Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing proof of rent letter

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

ted1 wrote: »
    Write your own letter. Sorted.

To whom it concerns , this letter confirms that OP has being living at ; address and paying a monthly rent of Xxx
    All payments have Been on time and there is zero arrears

Signed ,
    OPs friend. < no fraud or misrepresentation

Like a reference, so easy to fake. I'd think bank withdrawals are more reliable than such a letter but as I've said previously, in my friend's case the bank required 6 months of bank transfers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1874 wrote: »
    ok,

Im not involved in the OPs situation, so Im not being unreasonable.
    The OP was significantly inaccurate about how they described the situation in their first post, I weighed in in support as I thought they were a tenant.

You can read in other threads about licensees and where there are problems it is repeated, there is no advantage in giving out agreements or agreeing to anything, its just here is the room, these are the rules, pay up.
    Each party benefits for some reason, room for one person in a situation that is managed well by the sounds of it, other person gets an allowable amount.
    I dont think the OP is entitled to anything, and they are hardly likely to get it now.
    It sounds to me as the OP has found out they need the records now, hasnt kept them themself in a way which would assist them identifying the expenditures purpose, which is possible.
    It must seems likely they dont live in a tent so it is obvious to me they would be paying for somewhere, if a lender cant see that, I dont see how that is for the owner to resolve.

The owner could provide a letter, but if the sense of what the owner gets from the OP is the same as my interpretation, which the OP has basically confirmed, I would not go out of my way to help them.
    I used to go out of my way to help people, but its thankless, especially where people like the OP are prepared to turn on you.

The owners tax affairs are their own business and the Op has no idea what the owner is getting off other people, I think they said they are in Dublin, but definitely they have an en suite, seems like they are aggrieved to pay for it and think the owner owes them some other obligations. Heard it before with people who seem to think there is an obligation to help or they will want some extra benefit.

There are aspects of rent a room I disagree with, but it sounds to me like the Op has generally had good dealings and a fair return for what they paid for.

The thread title should be changed, mostly inaccurate, Op is not a tenant, the owner is not a landlord, they arent even paying rent

True I should have mentioned I'm a licensee rather than a tenant. That was a genuine mistake on my part.

I know I'm not entitled to a rent book or letter in my situation. That's why I've been trying to keep accurate records. Also I did say to the landlord that I was agreeing to take the room if they could supply a letter to prove rent if I applied for a mortgage. It may be a verbal agreement but I was adamant about this.

I have signed a licensee agreement as well with rules and they've gotten me to refresh this every 12 months. Would I be entitled to a copy of this letter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Where did you find that information?

As a licensee you aren't so that information is correct.

1. Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

Well, so the OP says, maybe its true, maybe not, or maybe the owner changed their mind, thats allowable.
      The Op should have provided the correct information at the start, not 4 pages later. I have seen official sources mistake terminology and contradict other official sources, fact a homeowner is not a landlord, OP isnt a tenant.
      Ive rented houses and rooms in the past, there are differences.

Well obviously, we can only comment on what the OP says. Not sure what you mean about 4 pages later but he mentioned the verbal agreement in post #11 of the thread, I read the thread and commented on what I saw. If you feel the OP is not telling the truth then why would you even bother posting on the thread?

2. Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Retr0gamer wrote: »
      Massive house with lots of tenants.

Looking back & saw this. just curious about the set-up.

how does it work OP? is the house let out in bedsit type accomodation? Is the resident landlord living in their own private part of the house & renters have their own private 'flat' with use of a communal kitchen & living room.

I know a builder who did work in a house where three separate en-suite bedrooms were let to three renters. They had keys to front door & their own room had a yale lock. There was a shared kitchen & living room & garden. The 'LL lived in their own part of the house but the renters were definitely tenants.

Sorry if stupid question but what decides if a renter is actually a tenant or a licensee? Is it always when the 'LL is resident

Edit: afaik years ago, lodgings included food & cleaning. Renting bedsits were not classed as lodgers

3. Advertisement
    4. Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

MacDanger wrote: »
      you're entitled to 120 days notice

Assuming the landlord doesn't decide to do it on the non-payment-of-rent basis....

5. Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Is it always when the 'LL is resident

Pretty much yes.

6. Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

True I should have mentioned I'm a licensee rather than a tenant. That was a genuine mistake on my part.

I know I'm not entitled to a rent book or letter in my situation. That's why I've been trying to keep accurate records. Also I did say to the landlord that I was agreeing to take the room if they could supply a letter to prove rent if I applied for a mortgage. It may be a verbal agreement but I was adamant about this.

I have signed a licensee agreement as well with rules and they've gotten me to refresh this every 12 months. Would I be entitled to a copy of this letter?

You arent entitled to anything as a licensee, thats not being smart with you, thats a fact. If someone gives you anything, they may be giving you more rights than they are obliged to give you (which is little to none), because if it is their home, why would they?

SteM wrote: »
      Well obviously, we can only comment on what the OP says. Not sure what you mean about 4 pages later but he mentioned the verbal agreement in post #11 of the thread, I read the thread and commented on what I saw. If you feel the OP is not telling the truth then why would you even bother posting on the thread?

I I meant 4 pages of replies, or by the 49th post was the first mention I can see of being a licensee in an owners home and not a tenant as suggested by the thread title.
      Post 11 was the reason I replied, in support of the fact that a tenant cant be thrown out for asking for something they are entitled to, only later, as mentioned, was it highlighted about being a licensee, so it didnt seem to me they were being entirely accurate, if one slip is an error, it can also be seen as being more than that.

As for why would I reply, Ive dealt with these things and I think it is useful to have an opinion that doesnt necessarily agree with what someone is saying, or else it just becomes an echo chamber of your own opinions.
      Basically with people egging on a poster to round on a person (the homeowner). Ive mentioned there are aspects of rent a room I dont agree with, but the owner (occupier) has absolute rights, as it should be.

Also, having being a former landlord and also rented rooms in my home, I see more and more, where people are willing to drop anyone in what they think "it" is, most people who are working are up to their eyes in their own debt/life without the need for what I consider to a particularly nasty side of people (turning in everyone for relatively minor slights).
      Now if it was a landlord, they really should be completely up to speed on rights and obligations, imo anyone stepping on the toes of a homeowner is the tip of the spear to invading private property rights and foisting som financial burden on an owner.

I can understand the Ops want to buy thier own place, but the owner of the place he is in has no obligation to assist him/her with that, as nice as that may be. Personally I think its getting a bit too involved in someone else's life.

7. Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

Where did you find that information?

As I said, I’m not 100% sure, but it strikes me that anyone who pays money to another person for a service is entitled to receive an acknowledgement i.e. a receipt.
        In the UK a licencee who pays weekly is entitled to a rent book but not sure whether that applies here.

1. Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have signed an agreement twice with the landlord. Would I be entitled to a copy of this? Might be the next step if the broker can't sort something out.

2. Advertisement
      3. Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I have signed an agreement twice with the landlord. Would I be entitled to a copy of this? Might be the next step if the broker can't sort something out.

I don't think you're entitled to anything Retro, as a licensee you're basically a guest in their house. You can be turfed with no notice. That signed agreement is worth about as much as the stuff on the roll in the bathroom.

4. Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

theteal wrote: »
        You can be turfed with no notice.

This is not true - a licencee is entitled to “reasonable notice”!

5. Posts: 5,369 [Deleted User]

C3PO wrote: »
        As I said, I’m not 100% sure, but it strikes me that anyone who pays money to another person for a service is entitled to receive an acknowledgement i.e. a receipt.
        In the UK a licencee who pays weekly is entitled to a rent book but not sure whether that applies here.

Nope, they arent. You are confusing 'should' with 'is'. The UK is irelevant. We arent the UK. Licensee in a private home has zero tenant protections.

The RTB suggest 'reasonable notice' but theres no legal requirement. If there is, please show me the legislation. A someone who rents a room, it could effect me.
        theteal wrote: »
        I don't think you're entitled to anything Retro, as a licensee you're basically a guest in their house. You can be turfed with no notice. That signed agreement is worth about as much as the stuff on the roll in the bathroom.

A written and signed agreement is a contract. Tort could play a part if theres a written agreement stipulating a notice period but as its tort it would involve taking a private action against the other party. Not a realistic scenario in most cases and certainly not going to stop you being made homeless

Yes, both parties to an agreement are entitled to a copy but again, tort.

6. Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You arent entitled to anything as a licensee, thats not being smart with you, thats a fact. If someone gives you anything, they may be giving you more rights than they are obliged to give you (which is little to none), because if it is their home, why would they?

I I meant 4 pages of replies, or by the 49th post was the first mention I can see of being a licensee in an owners home and not a tenant as suggested by the thread title.
        Post 11 was the reason I replied, in support of the fact that a tenant cant be thrown out for asking for something they are entitled to, only later, as mentioned, was it highlighted about being a licensee, so it didnt seem to me they were being entirely accurate, if one slip is an error, it can also be seen as being more than that.

As for why would I reply, Ive dealt with these things and I think it is useful to have an opinion that doesnt necessarily agree with what someone is saying, or else it just becomes an echo chamber of your own opinions.
        Basically with people egging on a poster to round on a person (the homeowner). Ive mentioned there are aspects of rent a room I dont agree with, but the owner (occupier) has absolute rights, as it should be.

Also, having being a former landlord and also rented rooms in my home, I see more and more, where people are willing to drop anyone in what they think "it" is, most people who are working are up to their eyes in their own debt/life without the need for what I consider to a particularly nasty side of people (turning in everyone for relatively minor slights).
        Now if it was a landlord, they really should be completely up to speed on rights and obligations, imo anyone stepping on the toes of a homeowner is the tip of the spear to invading private property rights and foisting som financial burden on an owner.

I can understand the Ops want to buy thier own place, but the owner of the place he is in has no obligation to assist him/her with that, as nice as that may be. Personally I think its getting a bit too involved in someone else's life.

Could you stop derailing with your bizarre walls of copy and paste judgement please?

7. Posts: 5,369 [Deleted User]

noodler wrote: »
        Could you stop derailing with your bizarre walls of copy and paste judgement please?

Quoting the entire wall hardly helps!

8. Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

In my experience, there was no agreement, implicit or explicit, that I was getting a cheaper rate because I was paying cash, which could then effect my tenant rights later on. She told me it was just how she managed her properties. The fact that I was getting a receipt probably meant it didn't cross my mind - I thought she was just odd, maybe naively so.

That was the price she asked, it was the price I paid, with no negotiation. It still wasn't cheap (€160 p.w., 7-8 years ago).

I certainly wouldn't purposely try to cause issues for them after the event, but your assumption seems to be if you accept your rent being paid in cash, you have no complaint when the landlord doesn't uphold the obligations expected of a landlord. Can't say I agree with that.

In my experience, and opinion, landlords as you describe would be showing a bit of colour to Revenue. So, say 8 units, declare 3-5 of them as the total, keep everything sweet and you're very unlikely to get a physical visit. And therein lies the Revenue error. Always set foot on the battlefield, don't just rely on Intel and air superiority. The little guys are just little, not stupid.

9. Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Op, you mentioned contacting the council in one of your posts?
        Is this a council property sub-let?

Or is it the Landlords PPR? ie. his home, legally. Do you have a home address for him? If not, you're in his home maybe, he's shacked up elsewhere, and that's why he's doing things as he is.
        Are you registered at that address with Revenue?

Edit: I now see some crap about licensees. So forget my post above.
        Op, you need to be much clearer in your understanding of, and execution of your financial activities if you are aiming for a mortgage.
        But if you're effectively in digs, the homeowner should be claiming most of that rent income tax free on the Rent a Room scheme. If they're not, perhaps there's more to it, such as hiding income from an estranged spouse.
        Anyway, I'm out.

10. Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

An Ri rua wrote: »
        Op, you mentioned contacting the council in one of your posts?
        Is this a council property sub-let?

Or is it the Landlords PPR? ie. his home, legally. Do you have a home address for him? If not, you're in his home maybe, he's shacked up elsewhere, and that's why he's doing things as he is.
        Are you registered at that address with Revenue?

Nope none of that. And after reading up on it going to the council won't help as in a licensee. That's kind o the scenario I'd rather avoid anyway. Going to see what the broker can do for me first.

11. Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Nope none of that. And after reading up on it going to the council won't help as in a licensee. That's kind o the scenario I'd rather avoid anyway. Going to see what the broker can do for me first.

What would you be going to the council for??

12. Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

An Ri rua wrote: »
        What would you be going to the council for??

If you are a tenant and refused a rent book you are told to contact council.

13. Advertisement
      14. Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Reasonable notice could be anything, it depends on the circumstances, but it is up to the homeowner to decide.

noodler wrote: »

I was replying to posts, its your opinion it is derailing, but it's not, as I at least was replying to the posts I quoted, you are doing the exact same thing quoting me and then also not responding in anyway to what I've said.
        Maybe you should go moderate where you moderate, it looks to me like you're the one derailing.

Im quoting what Im replying to so it has context, I've seen other posters do this also in boards.
        Maybe it's that you dont like (ie agree with) what I'm replying with, twitter much?

If you dont like it, I would think it is better to move on past it and not let it bother you, so maybe best ignoring my post as you are not going to change my mind or view by taking a pot shot, at least post a reply with some kind opposing opinion.

15. Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

If you are a tenant and refused a rent book you are told to contact council.

how would the council be involved with private tenants or licencees? Is that not for council tenants? Who said you should contact the council

:confused:

16. Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

how would the council be involved with private tenants or licencees? Who said you should contact the council

:confused:

If memory serves me right, the LA is responsible for regulation of tenant rent books.

Edit. Yip.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/rent_books.html

17. Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The thread title should be changed, mostly inaccurate, Op is not a tenant, the owner is not a landlord, they arent even paying rent

Of course they're paying rent. It's literally called the Rent-A-Room scheme.

18. Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just to update, mortgage approval came through today.

Never got letter about rent.

I had been putting a lot away as savings, more than what my rent and bills were and also having the same amount coming out of my account at the same time each month as an atm transaction might have helped. The broker didn't say but she did say I had a good chance of getting it because of the savings.

Just glad it didn't get messy.

Time to start looking for a new pad.

Advertisement