can't say I agree with that.

I'm saying don't report someone, you agreed to pay in cash, to Revenue as this is a breaking of a deal and that its just not right. I am not sayin that any of the responsibilities of being a landlord are excused at all.

I don't honestly care I just think the OP should honor the original arrangement. If Revenue decide to investigate based on they're report it will cause massive expense to the person he has been dealing with for 2.5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was pretty sure they weren't tax compliant when I started. I did sign something for them. I asked for a rent book and they said they couldn't provide one so I asked would they be able to provide a letter if I was going for a mortgage which they agreed to, verbally though.

I've made sure to take out the exact amount as a cash withdrawal at the same time every month so it will appear in my bank statements.

I'd rather avoid the nuclear option as I'd say landlord will have no qualms turfing me out on my ear.
    I'm saying don't report someone, you agreed to pay in cash, to Revenue as this is a breaking of a deal and that its just not right. I am not sayin that any of the responsibilities of being a landlord are excused at all.

I don't honestly care I just think the OP should honor the original arrangement. If Revenue decide to investigate based on they're report it will cause massive expense to the person he has been dealing with for 2.5 years.

It was actually the landlord who didn't stick to the deal as outlined in the OP's post above.

He said he would provide a letter for the mortgage and now he is refusing.

The OP stuck to his side of the bargain by paying the rent in cash.

Normally I would agree with your point about not reporting someone you have made a cash deal with from which you benefit but it cuts both ways.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yep, definitely report him once you are secure OP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

People dodging tax sickens me much more than people reporting those who are dodging tax

MacDanger, have you seen the Landlords tax returns? If you haven’t, you are making yourself ill un-necessarily.

Dav010 wrote: »
    MacDanger, have you seen the Landlords tax returns? If you haven’t, you are making yourself ill un-necessarily.

Thanks for your concern but it's unnecessary :D

I was responding specifically to this:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If the LL had stuck to the agreement there would be no issue but they didn't so there is. As a result they've made life much harder for the OP. I know what I'd do, I'd make life hard for the landlord too by reporting them. Probably sickens you but I'd be sick if my mortgage application was messed up because of the landlord's lies and deal welging. Somehow though, there's always somebody to make an excuse for bad behaviour in this country. Starting your post by going on about what's 'right' is highly ironic in that case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not benefiting from the cash situation. I needed to move to across the country for a job and it was the only room I could find that was decent and had an en suite. I asked about a rentbook. They said they couldn't supply one. Then I asked them that I would be applying for a mortgage down the lie and could they supply a letter showing paid rent if I asked. They said yes. I knew I didn't have much right especially as I'm a lodger as the family lives in the house but I expected them to uphold the verbal agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm not benefiting from the cash situation. I needed to move to across the country for a job and it was the only room I could find that was decent and had an en suite. I asked about a rentbook. They said they couldn't supply one. Then I asked them that I would be applying for a mortgage down the lie and could they supply a letter showing paid rent if I asked. They said yes. I knew I didn't have much right especially as I'm a lodger as the family lives in the house but I expected them to uphold the verbal agreement.

Rent a room should be tax free up to a reasonable limit so unless they are doing multiple rent a rooms, they could have been doing this fully tax compliant and not cost them anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Well you buried the lede there. As a lodger you have no right to a rent book or anything else.

Unfortunately you have no recourse here, and will have to hope a broker can get the bank to accept your regular withdrawals as evidence.

• Advertisement

This changes things OP, your "Landlord" is not actually your Landlord and you basically have zero rights as a licencee. Do not threaten to go to Revenue or you'll be out on your ear in a couple of days.

As Mick says, the rent a room scheme means he should have no tax worries unless he's renting several rooms. Seems odd that he would refuse a letter in these circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I applied for a mortgage through a broker OP and had no issues with needing a rent book/letter. When I moved into the house, I figured I would need a record so I opened a free ebs account, transferred my rent to that monthly with the label "cash rent date x" on it and then withdrew it on the same date every month. I explained this to the broker and no query was raised by the issuer. It might be an option for you though I guess it would probably require 6 months of transfers to show a record.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely renting more than one room.

I might ask for a copy of the licensee agreement. See if that will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

I'm applying for a mortgage at the moment and to cut a long story short I've been renting cash in hand for 2.5 years and the landlord has flat out refused to give me a letter proving I've been renting there. What are my options here? It's pretty much the only thing left that I need to start the application.

Use the rentbooks We did the same when we bought a home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The landscape has changed here :)
      How well do you get on with him normally?
      Have you previously p1ssed him off enough to make him want to mess with you like this?

If you cannot provide that you paid your rent, they can claim you are in arrears and start proceedings against you.

That would be perjury, and would open them up to the discovery process which I'm guessing they might want to avoid.

JimmyVik wrote: »
      The landscape has changed here :)
      How well do you get on with him normally?
      Have you previously p1ssed him off enough to make him want to mess with you like this?

Get on grand but I get the impression is they are money mad. Haven't had any issues but I've seen he sorts out issues with other tenants pretty quickly! I kind of want to avoid the nuclear options but if I need to go there I might have to but I kind of know what will happen if I cause trouble.

elperello wrote: »
      It was actually the landlord who didn't stick to the deal as outlined in the OP's post above.

He said he would provide a letter for the mortgage and now he is refusing.

The OP stuck to his side of the bargain by paying the rent in cash.

Normally I would agree with your point about not reporting someone you have made a cash deal with from which you benefit but it cuts both ways.

Sorry , I missed that bit, :o

ok if they said they would give a letter then they should. still wouldn't go threatening people though. I think asking for a letter or the last x months like I said earlier may be a better compromise.

Get on grand but I get the impression is they are money mad. Haven't had any issues but I've seen he sorts out issues with other tenants pretty quickly! I kind of want to avoid the nuclear options but if I need to go there I might have to but I kind of know what will happen if I cause trouble.

I highly doubt the landlord isn't declaring up to the full rent a room allowance, if you are personally paying more that the 14 grand that is tax free then maybe its an issue but he will have declared enough that you will be wasting your time. However you will be making life hard for yourself .

How much do you think he's getting in rent total in the house?

• Advertisement

I'm not paying 14k but they are definitely collecting 14k+ in rent.

Advertisement