Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a Site

Options
  • 23-03-2021 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

If you came into ownership of a site - i presume that it needs to be insured?

If so, what type of insurance would it be - would it come under normal home insurance or otherwise? There doesn't seem to be a specific "site" insurance that i can find.

If there was a derelict house on the site would it change the insurance type?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Degag wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

If you came into ownership of a site - i presume that it needs to be insured?

If so, what type of insurance would it be - would it come under normal home insurance or otherwise? There doesn't seem to be a specific "site" insurance that i can find.

If its self build there are brokers who will quote for self build insurance and the bank will require this before drawdown

If its a bare site then it's just a field, no? Do farmers have public liability insurance on their sheds and outbuildings in case of injury to trespassers?

If you are appointing a main contractor they will have their own insurance but you may need to keep your own cover in place also until you move in, at which point you take out a regular home insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

athlone573 wrote: »
    If its self build there are brokers who will quote for self build insurance and the bank will require this before drawdown

If its a bare site then it's just a field, no? Do farmers have public liability insurance on their sheds and outbuildings in case of injury to trespassers?

If you are appointing a main contractor they will have their own insurance but you may need to keep your own cover in place also until you move in, at which point you take out a regular home insurance policy.

It's a site with an old house on it. The plan is to either do it up or knock it and build afresh.

I don't know when this will be though, could be 6 months or 1 year+ so i guess i just need to get some sort of insurance in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

It's a site with an old house on it. The plan is to either do it up or knock it and build afresh.

I don't know when this will be though, could be 6 months or 1 year+ so i guess i just need to get some sort of insurance in place.

Yeah I don't know, good question, I'd be getting it boarded up and any pits filled or blocked off anyhow. Maybe call a few big brokers and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How near to Dublin/city is the site? Looking at it from the point of view of someone trying to squat. Would advise looking at the house for signs of anyone have lived there recently, and/or empty alcoholic beverages; derelict houses can be great spots for drinking in.

As has been said, consider boarding it up. Perhaps check with the insurer what is sufficent before spending money on boarding the place up, in case they need a certain standard that you need to comply with, to show that you have made a legit effort to disuade people from entering.

Also, depending on the area, put either security cameras on the house, or trail cameras nearby the house that will record movement which you can then check on a weekly basis.

Finally, if you don't intend to go there frequently, boulders on the road leading into the site may disuade people from bringing their caravans onto the site, who may equate boarded up house as an invitation to set up camp there.

=-=

Depending on age, check if anyone has listed it. Hope it's not thatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

the_syco wrote: »
    How near to Dublin/city is the site? Looking at it from the point of view of someone trying to squat. Would advise looking at the house for signs of anyone have lived there recently, and/or empty alcoholic beverages; derelict houses can be great spots for drinking in.

As has been said, consider boarding it up. Perhaps check with the insurer what is sufficent before spending money on boarding the place up, in case they need a certain standard that you need to comply with, to show that you have made a legit effort to disuade people from entering.

Also, depending on the area, put either security cameras on the house, or trail cameras nearby the house that will record movement which you can then check on a weekly basis.

Finally, if you don't intend to go there frequently, boulders on the road leading into the site may disuade people from bringing their caravans onto the site, who may equate boarded up house as an invitation to set up camp there.

=-=

Depending on age, check if anyone has listed it. Hope it's not thatched.

Thanks for the detailed post. In a rural area so the majority of the above doesn't apply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement