Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn director Kevin Lunney assaulted by Bernard McGovern

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There was a 4 year long campaign of intimidation against him and other Quinn directors, Id very much say he was living his days in fear. Before his kidnapping there was bullets and a funeral wreath placed at his workplace and graffiti threatening his life. He was also violently assaulted by the boxer Bernard McGovern in the cafe. A week before the kidnapping the PSNI got intelligence to say an attack was imminent, presumably they would have warned Lunney himself of the danger he was in. The Gardai knew of the planned attack. So I think it is wrong to say he wasnt living his life in fear when there was over 70 incidents of intimidation against Lunney and his fellow directors in the lead up to his kidnapping and torture.

The timeline of this sustained campaign of intimidation against Lunney and other Quinn directors is here

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2021/11/09/news/mannok-timeline-of-violence-harassment-and-intimidation-2501997/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Stanley 1

Every priest worth his oats knows about the wealth of all the local parishioners, it's just makes good business sense, they all want the guaranteed trip to heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭obi604

Yeah. This exactly. As you say he has 4 years of this. And definitely looks like his life was indeed in danger.

And as I said, they had a lot of support also locally.

I'm well aware of all the attacks that occurred, as was Lunney himself obviously. So he didn't feel it necessary to leave his job, that he had been in all his life, I don't see why boards posters should put him down for staying at work.

He wasn't going to let the intimidation force him out of his job or locality and unfortunately he was the victim of a horrendous crime. Saying he should have left his position is very judgy by people who don't know all the details.

Like I said, there was a lot of support for the directors. It wasn't like they were living every day in fear.

What good is support locally, that doesnt make you stop fearing for your life when you are subject to a four year campaign of intimidation, harassment and death threats. His kids were being threatened, its not like he went 'ah sure Ive nothing to fear here becasue Ive got a few people supporting me locally', that would just be silly when there was a very real and active threat to his life.

Sean Quinn had far more support locally than Kevin Lunney anyway, there was a rally where literally 5,000 people showed up to support him. Lunney never had that, he was being ostracised by many in the community for taking over the company.

• Advertisement

Just because he didn't have a public rally, doesn't mean he didn't have plenty of support.

He was clearly the best judge for what was best for him and his family, and he chose to stay working. Can't see why posters on boards would try to put him down for that, especially seeing what he has been through!

Im not trying to put him down for any choice he made but you've said he wasnt in fear of his life when he actually was. He literally said this in the BBC Spotlight interview he did. Of course he was in fear of his life when he was under an active death threat, its completely wrong to say otherwise when he himself had spoken of the fear he was in for him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭obi604

I am not putting him down for not leaving. I just think he is a bit mad to have stayed considering all the threats to him, his family etc.

at the end of the day, it’s just a job, is any job worth putting you or your family at so much risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fr. D'Arcy is not Sean Quinn's parish priest. He is not a Diocesan priest at all.

He is a member of the Passionist Congregation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭growleaves

Take your point but he is from locale as indicated above by another poster but SQ is the largest human predator up there by the proverbial mile, every priest within a 100 miles of him would be aware.

In his younger days with Quinn Group, Lunney rose quickly to the top as he was seen as a rising star by SQ, there is a Board of Directors who run Mannox and Lunney is one of them, it ain't a SQ v Lunney confrontation, rather SQ is "disappointed" with annointed rising star is not playing the loyalty game with SQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’ve said this before but seeing how the world has changed since the 90s I’d love to shine a spotlight on Peter Quinn’s gaa presidential election, mod snip

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note

All just be careful when you are throwing accusations around. People with deep pockets can claim libel without missing a heartbeat and you and boards could easily end up in hot water unless you can definitively prove in a court that what you said is the truth. You can guarantee that this thread is being read by at least a person who knows someone involved. There is no anonymity with boards if the Gardai get involved.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

They were born in two rural areas about 8 miles apart.

Of course Sean Quinn has been very well known for many years.

Not sure what you mean by human predator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Lunney was right to stay on and stand up to the Quinns and the scum who tried to force him out.

Yeah for sure, Lunney worked for SQ group for years. In his tearful Im the victim interview with RTE Quinn said he treated Lunney like his own son and that his kids often played with Quinns grandkids. So youre right to say this dispute is about loyalty and Quinn feeling Lunney has been disloyal.

The thing is though an American investment fund came in and bought what was left of the Quinn group before it went to the wall. It wasnt like another bank was going to lend to Quinn at that point so the company was in huge trouble at the time and thousands of jobs were on the line. With his experience Lunney knew how to run the company and save the jobs locally and thats what he has done. Its not Lunneys fault Quinn went gambling on Anglo shares and sank his own company. Regardless of Quinn burying his own company he obviously feels Lunney should have went down with him. Thats where they diverge really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd guess the decision by the business to terminate the €400k per annum consultancy arrangement for SQ might have been a slight irritation for SQ also.

• Advertisement

He was well to the fore in the Quinn rent-a-crowd,a total narcissist who turns up at every freeloading opportunity whinging about being denied the chance to marry.

Why did he not get out of the club if they wouldnt change the rules to suit him.

yeah that was a big factor. The 400k consultancy fee was retirement money but Quinn saw his involvement with the company again as his opportunity to seize back control rather than go quietly into the night. He could have taken the 400k a year and played golf but his pride wouldnt allow him to. Id imagine it came to a head when Lunney had to make a decision about whether to back Quinn who couldnt borrow money or go with the American investment fund who had it on tap and could save the company and the jobs.

It has to be remembered as well that around 2012 Quinn wanted the Irish government to bail out his insurance company and for him to still retain control of it. We are bailing out his company right now for at least the next 30 years with that 1% levy on all insurance premiums but he actually wanted to still control it. This was after it came out that Quinn Insurance never employed actuaries to assess the risk of the insurance premiums they were selling. Operating an insurance company without actuaries is like throwing darts in the dark and hoping you hit profits. It was insane how he was running it and he wanted the taxpayer to allow him to continue to do so. He is still bitter about all of that in a 'Wheres my NAMA' kind of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ever notice that when any Irish entertainer dies , D'Arcy is interviewed and claims to have known them for forty years etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He started writing articles on the entertainment industry for Albert Reynolds, back in the ballroom of romance days. You may not like the guy, but he has credentials in that industry, probably since before you were born.

There's a lot more to the man than that.

Clerical celibacy is an unlikely addition to the issues being discussed here.

Quinn gobbles up everything that comes near him, he went into businesses he knew nothing about, whilst he was successful at CFDs early on he got greedy and went after Anglo with probably the idea of taking it over and he become the Celtic Tiger King.

He should have stuck with the knitting and the quarry business

I see, you meant in a business sense.

He wasn't the first and won't be the last businessman to stray from "the knitting" and get involved in other businesses.

Some of them seem to think that they have some kind of midas touch when in truth the real reason they did well was that they knew the job inside out.

Buying a pub or two and building an hotel was one thing but the CFDs, Anglo and insurance were serious overreaching.

I never did any business with Sean Quinn apart from buying some of his radiators but like a lot more I'm still picking up his insurance tab.

I never mentioned celibacy,it is a well known fact that a lot of clerics are not celibate but that has little to do with what we are talking about.

Didn't you ?

Only it looked like you did.

What were you referring to when you said ? -

"He was well to the fore in the Quinn rent-a-crowd,a total narcissist who turns up at every freeloading opportunity whinging about being denied the chance to marry.

Why did he not get out of the club if they wouldnt change the rules to suit him."

• Advertisement

Celibacy and marriage are not the same,many in a marriage are celibate and many who are not married are far from celibate.

Advertisement